Politics

ABC is running a story about Government’s $30 million donation to Fox Sports, stated to be to encourage broadcasting of female, niche and community sports. Response to FOI request from DOCA was that it was satisfied documents coming within scope of request do not exist! Fifield won’t elaborate. Seems the money came from Fifield’s portfolio (Communication and the Arts) and not Hunt’s.

And that, folks, is how you run a propaganda organisation at a ‘loss’.

Centrelink overpayments are for a whole variety of reasons that can’t simply be part of a blanket dismissal.
Certainly they should be looked at individually rather than the appalling robo debts.
But many centrelink over payments are for people who are working, in a “relationship” or basically knowingly misrepresenting their circumstances.
Two completely different things.
But as for citizenship when I worked at the then Department of Social Security I came across heaps and heaps of people that didn’t know the full details of their citizenship.
Many thought they had become Australian citizens with their parents, others didn’t know they had dual nationality. Some have been born overseas come here as kids do and have no idea whether they are citizens or not.

Yeah, it’s not like 26% were themselves born overseas, 34% had both parents born overseas, and an additional 18% had one parent born overseas.

Both parents being non-treasonous locals is a minority…

Cool. I wonder if they’ll ever start doing it.

1 Like

Someone needs to tell Tony to shut up.

Which Tony ? There are so many Tones that are real dickheads.

It seems there was no business case, no conditions, no measures, no reporting terms. At least none that are documented in any form that makes them releasable via FOI.

On the face of it, just $30m of taxpayers money to bribe Rupe for favours.

2 Likes

Trippers mate Abbott

Good thing they pay their taxes then. Oh, hang on…

Andrew Barlett - watch this space

Three times LOL

Seriously?

Hey Senator, how about following up with the UK High Commission if you never received a response?

If he can prove he renounced it, does it matter what the Limeys think?

Renouncing doesn’t require permission.

I tried to renounce a wife like that once. I thought I made my best efforts, but the Family Court didn’t agree.

1 Like

Not just on the face of it, … but in reality too.

Wonder how much anti Shorten/Labor & pro Lib/rightwing nutjob propaganda / numpty brainwashing 30 mill buys across his media monopoly??

Just have a look back at the past 12 months or so …

As far as I can see they effectively took $50m off the ABC and gave most of it to Rupert Murdoch.

My situation entirely, I never knew that because my father held dual citizenship under Dutch law in the 70’s I did too

1 Like

The $30 million will cover the costs of due diligence to show they can’t do it.

And the other $29.99 million will go to supporting Rue’s propaganda machine.

The great Australian value of ‘a fair go’ and ‘look after your mates’ has been slowly diminished by conservative governments over the last 25 years.
They’ve justified and encouraged prejudice, egocentric and narcissistic individual values. They’ve achieved this by endorsing threats, fear and angst of minority groups. They’ve created a population feeling anxiety and anguish to semblant loss of financial, emotion, social and physical independents, which could be taken away at the click of a finger.

Since the formation of the country, Australia has always held strong values and commitments to supporting people doing it tough. A true patriarchal society.

Those days are long gone.

2 Likes

I agree, except I think you meant “egalitarian” rather than “patriarchal”.

2 Likes