Politics

No, I may not understand what your saying, it reads like your saying that he significance of the brithish arriving on Australian soil for colonisation is more important to be recognised as the nations Day for the majority, than it is to recognise that day marks the beginning of centuries of oppression for a minority, it’s cool for them to feel ■■■■ about it, but bad luck, majority wins? Is that what your saying?

ive always felt Australia Day should be on the date of federation fwiw

Obviously you’ve read why I think Federation Day is inappropriate.

I don’t understand where you’re seeing me as denying

I am explicitly not saying that.
More than once.
So…what are you on about?

Hmmm. I think the date chosen to mark a country’s birth says a lot about the country. And it doesn’t matter when Federation occured relative to other events. Its about the significance.

In Mexico, USA & India it is the anniversary of their independence from colonialism - the Mexicans don’t celebrate when Cortes arrived.
In NZ it is Treaty of Waitangi Day (you probably know this was the treaty between Maori & Pakeha that (in theory) ensured Maori rights under the protection of the crown).

2 Likes

I don’ t think either side of the argument is denying the 26th’s significance…

But, sure, there are plenty of dates if you want to be silly about it.
How about March 3, 1986, when the Queen let us be our own country with no interference from England?

Can you guys please stop ruining the echo chamber™?

I just looked up the date of the 67 referendum, … would have been a nice choice (when we acknowledged the originals as “people” in their own land, etc), … but *sigh * …Winter.

Well, usually these dates are significant from the point of view of emancipation or reconciliation or unification. Oz Day ain’t that - its significant but divisive.

1 Like

Do we have a public holiday that isn’t?

You are right on the Money Gnik.

Maybe we can make a “New” Oz Day, … when we finally sever the cord to Mother England and get our own Head of State.

( “Republic Day” just has a shittee ring to it anyway.)

2 Likes

Essendon are the best, chuck out the rest day.

Oh wait, that’s everyday!

2 Likes

I don’t hate that idea as much as a lot of others.

NYD probably.

Look, I don’t feel strongly either way about Oz Day, but I get that it has a polarising effect & must be deeply offensive to the indigenous, hence probably not the best day to pick for ‘birth of the nation’.

So its agreed - New Oz Day its is then…

Lol.

It is the birth of the nation.
Whether you choose that day to celebrate ‘Australia’, I’ll concede.
Not that the day suddenly doesn’t exist.

I can assure you that Invasion Day will remain if Australia Day is moved.
It’s not suddenly not going to be that day for either of them.

Unfortunately you don’t get to pick the day, it is what it is.

The day should receive recognition for what it was and what has happened since, perhaps not ‘celebrated’ by dressing up in the Australian flag and having a BBQ and beer but never the less it should be recognised as an important day for all of the reasons

2 Likes

Ok, it look’s like we’ve got this one sorted then, … next!!

(Oh, … and who’s going to tell those nuffies in Canberra? :thinking: )

Yep

BAN ANZAC DAY!

Well, … I really don’t think that’s a celebration.

Who would celebrate a heap of our forbears being used as cannon fodder & being sent into certain death by some stupid arrogant British fkwitz who didn’t care because “they’re only colonial’s from criminal stock”?

A Day is a solemn remembrance of that sacrifice.

Whatever day is chosen will still celebrate Australia, and the creation of Australia and its people was at the expense of the Aboriginal nations and theirs. The problem with Australia Day is Australia rather than the day.

I’m not sure that’s entirely accurate a summation…a lot of Englishmen died at Gallipoli, too.
But it’s a good example of a day that’s marked with…different sorts of emotions.

I don’t think we should get rid of it because they’re not entirely positive.

1 Like

My feeling is that the wide majority of the population wouldn’t care if you changed the name or moved it off Jan 26 or whatever you did, so long as there’s still a day off work in a warm weather month.

Make it January 6, to commemorate Don Bradman scoring 452*. We play backyard cricket to celebrate.

When do the Greeks jump off the pier to go and get that cross? Make that the day and we’ll all go to the beach.

Was there ever an aboriginal celebration around summer solstice or full moons? Make something that lines up with that. We all gather with our family/friends and have a BBQ.

Take away the fact it’s a day off work, and there’s no compelling reason to keep it on that specific date. Celebrating “being Australian” or whatever can be done whenever.