Politics

Yes even the Chinese allegedly in 1421

Perhaps we should resurrect Empire Day . (phonetically Eampaaare Dey)

Note up on the ABS site on Ministerial instructions to ABS to produce raw yes/ No results on SSM postal survey, as compared to using normal ABS statistical method in its surveys to weight the outcome.
However, the ABS notes it has the capacity to obtain participation rates by age, gender and Electoral Division (and State Territory) .

Now Deputy Nats Leader, . Fiona Nash is the latest to fall foul of dual citizenship ineligibility.

This whole house of crap could come tumbling down soon.

Expect the High Court judges to paper over the cracks and save the government.

Others have pointed out the irony of the staunch Tory conservatives always wanting the ā€œblack letter lawā€ and not want the High Court to read implied rights into the Constitution, now not only wanting them to magically do so, but downright decrlaring that they WILL do so.

There is nothing as hypocritical as Tory pollies, especially when they feel their born-to-rule rights threatened.

1 Like

If they paper over the cracks then surely there is precedent for the only to members who behaved honourably in this to immediately return to parliament.

4 Likes

Fionaā€™s problems are Bendigoā€™s gain. She has cancelled her media event in Bendigo tomorrow.
I wonder who outed her. Bernadi claims to be sitting on a list of possible dual citizens.

How slack are they (and their respective parties) all not to double check this stuff? Or is it some unwritten rule that none of them blab on each other?

Agreed, but there is no legal path for that to happen until the next election - but I hope to be wrong in thinking that.

Well we have a queen, she could dissolve parliament.

2 Likes

First off, it was a burqa (no eye slit).

She enters at six minutes into question time, if you wish to watch the replay.

Quality reactions from everyone. Sound is muted for a few seconds.

The President acknowledges the hubbub by noting Hanson was identified before entering, and that he will reflect on it rather than react immediately. Hinch is the first to stand to make comment via a Point of Order, after the next question, asking if he is allowed to come in ā€œfancy dressā€ too.

The President says heā€™s not going to dictate a standard of dress but will come back to that later.

Dastyari has the next question and is either lucky or quick to react: he asks Brandis for comment on the Trump government releasing a report identifying One Nation as a risk to religious freedom. Brandis avoids the question by noting heā€™s not aware of the document. ā€œA real liberal would condemn thisā€ adds Dastyari (not sure if that word is meant to be capitalised). Brandis does go a bit stronger come the final follow-up question where he says all Australian governments support religious freedom, and gives some examples (Constitution etc).

A few questions later, Hanson gets to ask her question (she would have known the order of questions in advance, of course) and unrobes. She gets a few words of editorialising in before Wong takes a Point of Order telling her to ask a question. The President agrees, and Hanson asks Brandis if heā€™ll ban the burqa throughout Australia. Sheā€™s clearly flustered by objections from the opposition side of the chamber, and doesnā€™t get her question out before running out of time.

Brandis is dead serious. He says it is absolutely consistent for a good Australian to be a strict muslim. He says ridiculing a community is appalling. He very politely says sheā€™s a farkwit who should reflect on what sheā€™s done, his voice shaking and his face flushing towards the end of the response.

He then gets unanimous applause from the opposition side, Hanson-Young being the first to stand in appreciation. Behind Brandis there are a few golf claps but mostly zero reaction. What a bunch of [insert your choice of strongest swear word]. Seriously that ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  me off.

Credit to Cormann for being the least arseholey of the front bench. Birmingham and belatedly Fifield, too.

The camera does a shaky unplanned pan back as the rest of Labour and the crossbench ultimately rise to applause.

Wong asks for leave to make a brief comment. Hanson objects, and no one is going to ask for a vote on it. Wong cheats by pretending to make a Point of Order, and slips a few words in to congratulate Brandis and to bag Hanson. They (the President? Clerks?) were unusually slow to cut her mic.

Follow-up question by Hanson is asking Brandis to ban the burqa in the Parliament: the President intervenes and points out he and the Speaker controls this kind of thing, not the minister, and that the current rules are fine.

Last follow-up question from Hanson: will the Government ban the burqa, similar to helmets, in banks? Brandis simply says ā€œNoā€.

[Is that helmet example actually governed by a law?]

Senator Birmingham is asked the next question and takes time at the start to point out it is an ā€œappropriate, important and relevant policy questionā€ā€¦ clearly a jab at Hanson.

[At some point during this question/answer Hanson left the chamber. I think it was as the question was being asked, because there was a bit of kerfuffle not obviously linked to the relatively innocuous question. What a coward.]

After that, Senator Di Natalie has the question, and notes the ā€œdisgraceful, disrespectful, shameful behaviourā€ of Hanson, and asks Brandis if there will be a Parliamentary Code of Multicultural Ethics that might prevent the actions seen in Parliament today. Such a proposal has been raised before but failed, and Brandis answers by simply saying ā€œI think this chamber has shown during this Question Time that is perfectly able through its own spontaneous voice to deal with such mattersā€.

In his final supplementary question, Di Natale congratulates Brandis for his ā€œstrong impassioned personal responseā€ to Hansonā€™s question and thanks him for showing leadership in this chamber. The President says ā€œIā€™ll take that as a commentā€, and when Senator McDonald of the government murmurs Di Nataleā€™s comment should have been ruled out of order, the President acknowledges that is true but just doesnā€™t do so. Thereā€™s fairly broad off-screen ruckus, from the Governmentā€™s side, at him refusing to rule it out of order, but the President donā€™t give a ā– ā– ā– ā– .

Much later, Gavin Marshall (ALP) is asking Brandis a question and also thanks him for not being arseholey.

The broadcast of Question Time is then cut off at the hour mark.

P.S. LOL at Hanson-Young and then the President mixing up her and Hansonā€™s name.

6 Likes

I know what I wrote above is long but I greatly implore you to read it (and hopefully watch the relevant bits of the Question Time itself ā€“ use the above to skip the boring bits). The stunt isnā€™t the important bit: the important bit is how so many people so clearly demonstrated what kind of people they were.

7 Likes

Excellent point DJR. I wasnā€™t overly surprised Hanson would try something like this, but Brandis being the one to rip through her? My eyebrows nearly reached the back of my neck.

1 Like

Iā€™m thinking itā€™s become a case of keeping your head down and hoping youā€™re not outed and that the high court makes it all go away. Clearly there are numbers on the governmentā€™s side who are in the proverbial excrement and they are being slowly fed to the lions to extract maximum damage.

What surprised me even more was the fact that not one guard pulled her up in her Muslim garb, not one. She walked front the front door, down hallways into the Chamber. This is completely unsatisfactory SECURITY.

Those who are blaming her future radicalization through humiliation of Muslim youth are jumping the gun. I think it will happen with or without Pauline. My concern is the lack of safety not so much for politicians but everyone. With all the security in Canberra, one would think anything different, would be immediately questioned. Not so.

Its been dealt with in the politics thread, she was identified

1 Like

lol, everyone knew it was her

1 Like

Brandis was brilliant. The finest political speeches are always given off the cuff and that one was a cracker. Strong, authoritative, compassionate.

1 Like

The speaker said straight away that security had already IDā€™d her as Senator Hanson.

I find it really weird when pollies do that nearly crying thing over something thatā€™s not even personal to them. The Brandis speech was good but weird.