Politics

If the Liberal Democrats, One Nation and Australian Conservatives merged after Christmas, I would not be surprised. Then expect a few of the hard right of the Coalition to move that direction as well.

There have been suggestions that Pauline wanted Anning to resign during his Senate term to allow Roberts to come back in. As Anning has only recently avoided bankruptcy, a Senatorā€™s salary could be attractive.
There had also been suggestions that Hollie Hughes had been asked to do something similar to allow Nash back in, but she refused. Now sheā€™s off to the HC.

So Lambie is going to resign as she is also a dual citizen.

I cannot remotely fathom why even Hanson would WANT Roberts back. Heā€™s been a national laughing stock since he got elected, and a running sore of Dumb that Hanson keeps being forced to talk about when sheā€™d prefer to be talking about how we should burn Tim Flannery to generate electricity and deport everyone without at least three grandparents named Bruce.

Surely sheā€™d be (quietly) happy to get the useless ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  out of the way, and would be better off throwing him under the bus & making nice with his successor?

2 Likes

You are making far too many assumptions about the intelligence of Hanson. She canā€™t think to that level in any way shape or form.

2 Likes

Nothing to do with Hansonā€¦itā€™s all about what Ashby wants.

Donā€™t forget heā€™s the flog who triggered the Slipper fiascoā€¦the second Slipper fiasco after he betrayed his electorate so he could wear fancy robes.

The worldā€™s a strange place when I kinda regret to see her leave. Sheā€™s a writeoff on the Islam & climate change stuff, but on other matters sheā€™s actually grown into an occasional unexpected voice of reason and integrity.

Itā€™s taken her years, but sheā€™s NEARLY gotten to the point Ricky Muir did by the end of his career. That guy was a genuine loss to the parliament.

And sheā€™s said sheā€™s not going to try to coax her successor into stepping aside for her, too. Something about ā€˜thatā€™s the law and I have to suck it upā€™. Rare thing, these days.

1 Like

Keneally to go up against John Alexander in the Bennelong by election will be interesting.

Funny that HM, but I have a grudging respect for her as well. and her performances in Parliament were good and was honest and straight-forward, which is a rarity in the Senate.

1 Like

Whilst I understand the constitutional limitations, isnā€™t it a bit odd that someone who is entitled to UK citizenship is not entitled to serve in parliament, but politicians must make an oath to the Queen of the UK in order to serve in that same parliament?

Do an audit of all sitting members and sort it out. If that results in yet another election, then so be it. The current set-up is a farce at the moment.

Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a joke in here somewhere about Lambie and a hung parliament. I just canā€™t put my finger on it.

2 Likes

Well, hung parliaments are no laughing matter.

1 Like

Well, hung parliaments can lead to lengthy sessions.

1 Like

It is, but itā€™s the same for everyone. Itā€™s generally a pretty simple matter to renounce a foreign passport.

I just canā€™t believe the arrogance of anyone who wants to make/change laws, not having even read the laws that apply to them? Theyā€™ll happily cry ā€œunconstitutionalā€ every second week, clearly a number of them havenā€™t read the damned thing.

1 Like

I still find it a bit weird that itā€™s all about renouncing a foreign passport that theyā€™ve never applied for or used, in some cases in countries theyā€™ve never been to.

Agree that thems the rules and theyā€™re the same for everyone. Just do a farking audit of everyone in the joint, regardless of what party they are in and get on with the what they are supposed to do; govern the farking country.

1 Like

Can be up all night at timesā€¦

We have to have an election now surely?

2 Likes

Hanson seems to be completely blind to what would be considered ā€œlaughing stockā€.

I think thereā€™s still enough conservative independents to protect the Libs from supply/confidence votes in parliament, even if the ALP wins the Bennelong by election.

Thereā€™s no way in hell the Libs will voluntarily call an election now, 10 points behind in the polls, and with nasty internal fights over SSM legislation and preferencing One Nation coming up. Theyā€™ll hang into minority govt for as long as they possibly can in the hope that things will miraculously improve somehow. Hell, given that 2016 was a double dissolution election, I donā€™t think itā€™s even LEGAL for them to call an election til mid next year at the earliest.

The only way thereā€™ll be an election out of this is if the Libs lose enough MPs to 44, then lose enough of the by elections, that they lose a no-confidence vote in parliament.

1 Like

I agree. I reckon itā€™s outrageous for another country to say ā€œyouā€™re a citizen of oursā€ rather than ā€œif you want, you can apply to be a citizen of oursā€. Might have been useful for applying for European work visas but I doubt many Australian-born citizens would hold a passport like this, and vote in their elections.