Politics

Neither of the above. Not Labor either.

1 Like

Maybe you would like the Australian Progressives https://www.progressives.org.au/

Surely you can find some common ground with one of the current 49 registered political parties, we donā€™t need anymore.

http://www.aec.gov.au/Parties_and_Representatives/party_registration/Registered_parties/

Not that Iā€™m in Queensland, but I find it hard to find a party to vote for.

1 Like

Thatā€™s why the green preferences were so important - if the greens preferenced one nation we might have had PHON win 23 seats!

lol

Greens pref PHON.?? Sure.

Green preferences in the 23 seats were irrelevant. It was Labor or LNP preference that kept them out.

1 Like

Sorry, I was exaggerating slightly, but in my electorate for example ALP were just edging out LNP, but preferences from the Greens should put them over the line. Plenty more electorates like that.

If Greens had preferenced LNP we probably would have seen a different result (obviously people are free to fill out the ballot any way they choose, but many follow the how to vote flyers)

Labor are a basket case and should fold. That way weā€™d have some actual socially progressive policy rather than Liberal Lite.

1 Like

`Laborā€™s greatest social flaw is its refugee policy. It started with Beazley on the Tampa and was resurrected by Rudd when he got reinstated. Now, it has no influence

Labor State Government in Vic, Qld, WA, SA, and after the next election in Canberra.

Yep really no influence at all.

And while I do agree the the treatment of refugees is a disgrace. It would have been sorted if Greens didnā€™t vote with Libs on bringing down Malaysian option

1 Like

Sorry BF, I meant no influence in refugee policy. On other matters, against the odds Gillard got Gonski and NDIS up and in Victoria, Andrews is a social progressive.
However, Labor policy on funding to private schools is dodgy as was its support for the chaplaincy fund.

Funding to private schools policy has been dodgy ever since Gough overturned policy to get the Catholic vote in 1969

Get ready for the stoush following the proposed merger of MUA, TCFUA and CFMEU. . Employers are opposed, Cash is supposed to be bringing forward a bill to impose a public interest test to Union mergers.
Evan Hannan has an article in Australian 28 November.

M U A
HERE TO STAY

More than a few questions about Sam Dastyari.

For all intents and purposes, he is far more in contravention of Section 44 than the others who had citizenship thrust upon them by foreign countries.

3 Likes

Guy needs to be run out of Canberra on a rail.

Liability to his country, and even his party now. Why does he even have a job? If Shorten ACTUALLY leads the ALP heā€™ll be having a quiet word in some back rooms to the effect that dastyari might want to start exploring other lines of work, cos he wonā€™t be getting pre-selected next election.

3 Likes

Another article on Mr Snack Pack tonight. If Shorten has any balls heā€™ll sack him tomorrow.

Which I guess means heā€™s safe.

Dastyari is a fool, but Turnbull is going over the top in referring to the phone tapping tip off as compromising national security surveillance. There are a lot of people in Canberra who sssume their phones are probably being tapped - without being told so- and who donā€™t want the minutae of their private lives overheard.
I donā€™t see anything sinister in that in itself.

AFP got a big hit from the Ombudsman for unlawfully tapping journalists phones and for saying that they destroyed the records when they had not
Plibersek asking about the source of the advice that Dastyari tipped off his contact on the pro ability of phone tapping.