Politics

At lying! Juliar was a rare talent at lying even for a politician.

Remember Howard’s core and non-core promises. What he said.

3 Likes

Remember that Juliar only got into power on the basis of a lie. A dirty deal with the greens.

How about the Andrew Bolt fans go ■■■■ themselves. Ever since Tones performance you don’t have a leg to stand on.

Oh and the single worst lie told by a prime minister, is that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. We started a pointless war still causing reverberations today.

2 Likes

Worth remembering that even the USA and UK have both had serious, genuine inquiries about how they stuffed up so badly and ended up invading Iraq based on lies and fast talk. We’re very very overdue to do the same. I’ll never understand why Rudd or Gillard didn’t start one, especially given that the ALP opposed the invasion back in 2003.

4 Likes

Ah ignorance is bliss.

ALP under Crean was more equivocal - he did not support withdrawal of troops - and seemingly had caucus support after initially declaring invasion was wrong without UN endorsement.

Yes I feel sorry for you.

1 Like

What a ■■■■ weak response. No prize for second, numbskull.

The Dumb is strong in this one. Completely Murfoched.

Likely buys apple products too …

Gillard achieved more in 3 years than Howard did in 11.

4 Likes

I couldn’t stand Howard but as much as I’d like to think otherwise this sadly just isn’t true.

Yep, I think peoples view is tainted by the second half of Howard and Costello when it was just tax cuts and middle class welfare as the cash rolled in. However the girst two terms they did a lot. Off the top of my head,

Redid the tax act
GST
Corps law
APRA
Navigated insurance breakdown from HIH collapse
Made RBA independent
Gun laws
A lot of other industrial relations and tax reforms

I didn’t like Howard becuase of his wedge politics and dog whistling. But they did tackle serious reform in their first couple of terms. I wish Turnbull was doing similar today.

2 Likes

Undortunately, both sides of politics are so preoccupied with keeping their jobs when they’re in power that they don’t have the guts for genuine reform.

2 Likes

Agreed. You can add to that…,

Completely reshaped the tertiary education sector via funding cuts, massively expanding prepaid entries, VSU, and huge HECS hikes

Began the conversion of the CSIRO to a govt-owned contract engineering firm

Normalised climate denial (or at least the utter neglect of climate policy) in Australian political life

I despise Howard, but he had a massive and profound impact on Australia and Australian politics. For the worse mostly, but you can’t deny it happened.

3 Likes

May I also add the politicization of the public service. We are still reeling from the massive cuts too.

3 Likes

They’re not backpackers, they are mentally ill travellers. Anyone who doesn’t think we should provide a safe space where they can freely exercise their culture of trashing the place is a practically Hitler.

BTW - was there even any suggestion the group at StKilda were anything but “party goers”??? Residents stated its an annual event & the police estimated over 5000 were there.

Spreading fake news again?

East Timor