Politics

I tend to agree with you.

I wonder why more Police didn’t attend and arrest the farkers.

Agreed when it comes to debt.

1 Like

lol

Are there any conservative voters in the Public Service?

Most of the ones I’ve met are your stereotypical overpaid, underworked, Guardian reading snobs - emergency workers are the exception.

But as a matter of interest how have any Public Service cuts impacted every day Australians?

Public servants serve the government of the day. We are apolitical in terms of completing our duties and functions. I was referring to Howard sacking Secretary’s.

As a public servant your post is offensive- we work damn hard to best serve the Australian community. And I’ve worked both civilian and police, and don’t see much difference.

Cuts affect grants, programmes, innovation, technology and services from lack of qualified staff. Ever waited online for Centrelink or Medicare? You think police are properly funded?

Public servants are easy targets for you. How about you step up and do something to serve the community.

7 Likes

Not the slightest hint of elitism there at all…

1 Like

Staff reductions within the ATO have impacted upon the ATO’s tax law enforcement and revenue raising capabilities.

This impacts upon all Australians.

1 Like

Same with DHS.

I’m just one of those poor suburban plebs who pays taxes that keeps public servants employed.

Obviously I’m not a privileged Canberrian who gets to slave for 7.5 hours a day, 46 weeks of the year with unlimited leave provisions.

just keep going with the fake news - none of your descriptions fits my life as a public servant.

1 Like

In case you were wondering we pay taxes too. 4 weeks leave.

Sounds like you need a union to fight for workers rights.

2 Likes

Sounds like it needs a frontal lobotomy…:roll_eyes:

You can very easily recognise someone who knows nothing about the public service when they

1. believe that all (or even the majority) of public servants work in canberra, rather than in a thousand different local offices all over the country
  2. believe that public servants in general are anything other than average middle-class suburban workers on the whole
  3. believe that public servants are on some mythical and ludicrously generous pay/conditions scheme. Maybe 30 or 40 years ago, but these days they’re generally paid under market rate and have the same bog-standard leave allocations and working hours as everyone else in full-time work.
  4. are SURE that public servants don’t do anything useful. So I’m sure that they’d be completely happy to live in a country without customs, and quarantine, and food standards inspectors, and a functioning medicare system, and ASIC, and any service paid for with taxes, and national water management, and pensions, and anything developed or discovered by the CSIRO, and veteran’s services, and so on and so on.

Hey Trip, has it occurred to you that the thugs locking up refugees without trial and denying them medical care stalwart heroes of Border Force defending our precious bodily fluids sovereignty come under the auspices of ‘public servant’? I’m sure you’d have no problems defunding them, then?

9 Likes

Does the 4 weeks include the week between Xmas and New Year?
Because that would make it 5 weeks, would it not?

And most other workplaces do not get 15-18 sick/carers leave per year which is also accruable. The larger APS agencies have a take-up rate of this largesse of around 14 days per person per year.

Not to mention that it is almost impossible to be dismissed.

I’m in a big department and we do not have stand down over Christmas. Also for those that do, it isn’t extra leave, they negotiated it in their respective enterprise agreements by working extra time each day.

I also haven’t had a pay rise in close to 4 years now. Yeah, doing it easy in the public service.

It’s a misnomer you can’t get dismissed in the PS. We have numerous oversight bodies any of which can terminate employment for misconduct, breach of the APS code and integrity.

Without a quality, staffed and dedicated public service how the fark do you think this country operates???

3 Likes

Interesting question given many on here seem to believe the country is in complete disarray especially when their party isn’t in power.

The country seems to operate between Xmas and New Year when they’re all on leave.

In any case, you have extrapolated my original criticisms of the APS into a generalization that I want the whole of the APS disbanded.
Nice try though !!!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/worksafe-documents-reveal-164million-paid-to-public-service-staff-in-201617-compensation-claims/news-story/e2eee44672b04843621e74ac224b71cd

PUBLIC servants have pocketed compensation for injuries suffered falling off segways, walking a work dog, and during a drumbeat workshop.

WorkSafe was inundated with almost 1500 claims from public servants, including teachers and hospital staff, in 2016-17. A dossier obtained by the Herald Sun shows the claims included:

$23,000 for tennis elbow caused by constantly locking and unlocking doors.

$22,412 for repetitive strain injury from minuting meetings.

$5000 for a fall from a segway during a team bonding exercise — one of two segway falls.

$1917 for pain after a student “deliberately popped plastic lunch bag next to my ear”.

$2890 for “strain” after an awkward flight home from a school camp to China.

$3544 for anxiety caused by having to take annual leave at short notice.

Other bizarre claims were for a lower back injury during a drumbeat workshop and a hernia caused by a work dog pulling away as the employee was scooping up its excrement.

The Government is complete disarray, but the PS keeps the place rolling along. Same things occurs no matter who is in power and at Federal, State and Local Government levels.

2 Likes

Got any comparable sources you could quote on absenteeism .?
All carers / sick leave is accountable and must be substantiated ( for sick leave , certified over 3 days, strict conditions on carers leave) .
If you are on 24/7 call, no loading for working outside standard hours ( which are pretty much irrelevant) and overtime not payable above a certain level.
When something hits the fan, we get desperate trying to find someone in the private sector outside 9 to 5 and weekends.

2 Likes

So it doesn’t really matter who is in Gvt for how the place is run? What are you ALP fanbois so butthurt about then?