Politics

I don’t know where that comes from. Did someone say differently?

Do you have a real example in Victoria of these absurd outcomes? The article mentioned a hypothetical scenario that “might” happen but no specifics. Also since when has preventing crime or recidivism been the aims of punishments? I don’t believe the community expectation is that mandatory sentencing would or could reduce crime, I believe people want criminals properly punished for what they’ve done.

Well, yeah.
I’m saying violent crimes deserve mandatory sentencing.
And I’m including home invasion even without violence.

So yes, I think we’re on pretty different pages here.
And if I wasn’t clear before, there are few things I could care less about on this earth than the welfare of people who commit violent crimes or invade the one place that every single Australian should feel safe in.

1 Like

I give up, I’m not advocating letting violent offenders off, . who would?

Simply saying, as I did about saunas not “Detoxing”, … that it is proven that Man Sentencing does not reduce crime,… but rather leads to an increase in it in most instances, and many unjust outcomes,

Just because you don’t have MS does not mean violent offenders don’t get an appropriate sentence when they should.

Somehow, you seem to assume that one thing begets the other, … and I have no idea how that argument is made?

I agree, we seem to be at an impasse.
It seems neither of us is hearing the other.

I think you’re conflating issues and putting words in my mouth.

Facts are facts, it doesn’t work. It’s really that simple.

I’m not.
And I’d like to think you know that.

You say it doesn’t work.
I say, have we really given it a go?

Edit: Look, at heart I’m a leftie, so I know the whole thing about jail capacity and tax and so on.
But are you really telling me, that if home invasions had a six month minimum jail term, that there would not be less home invasions?

If you are, and perhaps you’re not, but if you are then I disagree.
I think that taboo is a very powerful thing.

And I posted the evidence to say yes, we did, here, in this very state, just 7 years ago, … and then what that produced, … but …

This was mandatory sentencing purely on violent crime, yes?

Or let’s look at this from the other perspective.
Does violent crime sometimes return a guilty verdict without conviction?

Perhaps you could justify that, rather than me coming from the other side.

If it were up to me, the killers of Jill Maher, Sarah Cafferty,(and all similar criminals) would be exterminated, …and every child molester ever, especially Priests. /Clergy, neutered and never let out.

But mandatory sentencing, is proven to not work, and leads only to some very unjust sentencing.

Theft is theft, … you stole a loaf of bread, & the fact you were starving because you couldn’t go home because your Stepfather raped you every night is of no import. 2 years … NEXT!

Nope.
Not sure at all how you got that from me, but I’m not arguing shoplifting…or dial it up…truck-full-of-product-stealing is violent theft, at all.
You raise a knife to someone’s throat, see you in ten years.
You borrow a truck full of wizz-fizz while no-one’s looking?
Naughty boy, don’t do it again.

You set foot in another man’s house while they’re sleeping?
Oooooh, baby. Hope you didn’t want to see Hawthorn’s next flag.

The step-father thing is on you, I think.

:roll_eyes:

I was going to say you’re missing the point, … but I think maybe you just don’t want to see it. That’s your choice to make I s’pose.

Won’t change the facts though.

I don’t know what perovia is and I think your call for me to be euthanized is a little harsh…

… but I think she was trying to contrast how the Maori culture was celebrated in NZ compared to how our indigenous culture is treated here.

1 Like

You’re right.
That was harsh.
But I think you recognise the issue, I’m not sure, have no reason to believe, that the cartoonist gets what you do.

It’s unfair.
It’s unforgivably stupid.
I’m no fan of Turnbull, but this actually goes beyond him.

It’s saying the leader of Australia and therefore Australia is racist because it doesn’t teach the one indigenous language in Australian schools like it is in NZ.

So, fark that.
And fark him.

Do you have an example of these unjust sentencing outcomes? Given we have seen what many consider unjust sentences handed out to people like Jill Meagher’s killer (the previous convictions) then is it possible that your imagined injustices pail in comparison to the actual injustices we’ve seen without mandatory sentences?

Just Google Mandatory sentencing and read.

This is not a debate anymore, and hasn’t been for eons…

The jury is long in on this, gone home, had dinner, a bath, a quick shagg, and is fast asleep.

How many times does a thing have to be implemented and not work, before you say, Ok, … that doesn’t fking work??

It really is a no brainer.

Is the bullshit three strikes thing part of this?
Because that’s not whatI’m about at all.

And…by now, kinda think you know that.

Unjust/inadequate sentencing, and or increasing possible sentences because they are not sufficient, … is a completely different & separate issue to MS ing.

Is that where this is going wrong maybe?

The only disproportianate sentences I’ve heard against a criminal, both her and in the US, is because of the stupid, stupid, stupid, three strikes policy.

I’ve heard of a LOT of disproportionate sentences here going the other way.
One in NW WA would make your blood curdle.

Edit: But you know what? I don’t need to tell you about that.
How many times do you need to hear about someone on bail from a violent crime killing someone?