Politics

An offender serving 5 years is a lot less likely to commit a home invasion, car jacking, or aggregated burglary whilst serving that time than a similar offender who gets community service, bail whilst already bailed, or no conviction because he “really a good boy” with a disadvantaged background and we should feel sorry for him.

Lock 'em away for a long time with no parole IMO. Hell, I’m sure Manus Island wouldn’t need much of a spruce up!

Australia Day: Most Australians don’t mind what date it’s held, according to new poll

AM By political reporter Stephanie Borys
3-4 minutes

Do we need to change the date of Australia Day? Fifty-six per cent of Australians don’t mind when it’s held, just so long as there is a national day of celebration, according to a new poll.
Key points:

• Less than half of respondents identified the First Fleet as the reason why January 26 is the current date
  • Greens leader Richard Di Natale says the results demonstrate “a great opportunity to move the nation forward”
  • Nearly half — 49 per cent — of those surveyed believe Australia Day should not be on a day that is offensive to Indigenous Australians

But less than half were able to identify the arrival of the First Fleet as the reason why January 26 was chosen.

The poll was conducted by Canberra think-tank The Australia Institute, and released amid increased debate about the date.

Greens leader Richard Di Natale has launched a renewed campaign for change and jumped on the figures.

“What it does demonstrate is there is a great opportunity to move the nation forward, to choose a day that allows us to celebrate all the things that it means to be Australian,” he said.

But Citizenship and Multicultural Affairs Minister Alan Tudge is adamant there is no need for change.

“It [January 26] is a great unifying moment for this country where we properly celebrate our history, our Indigenous heritage, our British foundations and the multicultural character of this nation,” he said.

The poll revealed that nearly half those surveyed believe Australia Day should not be on a day that is offensive to Indigenous Australians.

’Still quite a divisive debate that is still not settled’

The Australia Institute deputy director Ebony Bennett said 37 per cent believe the current date is offensive.

“I think we are looking at still quite a divisive debate that is still not settled,” she said.

There was no clear answer for what date Australia Day should be moved to if such a decision was ever made.

“Some people chose when Australia was named Australia, some people chose events that haven’t happened yet —like signing a treaty with the Aboriginal people of Australia or when Australia becomes a republic,” Ms Bennett said.

“So I think that’s still a live debate, but it shows people are willing to engage in that debate.”

Senator Di Natale wants any change to be discussed comprehensibly.

“I think that’s part of an ongoing conversation that we need to have, I think the first thing to do is to continue to have this national conversation with the Australian community,” he said.

’Go f–k yourself’- Cory Bernardi slammed by musicians for Australia Day 100
By Riley Morgan
3 minutes

Senator Cory Bernardi and the Australian Conservatives have come under fire after creating an Australia Day Spotify playlist as an alternative to triple j’s iconic Hottest 100.

The announcement read: “Cory Bernardi launches the #AC100, an alternative to Triple J’s ‘Hottest 100’ after they abandoned Australia Day.”

“As taxpayer-funded triple j and their ‘Hottest 100’ abandon our national day for political correctness, we’re inviting you to cast your vote by telling us your favourite 3 tracks from our #AC100 playlist.”

The playlist was met with fervent backlash from Savage Garden lead singer Darren Hayes, who was not happy with his music being used to promote the Australian Conservatives agenda.

“Hi Cory Bernardi and Australian Conservatives. I do not want to be associated with you, your party or your views. Remove my music from this stunt or expect contact from my publisher,” he wrote during a series of Twitter posts.

Australian hip-hop band the Hilltop Hoods expressed their message in a short and sharp tweet.

“Go f*** yourself Cory Bernardi,” it read.

Senator Bernardi responded on ABC Radio on Thursday claiming it was part of his party’s move to encourage Australians to celebrate Australia Day.

When he was asked if he was politicising the music for his party’s movement, the senator hit back claiming the name doesn’t matter.

“So here we go, all of a sudden I am not allowed to create a playlist on a music streaming service, to which I subscribe, because I’m politicising it?” he said.

"This is nonsensical. We have established the name doesn’t matter. Let’s be clear, I’ve created a playlist, you have seized upon a tweet by an Australian artist, who I don’t even know lives in the country, who doesn’t want to be on the playlist.

“This is the type of intolerant censorship we have warned about for such a long time.”

Senator Bernardi added that artists should not be allowed to decide if their music is used in playlists just because they don’t agree with someone’s political view.

Radio host Hamish McDonald hit back claiming Mr Hayes was upset because the playlist was being publicised as part of the party’s movement since it was all over its social media feed, but Senator Bernardi denied the claim.

“[Darren Hayes] gets a royalty for every time it’s played, he should be thanking us,” the senator said.

“This is the blurring of lines between what people are allowed to do and this forced ideological blinker thinking when you get abuse because someone thinks differently to you,” he added.

SBS News has reached out to the Hilltop Hoods for comment.

3 Likes

An age survey. Must be true because it’s "according to a new poll ". Luckily that poll is highly unlikely to be influenced by the fact that the Age is a left wing opinion piece that is in a slow death roll that it richly deserves.
Clearly I’m having an opposite day. Sadly you are not embarrassed by posting this crap.

Personally, I find it sad (but unsurprising) that 36% strongly disagree that AD should be on a day that is not offensive to indigenous Australians.

1 Like

delete

Lets see eh?

Should Oz Day remain on Jan 26th?

• Yes

• No

• Don’t care, as long as we have one (and I get a public holiday, and theDJR gets two)

0 voters

so changing the date is left?

seems everything i agree with and you dislike is left. is marzipan left?

1 Like

can I add

1. ’ don’t care when, and it stays a public holiday" :slight_smile:
1 Like

I expect it’s implicit that the Hol comes with the day, … but JIC, I tried to add (& it’s a Public Holiday) to option 3, but not allowed to alter after 5 minutes without mod assist, … Ohhh Daaaaa aaavvvee!! @theDJR

1 Like

So you’ll be happy with a further monolopy of the press by Murdoch then?

3 Likes

Any right winger would be … deliriously so.

1 Like

The woman quoted from the survey is a former Greens campaign director and media adviser.

A small part of the story that the ‘Independent Always’ Fairfax organisation omitted.

Fairly relevant I would have thought given the Greens are the ones trying to change the date.

1 Like

and a majority of the Aboriginal population.

and people who give a ■■■■ about our nation

1 Like

FB_IMG_1516273129836

Nice deep Simpsons cut for yous guys

Malcolm Turnbull and Michaelia Cash are trying to spin the latest unemployment figures.

Here are the facts.

• The unemployment rate has increased to 5.5%.
  • There are 730,600 unemployed Australians - that’s 37,800 more people unemployed than when the Abbott-Turnbull Government was first elected.
  • There are almost 1.1 million underemployed Australians looking for more work, but unable to find it.
  • Together that is more than 1.8 million Australians who are under-employed or unemployed.

Turnbull and Cash have nothing to be proud of.

Coal mines and coal fired power plants will help.

As will running an “African Gangs” fear campaign. No doubt.

People are too scared to go to work.

4 Likes

I am really surprised this has not been celebrated?

For the calendar year of 2017 398k NET jobs were added to the economy, highest since records began in 1978

Employment participation rate rose to 65.7% in December, highest in 7 years (explains the rise in unemployment rate)

More jobs and more people trying to work. Tick and Tick

Why are people so bearish about Australia?