Politics

Mmm. Insightful. I lived there in the Olsen era. The place was going backwards.

1 Like

Olsen was terrible.
Labor have been on the nose for years here but have capitalised on the Libs infighting and incompetence. The people had finally have had enough though

Liberals should have won in SA in 2010 and should’ve won in 2014 by one of the biggest landslides in Australian History but were thwarted by the most corrupt political gerrymander in history

The 2014 SA election result was an out and out disgrace to democracy

1 Like

To cap of the day it was great seeing that grub Mr X lose his own seat

4 Likes

He never had it, did he? Thought he left federal parliament for this seat.

1 Like

No, should of said he was contesting it for the first time and in a bit of an upset he didn’t win. Likely that his party won’t get a single seat which is great

4 Likes

Four months ago polls were showing that SA Best had just over 30% of the vote and Nick Xenophon would be the preferred Premier.

I worked at a booth in Bundoora yesterday, which was won in 2016 by Libs. Yesterday Labor vote in this booth was solid but it was won by Greens. Seems Liberals are turning Green !

The result did surprise me, in spite of Ged Kearney being an incredible candidate and massive hard work put in by Labor volunteers to get our message across.

Greens are on the way out, and their long slow decline begins.

Now that is a massive statement.

The electorates in SA were put together by the "Independent Authority ", I seem to recall back in Qld when Joh and his Mates would draw up the electorates themselves.

In any case, elections in Australia have both to do with democracy.

1 Like

You do not know how it works.

Anotny Green wrote a blog post about it:

Antony Green’s Election Blog

1 Like

What was the Australian Conservatives Vote in that booth? It was in the Libs interest for the Greens to win. My guess is that Liberal voters could not bring themselves to vote Labor, but were also antagonistic to Bernadi’s mob.

Needless to say Ged Kearney is not my cup of tea but kudos to her - she seemed to work really hard during the campaign.
I would think 75% of a typical Liberal voter would rather vote Labor over The Greens if a gun was held to their heads…
However important to bear in mind, that Batman is a very wealthy electorate full of white collar workers and doctors wives. For them, the choice comes down to Greens versus Liberal most of the time.

I echo your thoughts on The Greens. Miserable, sad looking lot who are dirty on the world despite having most things in their life gifted to them on a platter. Their candidate was a shocker. What exactly was she going to bring to the table for that electorate?

It was about 11%.

Not too many ‘white collar workers and doctors wives’ in Reservoir or Preston.

Far out, you write a lot of ignorant rubbish.
As a matter of interest, where do you live?
Do you get out much?
Ever been out of Australia?

1 Like

So, higher than the overall 6.5% for the AC.
Must have been the doctors wives.
Great analysis there by E12, ignored the Bell Street line. Bundoora seems to be an anomaly.

Except of course the fact that the Greens candidate is a doctors wife who lives in Preston so there’s that.

Preston used to be a working class suburb like Brunswick, Coburg, Pascoe Vale etc but it hasn’t been that for at least a decade now. Many of the old houses have been torn down to make way for units or extended to more modern sized houses. When you’re looking at around 1mil for a basic property its not exactly blue collar outside those who have lived their for 30+ years. There isn’t much industry left in the area either.

Batman is made up of more than Reservoir and Preston.

Median house price in Preston is just under a million now I believe.
Greens are so out of touch that they think this is living in poverty.

No kidding.
Its also made up of more than Westgarth and the Sumner Estate.