Politics

I read all that stuff on the SA electoral boundaries and it seems really farked to me.

It would be more democratic perhaps to just draw straight lines on maps making all electorates having the same numbers of voters instead of putting bias into the calculation.

Now whether or nor Labor should have been dumped depends on your point of view, but it is very different when a Party actually improves it 2PP by nearly 2% and actually 4 or 5 seats.

The worlds smallest violin plays.

Heh.

He said he had already sold down shares from $250,000 to $200,000 to cover living expenses for him and his wife, who lived off about $86,000 a year combined, and he was ā€œjust scraping byā€ after six years of fully self-funded retirement.

@Essendon12 your mate Corey did well on the weekend. 3.5% of the upper house vote in SA his home state.

I thought he represented the ordinary conservative voter and was going to change the political landscape.

1 Like

There is a good article about this on the ABC site. Estimates are the costs will ramp up from $5.5 Billion now to $60 billion per year in a decade.

It is disgraceful that the Tories will not support sensible reform in this area.

$86,000 tax free income !!!

Poor old bloke, he probably has to eat the domestic caviar now and not the beluga.

4 Likes

Religious too!

Are you sure you dont have a Degined Benefit scheme set up from when you worked with the company who printed WWI Bonds?

1 Like

They fired me and in those days, you lost your DB entitlement.

Didnā€™t have the bowler hat and furled up brolly quite right.

2 Likes

Definitely disappointing at face value. Hard to comment though as not really across their campaign or candidates.

I still believe that support for them will eventually come.

1 Like

Life goals.

All of the benefits without any of the hard work. Kudos my friend

Do I now have to imagine benfti driving his SUV ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  to the gills to pick up the kids from private school?

Edit: Just like there are no sniffer dogs at fashion week, could you imagine the panic of a booze bus at a private school at 3pm.

3 Likes

Eh?

The distribution of a dividend to a shareholder is only income to the shareholder. It should not be subject to any type of imputation or gross up.

When you purchase a service or good in Australia, youā€™re paying a tax (GST) using income that is already taxed - I donā€™t see any credits available to offset my tax position there.

So if you used dividend income to buy something something subject to GST, it would be subject to three layers of tax, and you think that is a good idea? Alright comrade!

The effective tax rate could be as high asā€¦ 30% company taxā€¦ x 49% personal tax on what remainsā€¦ x 1/11th GST of what remainsā€¦thatā€™s 67.5% effective tax rate.

Iā€™m sure this is going to sound dumb, but how does this compare to bank interest?
The bank, allegedly, sometimes, pays tax.

Lol !!!

Wellā€¦I guess the way I think about itā€¦

The interest paid to you on your savings have been treated like an operating cost to the bankā€¦and no taxes have been paid on that stream before it arrives in your hands.

The return achieved on shareholder capital is firstly taxed as the companyā€™s profit or loss. Then the company makes a decision about how much to distribute as dividendsā€¦The debate here is how to conduct that potential second stage of taxation when it arrives in the shareholders handsā€¦The current imputation system effectively cancels out the first stage of company taxation, so the investor pays tax at a rate that reflects their personal situation.

Summing all that up - it ends up making the tax treatment for (shareholder capital) dividends the same as the tax treatment on (bank savings) interestā€¦with no tax paid prior to arriving in the investorā€™s hands.

I think.

Even with your dumbed down summary, I still didnā€™t get it.
It sounds like you agree that dividends should be treated as investment interest.

Is a deposit not an investment in the company?

Anyway, donā€™t care.
Rebates on shares income is middle (cough) class welfare, pure and simple.
Does it suck for those it impacts?
Sure.
Just donā€™t frigginā€™ tell me youā€™re entitled.

1 Like

Donā€™t we do just that when we fill up our cars, buy cigs or booze? Weā€™re paying fuel tax and GST for a product paid for on income thatā€™s already taxed. At least thatā€™s how it is here in Canada.

Itā€™s one of the most regressive taxes in the world and costs this government billions. It should be scrapped entirely.

So while many other couples are playing doctor, youā€™re playingā€¦plumber?

1 Like