Politics

In fact I dare say it’d be a ■■■■■■ hoot of a Christmas, love to be at that table.

It would be a bit awkward if it was also a ■■■■ film set.

3 Likes

There is a video on Youtube called “Australia: A Country Without Crisis”. Sometimes you need to have an outside view to see how good you have it.

I always view speeches such as this as a two step process. Listen to what they say AND THEN establish the veracity of what is being said. Such a what a lot of what people say is from a point of view (well duh!).

I found the example of what happened with Yassmin Abdel-Magied quite interesting. I do believe she was hounded out of the country largely by the very people who carp on about free speech. At the same time I do not agree with a lot of what she says and think she is a grand standing attention seeker.

She left because she was finally caught out as being an uninformed idiot and that her days of grants and freebies were about to be over.

As is typical of these types, instead of taking responsibility she played the gender/race/religion card and fled in embarrassment.

Hardly a ‘peasant’ artist.
He went to Oxford.

I disagree with this.

She made a number of statements (a number of which I personally found erroneous).She has the right to say it. Others have the right to disagree, point out the errors or disagree purely on what they prefer. But others (many of whom became very offended and invoked free speech when their views on same sex marriage were questioned) were compelled to ensure that her comments were met with threats to her livelihood.

I repeat that I disagree with much of what she says. But she has the right to offer her opinion.

1 Like

All artists are peasants in the eyes of their betters, richer and poorer. Subtleties of meaning E12. Feel them as they whisper by your eraser head.

Of course she has the right to an opinion.

But if she is stupid enough not to understand that her public comments would be at odds with the standards expected of her employer, then that’s her problem not anyone else’s.

She is nothing but an idiot who is all style but no substance. And she got found out in the end.

I’d hardly call him an artist either. Most of his works are barely readable. One of these writers who spends 200 words describing something that could be explained in 10.

The Left eat that sort of nonsense up though. In their world, the more words you use, the more intellectual you are.

There’s that ‘Left’ again. This is why you get called a troll. But I will give you this, you’re definitely a far better writer than either Flanagan. You should apply for a grant. Poetry is what you make.

Incidentally Richard won a scholarship to Oxford after leaving school at 16.

Mirrors Tony Abbott’s experience in a way. Although I’m not sure Flanagan had quite as much help getting there.

1 Like

Abbott came from a privileged background, private school results just average, but had the lobbying of George Pell and co to get his Rhodes scholarship. Flanagan got his on merit, has worked on labouring jobs to support his income as a writer.
And Abbott has been dipping into the public purse forever, reportedly even claiming a daily living allowance on his recent coal bike ride.

3 Likes

And, after winning the Booker prize, Flanagan donated his prize from the Prime Minister’s award to the Indigenous literary fund, saying that the $50k from Booker could keep him afloat.

1 Like

Conjecture about the role of Alan Jones and Rene Rivkin also reasonable. If I’m not misremembering the push was in part from a certain Lil Johnny Howard to have a Rhodes scholar in the wings to match Labor’s Hawke. Never a party to obsess on the appearance of things.

Your constant verbosity disproves your point.

1 Like

As Gach Nuyon’s sister pointed out recently on Q&A, if you are not Euro and come from a refugee background, you are held to a different standard - don’t publicly voice criticisms of the society you live in. If it had been a Euro bloke in a suit, would not have caused a ripple.

You are such a moron. I didn’t agree with Richard Flanagans speech, but you again you go way over the top.

He has more literary awards that you would ever have, comes from a fine family with a fascinating father, who by the way taught at least one blitzer from Tassie. and brother Martin, is one of the few good Journos.

You can be educated and working class. You are obviously neither.

2 Likes

And you’re like ‘school on a Saturday’

Hang on - didn’t you call me a **** for agreeing with you.

Literary awards don’t mean anything - they are generally voted on by elitist wankers for elitist wankers. The proof in the pudding is how many actual people buy their books. That determines a good author. Not if Ms Bonnington-Smith from Newtown on the Arts Council thinks he/she is worthy of an award.

A evening of The Best at E12’s place -

Let me read to you from Da Vinci Code while we listen to the Eagles Greatest Hits. Later we can watch Gone With The Wind while sharing a bottle of Yellowglen.

8 Likes