Politics

This whole dead clients getting charged for advice thing isn’t isolated to AMP or Commbank. I can tell you virtually every company has these and not the company, nor the financial planners name attached to them actually care.

There are good financial planners out there but the whole thing was built on a load of shonk and quite frankly there is still a lot of work to be done before they can gain my respect.

2 Likes

You’re a genius!

*could we work hamsters in there somehow?

I think the issue is with the way the issue is raised. Like you I don’t mind people pointing out foibles. But I think it was you who pointed out earlier that the default position is to shame people into action. Therefore people will make a blanket statement akin to “Australia is racist”. Rather than pointing out particular practices or things that can be improved.
I think the aim of that game is to stop people from debating the issue you are bringing up. The simple act of disagreeing is signal that you are by default, racist.

Concur.
It’s Trump-breeding.
The far left like to think they drag the acceptable position to the left, when what they actually do is push the actual left to the centre and the centre to the right.

And that’s not a point of view they would apply to the other side.
That the ugly far right drags people further to the right.
Both sides repel the majority.

Anyway, there’s no debating nonsense.
Especially when, as you say, their rebuttal is ‘you’re just racist.’

That’s all an aside.
My real question is who the hell is calling Australia racist?
I went to see Ivan at the comedy festival, Venezuelan guy, who said Australia is ‘a little bit racist…’
This is just after telling us what an abortion his home country is right now.

Now that doesn’t make me want to say ‘go back to where you came from.’
It does make me want to yell out, ‘well, yeah, if only we could be more like your country.’

Comparing one country with another is not what Flanagan was about and tends to whitewash the problems in our own society. The refugee policies are pretty much bipartisan, as with indigenous recognition. Resolution seems to be off the agenda of both major parties . Beazley’s position on the Tampa was the start of the rot.

Comparing ourselves with other countries isn’t to rest on our laurels.
It’s simply to stand up for ourselves.
We cop the ‘racist’ tag from a nation that systemically prevents citizens of a certain skin colour from voting (after four hundred years, it’s actually blurring the lines on ‘race’, so let’s call it what it is; skin colour).

To which I say, ■■■■. off.

I’m not copping that, and neither should you.
From anyone.

We have work to do, yes.
And we always will.
But, again, Australia is racist?
Is just far leftist bullshit that hinders Far more than it helps.

Edit: And if the progressive Muslim lady would like to tell me how the growing Chinese population in her home country is faring, then I’m all ears.

Edit: Edit: I know I’m going on. I’m sorry, but seriously…
To hear people from one of the most racist and shockingly sexist nations on this planet, India, talk down to Australians on human rights issues…
I’m all mugato.jpg
■■■■■■■ really?
You’re going to tell us how a functioning society should be?

1 Like

Unemployed do the whittling, obese people use those floating peddle-bike things to get the plastic out to the reef? Unemployment, pollution and obesity epidemics solved. Plus, we could get those little generator things we used to have on bikes as kids, put them on the floaty bikes and - Presto! Renewable power source.

I’m on a farking roll!

1 Like

Well beyond the capabilities of any agency in this country as it would take planning, ability, initiative and action. Scarce commodities in Australia.

Better chance of getting a pig to fly.

2 Likes

And someone would pull a NIMBY on it.

2 Likes

For the record, Yasmin Abdel-Magied was born in the Sudan and is a dual Sudan- Australian citizen .
She has been sponsored to go to other countries promoting Australian democracy and inclusiveness.
Back in Australia, It seems that to be accepted she should not criticise anything about Australia. She is not saying that problems are lesser in other countries, but it may have been wiser for her to preface her comments in that way.

ScoMo even reckons it’s Shorten’s fault it took so long because he was just trying to point score with a populist move. Now that the LNP have been forced into going for it it’s suddenly their great idea. No contradiction there.

1 Like

And you’re straw womaning the ■■■■ out of this one example as well. You make it sound like there are thousands of Indians with placards outside your window. (She’s not Indian btw)

The point is we have had the opportunity to be the best possible country and people we could be. Very little was not provided for us. If you reckon we’ve done alright then fine, but if you also can’t cop internal or external criticism then you’re championing the status quo and you’re the worst kind of conservative. My opinion, we were a better nation in many ways before Howard’s decade. My opinion. So much we could’ve done well we have done miserably.

1 Like

No.
If my point wasn’t central, then let me make it so.

Australians have no problem with migrants sharing their plight.

Not at all.
What they, and when I say they I mean…what…95? 90 percent of the population? have a problem with is the assertion that Australia is a racist country.
This is objectively bullshit, and should be stated as such.
You say we shouldn’t compare ourselves to other countries. I’m sorry, but realistically what else is there to compare us to?

The fact is, Australia wears the reputation of being one of the most racist nations on earth when it is one of the least racist.

I’ve done the US, India, let’s turn our attention to Japan.
Though it is said that Ethnic Japanese make up 98.5% of the total population and that the rest are Koreans 0.5%, Chinese 0.4%, other 0.6%,[1] in fact these numbers are not known. The Ministry of Justice in Japan conflates nationality with ethnicity, and they have no official data on the actual ethnic breakdown of people in Japan.[2]

98.5%!
This is a place that has so little ethnic diversity that they’ve taken to abusing their own race with less regarded occupations!
But if Japan wants to call Australia racist?
Well, that’s fine.
Obviously they’re right.

■■■■. Off.

2 Likes

Oh hell yeah, we were.
That doesn’t change what we still are.

And obviously she’s not Indian.
I can do the situation in the Sudan if you’d like.
How do you think I’ll fare?

We are not perfect, but we are pretty farking good. I have been to nearly every country on this earth, and comparatively we have little to complain about.

Copping criticism is fine with me, but just harping on the negative turns people to right wing nutters like Dutton.

2 Likes

Refugee policy is not bipartisan at all.

Labor had a different solution, good or bad, but the Greens and Liberals stopped that. Today’s Labor policy is nothing like the LNP.

People trading will never get my support.
Whether it’s to Malaysia or the US.
Whether it’s by the Libs or the ALP.

Anyway, I know you don’t agree with ALP refugee policy.

Yep I always have thought that the stuff about people dying at sea was crocodile tears by many Labor MPs.

We had a session with Labor for Refugees who have put up a new policy for Labors National Conference later in year. They have very wide support and should have the numbers to make it policy.

It will not make Pauline and Sgt Dutton happy, but will wedge the Greens.

OK, I have to show my ignorance and ask…there seems to be bipartisan support on boat people. To me it has been bipartisan because either a) both major parties have received advice from authorities that this IS the best way to prevent deaths at sea or b) it’s a vote winner (which does unfortunately point to latent racism in the electorate).
Or is the above a false dichotomy?

2 Likes

Usually a bipartisan approach is due to it costing too many votes to disagree. For example the M1 in Queensland is getting more money, both parties agree because it will cost too many votes not to.

I reckon a nice big recycle plant out in the middle of nowhere where it could be serviced by a billion solar panels would be a winner. Train the rubbish in, train the recycled products out. NIMBY not a problem as the backyard is massive. Would cost a bomb, but would create a heap of jobs…

2 Likes