Politics

Of course it’s anti bullying.

Becuase you can’t have the Marxist safe schools program and its gay grooming materials.

How sad that this is the actual reason.

2 Likes

$50m for a Captain Cook statue, nothing for indigenous or convicts. The Canadian Government has put up monuments in Australia for Canadian convicts transported to Australia

2 Likes

ASIC are actually a waste of space.

Now if they did what we expect a Corporate Regulator to do, then we would all be better off, but under successive Governments both Red and Blue, all they are is a revenue earner.

So it seems their budget is $320M, but by my calculations they charge the over 2.239 million corporations in Australia $254 each year to maintain registration. So that is an income of towards $600M. Nice returns, and if you are late paying, the fines are ridiculous, making Banks look like wildlife shelters.

3 Likes

Reading more about the tax cuts, fmd the liberals basically want to institute a flat tax system? The gall of them, thought it was a wet dream they would keep to themselves as its too embarassing to say out loud. Surely nobody is silly enough to vote for them now.

2 Likes

Never underestimate the stupidity of the electorate, nor the ability of Rupert and his cronies to manipulate their “thinking”.

5 Likes

Labor leader Bill Shorten has asked backbencher Anne Aly to confirm her citizenship status with the Egyptian embassy.

Dr Aly was born in Egypt but came to Australia with her parents when she was two.

The citizenship register shows she wrote to the Egyptian embassy in May 2016 before the last election to relinquish her Egyptian citizenship.

A letter from the Egyptian embassy said “the request was presented by [Dr] Aly on May 4, 2016”, but the letter itself is dated July 31, 2017 which is after the election.

Mr Shorten said he had spoken to Dr Aly this morning and she advised him she had confirmation of renunciation of Egyptian citizenship in May 2016.

she’s gone.

Just as with the ACCC, the government requires that ASIC generates a proportion of its income.
As to legal costs, I am not sure how much comes from the Attorney General’s budget, but they are forced to use private sector lawyers to some extent, even where the in house lawyers may have more expertise.
That’s what was happening in the Victorian Justice Department until it was stopped because of budget blow outs.

Safe!

bad call by me!

IiRC, it cost her and Dastyri a five figure sum each to go through the processes.
Foreign governments would not like getting caught up in our domestic politics, but the High Court has to defer to foreign law in rulings on our own Constitution.

It should be law that all politicians who have been found to be ineligible because of dual citizenship should have to reimburse the Commonwealth for all wages and allowances derived during their period in ineligibility.

But fat chance of any of these incompetent self serving scum bags being held to financial account.

that vetting process tho

Some foreign citizenship laws are complex and keep changing. For instance at one time in the UK you could not acquire citizenship through a mother, then only if the mother was married. It is the luck of the draw depending on date of birth and the date laws changed, also when dual citizenship became legal in a particular country. Corman did not have to go through any processes, because at the time he took out Australian citizenship he automatically lost his Belgian citizenship. Others had to spend a small fortune to renounce.

Except Big A, ASIC is a profit centre. As I said they force all Companies to pay a fee each year and my figure work out to about A$600 million income.

Damn, was hoping it was true so I could use WALK LIKE AN EGYPTIAN.

1 Like

The CBA settled $25m with ASIC for rate rigging and was fined $3m for charging for financial advice which was never given. Two problems I see with ASIC as currently constructed :
One is legislative limits on what it can pursue, which may explain why there is a class action after what came out at the Royal Commission,
Two is the cost of prosecuting, coupled with the need to earn revenue, which I suspect results in ASIC going for the big results and neglecting other breaches.

Another small business failure.

Tinfoil hat time here…

Pigeon.