Poll : Who will get the Upgrade Nod for TBC?

Ambrose more likely to be elevated than Dell'Olio. 

Steinberg possibly more likely than Ambrose.

Doubt any upgrade will occur, unless of course Ryder were to go down, in which case Thurlow would be upgraded. 

If they were all on the senior list already though, Steinberg would be the closest to games.

How is Ambrose more likely than Dell. He is (vaguley) similar to Stein, whom we admittedly have a need for type-wise. 

So you either go for the TBC like-for-like in Thurlow

Or you go for the "there's a him-shaped hole in the side and he's training the house down" Steinberg

Or you go for the "by all reports training well and think we have a need and/or want to see more of him" Dell

But I can't see how you'd go for Ambrose at this stage.

It's all speculation at this stage anyway. Despite how well we get treated to training reports, it's still not enough to really gauge how ready somebody is. I think the NAB will be a great opportunity for all the guys mentioned to push their case for a round 1 spot. Because that's what it's really about in the end. You only promote somebody if they are actually going to play seniors.

But yeah... saying Ambrose more likely than Dell, based on what we currently know, is quite a strange statement.   

It's all speculation at this stage anyway. Despite how well we get treated to training reports, it's still not enough to really gauge how ready somebody is. I think the NAB will be a great opportunity for all the guys mentioned to push their case for a round 1 spot. Because that's what it's really about in the end. You only promote somebody if they are actually going to play seniors.

But yeah... saying Ambrose more likely than Dell, based on what we currently know, is quite a strange statement.   

I don't really see a spot for Dell there, at any point. So I, personally, would have him last by default.

I agree that, based on what we've seen & know thus far, Stein would be ahead of Ambrose; but by how much is a different question.

Doubt any upgrade will occur, unless of course Ryder were to go down, in which case Thurlow would be upgraded. 

If they were all on the senior list already though, Steinberg would be the closest to games.

How is Ambrose more likely than Dell. He is (vaguley) similar to Stein, whom we admittedly have a need for type-wise. 

Or you go for the "there's a him-shaped hole in the side and he's training the house down" Steinberg

Or you go for the "by all reports training well and think we have a need and/or want to see more of him" Dell

We have limited depth in KPFs hence why Steinberg is at the top of the tree. But imo Steinberg is not light years ahead of Ambrose, or at least there is a chance with a good pre-season comp that Ambrose could overtake Steinberg. Training reports for sure have been very complimentary of Steinberg, but they have also been very positive on Ambrose. At this stage I don't think we have seen enough to emphatically say that Steinberg is the absolute #1 choice of KPFs on the rookie list, so Ambrose is still an option. 

With Winderlich and Chapman fit, we don't have much use for Dell'Olio. This is even if he tears the NAB series to shreads. 

Different story if we are talking about the mid-year upgrade when one of those older guys are quite likely to be injured. 

Bomber seems pretty content to let JD pinch hit. I’ll be surprised if it is thurlow

Bomber seems pretty content to let JD pinch hit. I'll be surprised if it is thurlow

pinch hit yes

whilst TBC is out, what would we do if Ryder gets suspended or injured?

He'd just play Daniher in ruck.   Much like Freo had to do with Hannath whilst Sandi, Griffen, Clarke etc were out.  Its not like its Christian Bock, Daniher isn't that much skinnier than those he'd be up against.  If he was needed to play full-time ruck in he would go.

As Bomber said the other day, he feels we have 3 capable ruck/fwds.  And yes one might go down but chances of 2 or 3 going down slim.   
They would be ropeable with Ryder if he got suspended within the first 5rnds though. Already copped the wrath last year and kept out of side while Daniher got a few games. 

We need the capable 3rd tall fwd moreso than upgrading another ruck IMO, and Steinberg appears to be on form the way to go. Plus he is quite versatile, if a backman went down in the game and we had to change up team he could play in defence as well. 

We have limited depth in KPFs hence why Steinberg is at the top of the tree. But imo Steinberg is not light years ahead of Ambrose, or at least there is a chance with a good pre-season comp that Ambrose could overtake Steinberg. Training reports for sure have been very complimentary of Steinberg, but they have also been very positive on Ambrose. At this stage I don't think we have seen enough to emphatically say that Steinberg is the absolute #1 choice of KPFs on the rookie list, so Ambrose is still an option. 

With Winderlich and Chapman fit, we don't have much use for Dell'Olio. This is even if he tears the NAB series to shreads. 

Different story if we are talking about the mid-year upgrade when one of those older guys are quite likely to be injured. 

If Dell'Olio tears up the NAB series, and none of the other rookies fire a shot, and Hardingham shows that he can fill the third tall forward position if required, and Bomba really doesn't care about ruck insurance, then Dell'Olio could be in line for Kommer's spot. 

Pretty unlikely I guess, but the point is that I don't agree that Winderlich and Chapman eliminate the need for another dangerous, goal-kicking small forward. Winderlich is quite a different player to both Chapman and Dell'Olio, being quite capable of playing either a third tall (i.e. leading-marking) role or a high HFF role. Meanwhile, Kommer would want to show a greater proclivity for hitting the scoreboard soon or else he will have to fight it out with some stiff competition for a midfield rotation.

Having said that, the "wait-and-see" response is obviously the only correct one. It is entirely possible that TBC will return to the side with none of the rookies having played a senior game.

I guess it will depend on the quality of opposition ruckman in the first few rounds that TBC is injured as to whether 2 genuine rucks are needed.

What if we go Dell, allowing Chappy to have bursts in the middle?

I have no idea how Steinberg could have 78 votes to Dell's 6. That's 13 to 1.

Given Bombas comment re: Rucks & JM's & other watchers reports on The Stein, Dell, Ambrose & even Rayner, I think this could be a chook raffle.

Will we up Thurlow just in case Paddy smacks someone? Or is a 3rd tall or small forward the ticket?

Bomber said he isn't exactly fussed in having another ruck so I'm assuming it won't be thurlow

Given Bombas comment re: Rucks & JM's & other watchers reports on The Stein, Dell, Ambrose & even Rayner, I think this could be a chook raffle.

Will we up Thurlow just in case Paddy smacks someone? Or is a 3rd tall or small forward the ticket?

Bomber said he isn't exactly fussed in having another ruck so I'm assuming it won't be thurlow

Might be exactly why it will be too. ;)

Logical replacement would be Thurlow. But like others have mentioned before, Bomber seems confident in Daniher to share the load with Paddy for 4-5 weeks.

Don't think Ambrose or Rayner are ready for AFL just yet, so it'd have to be between Steinberg and Cory Dell. According to training reports, you'd pick Steinberg since Bomber did say there is a spot in the fwd line for the mid sizers.

Cory Dell has competition. Licha, Chappy are locks you'd think for rd 1. Then you have Kommer and the Merretts. 

Bomber seems pretty content to let JD pinch hit. I'll be surprised if it is thurlow

pinch hit yes

That's when you'd upgrade Thurlow, if he was the best possible tall fwd/ruck replacement at the time.

pinch hit yes

That's when you'd upgrade Thurlow, if he was the best possible tall fwd/ruck replacement at the time.

And a big reason why they mightn't upgrade anyone, yet - at least not until the last couple of weeks of eligibility.

Really think Thurlow will get the nod, Steinberg is a gun though I really hope he gets his chance.

I dont understand why anyone thinks thurlow after bombers comments. He’s clearly quite happy to run the gauntlet of paddy/joe combination for 5 weeks or so

it’ll be stein or dell imo

I don't know why? Crameri leaving has left us a third tall down, that is the role that Steinberg plays, he is also training well and improving, hence why he is being voted for.
Dell'Olio on the other hand is a small forward, who I personally don't rate that much at all, however this is irrelevant but what isn't is the fact we have 2 A-Grade smalls in Chapman and Winderlich with Kommer also capable of playing this position.

I don't know why? Crameri leaving has left us a third tall down, that is the role that Steinberg plays, he is also training well and improving, hence why he is being voted for.
Dell'Olio on the other hand is a small forward, who I personally don't rate that much at all, however this is irrelevant but what isn't is the fact we have 2 A-Grade smalls in Chapman and Winderlich with Kommer also capable of playing this position.

Just as Crameri leaves a hole for Steinberg, Davey leaves a hole for Dell'Olio. Winderlich isn't a front-and-centre crumber. Chappy is pretty good at it, but may be pushed further up the ground. Kommer doesn't hit the scoreboard. Personally I think we are crying out for a genuine goalsneak, and Dell'Olio is the most natural player we have at that position. And I suspect Hardingham would be a long way ahead of Steinberg for that mid-sized forward role, but for reasons I don't know people seem to think Steinberg and even Ambrose are the only two candidates for that role.