Post-draft Best 22

I didn't have Gleeson in mine, and really that's an oversight. Statistically he has improved each year so there is no reason he won't continue to do the same. It was a glorified praccy match sure, but I did like him getting more involved running down the ground and (just) hitting the scoreboard. He's in for mine and if he can manage 10 goals or so from the backline, then he will further add to his value

Gleeson has looked very good this pre-season. To date he has only kicked 4 goals in his 51 game career, so Iā€™m not sure how the ā€œAttacking Marty Partyā€ is going to go in terms of getting on the scoreboard regularly. But we will see. As you say, seeing him run with the ball in the pre-season has given his game a possible additional dimension / weapon.

I didn't have Gleeson in mine, and really that's an oversight. Statistically he has improved each year so there is no reason he won't continue to do the same. It was a glorified praccy match sure, but I did like him getting more involved running down the ground and (just) hitting the scoreboard. He's in for mine and if he can manage 10 goals or so from the backline, then he will further add to his value

Gleeson has looked very good this pre-season. To date he has only kicked 4 goals in his 51 game career, so Iā€™m not sure how the ā€œAttacking Marty Partyā€ is going to go in terms of getting on the scoreboard regularly. But we will see. As you say, seeing him run with the ball in the pre-season has given his game a possible additional dimension / weapon.

He scored 2 points against the pies last week, He has definitely been given the license to attack. He will hit the scoreboard this year, Just needs to be accurate.

He scored 2 points against the pies last week, He has definitely been given the license to attack. He will hit the scoreboard this year, Just needs to be accurate.

Heā€™s had a couple of pings at goal in intra-club this preseason and also missed. Iā€™d just like him [smart play] to try to lower his eyes and hit someone up, or back peddle a little to buy some time then lay off.

McKenna is not an elite kick. He can make elite kicks but they are mixed in with howlers, which mostly will come back as goals in the AFL. Add his lack off defensive accountability and he is still too much of a liability. He may make it but still needs to play mostly in the VFL.

Disagree his kicking is elite his decision making is inconsistent thatā€™s why i had question marks over him. On the list i think him and tippa would be the top 2 kicks. I suggest heading along to a training session to see his kicking in drills where he doesnā€™t have to think.

McKenna is not an elite kick. He can make elite kicks but they are mixed in with howlers, which mostly will come back as goals in the AFL. Add his lack off defensive accountability and he is still too much of a liability. He may make it but still needs to play mostly in the VFL.

Disagree his kicking is elite his decision making is inconsistent thatā€™s why i had question marks over him. On the list i think him and tippa would be the top 2 kicks. I suggest heading along to a training session to see his kicking in drills where he doesnā€™t have to think.

Well said. He first picked up an AFL footy 2 years ago. Based on his rate of improvement to date - if he continues along the same lines heā€™ll be a regular by the end of the year. Playing in the 1s will only aid this as the step down to VFL level is significant - especially in the area you highlight being decision making at the elite level.

Personally, Iā€™d love to see what McNeice and or McKenna can bring to the table from half back for the next JLT. I hope both of them start making a case for best 22 in the second half of the year, because 2018 is going to be wide open for them to stamp a claim.

I feel like McKenna can definitely make it, but he just needs to be given a good run of games first.

Can we safely say that the players left out of this Sundayā€™s game apart from Myers are in the best 22.
Heppell, Z.Merrett, Zaharakis, Baguley, Bird, Ambrose, Kelly, Fantasia

Personally, I'd love to see what McNeice and or McKenna can bring to the table from half back for the next JLT. I hope both of them start making a case for best 22 in the second half of the year, because 2018 is going to be wide open for them to stamp a claim.

I suppose the first half of the year they will be favouring the older guys, taking an established best 22 approach while finals are on the table.

I suppose obviously, if finals are off the table the pendulum will swing towards players like McKenna and McNiece, and any young players who are showing something. However, it wonā€™t take many backline injuries to get down to needing to play McKenna and promoting McNiece, so if we are playing well enough and need replacements, McKenna as well as the rookies McKernan, Long and McNiece could be playing firsts football regardless.

It is a little bit of an anomaly, partly brought about by the returning 10, that 3 of our rookies are ahead of maybe half a dozen or so of our senior listed players, which brings them into senior contention (LTIā€™s dependant) given the average number of players in a team who play in the firsts each year.

Can we safely say that the players left out of this Sunday's game apart from Myers are in the best 22. Heppell, Z.Merrett, Zaharakis, Baguley, Bird, Ambrose, Kelly, Fantasia
I think we can safely say that they were the one's most in need of a rest and/or least in need of a run.
Can we safely say that the players left out of this Sunday's game apart from Myers are in the best 22. Heppell, Z.Merrett, Zaharakis, Baguley, Bird, Ambrose, Kelly, Fantasia

Yep. Bird the only question

Normally Iā€™d say yes, but his inside work is required more now after Myers fell over. Whether heā€™s best 22 or not in the eyes of the EFC selection committee I donā€™t know, but his stocks have risen.

Bags Hooker Dea

Hurley Hartley tippa

Parish Watson ā€¦
ā€¦ Daniher Colyer

Green Stewart Raz

Leuey Zerrett Heppell

Kelly ā€¦

thereā€™s 5 spots that are a toss up for mine, but that would be my starting 22.

personally iā€™d prolly have mcgrath on the bench, unless the kid is injured or struggling, no point having ya no.1 draft pic sitting in the twos.

Iā€™d be hoping long takes off this year, cos a fowardline with him green and raz, plus coyler, oh boy.
iā€™d like francis to be on the bench too, as he can rotate both ends and give breaks.

in reality sadly, the 5 spots remaining will be taken up by
stanton
goodard
howlett
hocking
gleeson

Iā€™d hate to be seen as perdantic, because if you know me in real life Iā€™m far from it. However, your use of the word prolly is really bugging me. Could you please stop it so I can finish reading your posts?

Like you I am also not normally pedantic, but I could not resist pointing this one out. :slight_smile:

Commas are important!

Bags Hooker Dea

Hurley Hartley tippa

Parish Watson ā€¦
ā€¦ Daniher Colyer

Green Stewart Raz

Leuey Zerrett Heppell

Kelly ā€¦

thereā€™s 5 spots that are a toss up for mine, but that would be my starting 22.

personally iā€™d prolly have mcgrath on the bench, unless the kid is injured or struggling, no point having ya no.1 draft pic sitting in the twos.

Iā€™d be hoping long takes off this year, cos a fowardline with him green and raz, plus coyler, oh boy.
iā€™d like francis to be on the bench too, as he can rotate both ends and give breaks.

stanton
goodard
howlett
hocking
gleeson

Iā€™d hate to be seen as perdantic, because if you know me in real life Iā€™m far from it. However, your use of the word prolly is really bugging me. Could you please stop it so I can finish reading your posts?

Like you I am also not normally pedantic, but I could not resist pointing this one out. :slight_smile:

Commas are important!

no, he got delisted at the end of last year.

Bags Hooker Dea

Hurley Hartley tippa

Parish Watson ā€¦
ā€¦ Daniher Colyer

Green Stewart Raz

Leuey Zerrett Heppell

Kelly ā€¦

stanton
goodard
howlett
hocking
gleeson

Commas are important!

no, he got delisted at the end of last year.

reluctant like

Yā€™all are goona lose your ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  when Jerret gets picked round 1 ahead of McGrath.

Normally Iā€™d say yes, but his inside work is required more now after Myers fell over. Whether heā€™s best 22 or not in the eyes of the EFC selection committee I donā€™t know, but his stocks have risen.

I thought it was more he didnt pull his finger out

This is not so hard anymore.

Starting Back:
Hurls, Harts, Brown or Dea (depending on the match ups).
Gleeson, Bags, Stanton

Starting in the centre:
Watson, Zerrett, Zaharakis
Heppell, Colyer, Luey

Starting fwd:
Daniher, Hooker, Walla
Laverde, Green, Fanta

Bench:
Kelly, Goddard, Parish, Langford.

I think it is a real concern that the 2 guys who are the key pillars in our forward setup will enter the season behind the 8 ball. It will cost us games of footy.

I think it is a real concern that the 2 guys who are the key pillars in our forward setup will enter the season behind the 8 ball. It will cost us games of footy.

I donā€™t. Our forward line looks as dangerous as it has done for years without them so far. We have quite a few options up there