Post-draft Best 22

I think it is a real concern that the 2 guys who are the key pillars in our forward setup will enter the season behind the 8 ball. It will cost us games of footy.

I don’t. Our forward line looks as dangerous as it has done for years without them so far. We have quite a few options up there

We have plenty of exciting options, absolutely. Don’t disagree at all. But fact is, Joe and Hooker will be there in the forward half and their output will be fairly compromised for the first month or so of footy at least until they find their fitness, touch and confidence IMO.

This is not so hard anymore.

Starting Back:
Hurls, Harts, Brown or Dea (depending on the match ups).
Gleeson, Bags, Stanton

Starting in the centre:
Watson, Zerrett, Zaharakis
Heppell, Colyer, Luey

Starting fwd:
Daniher, Hooker, Walla
Laverde, Green, Fanta

Bench:
Kelly, Goddard, Parish, Langford.

I think it’s still super hard (oh, matron!).
Not playing McGrath makes baby Jesus cry.
If Fridge kicks four in the next game, could you leave him out?
Brown instead of Ambrose?
Given our clearance issues, no Bird or Hocking?
Presumably you’re okay with Daniher relieving Loony?
Has LAV! really shown more than Stewart?
And we haven’t seen Francis yet.

Something a little different

Kelly Ambrose hurls
Stanton Hartley Gleeson

Zaha jobe Fanta
Luey hepp zerret

Colyer JD tippa
Green hooker lav

Parish McGrath begley Langford

Im not too worried to be honest.

Joes taken a few games each season to work his way into a groove.

Hooker just hits the ground running every time in the last few years (before ban).

Can we safely say that the players left out of this Sunday's game apart from Myers are in the best 22. Heppell, Z.Merrett, Zaharakis, Baguley, Bird, Ambrose, Kelly, Fantasia
I think we can safely say that they were the one's most in need of a rest and/or least in need of a run.
Agreed. I don't think Bags, Bird or Ambrose to be locks.
Personally, I'd love to see what McNeice and or McKenna can bring to the table from half back for the next JLT. I hope both of them start making a case for best 22 in the second half of the year, because 2018 is going to be wide open for them to stamp a claim.
I suppose the first half of the year they will be favouring the older guys, taking an established best 22 approach while finals are on the table.

I suppose obviously, if finals are off the table the pendulum will swing towards players like McKenna and McNiece, and any young players who are showing something. However, it won’t take many backline injuries to get down to needing to play McKenna and promoting McNiece, so if we are playing well enough and need replacements, McKenna as well as the rookies McKernan, Long and McNiece could be playing firsts football regardless.

It is a little bit of an anomaly, partly brought about by the returning 10, that 3 of our rookies are ahead of maybe half a dozen or so of our senior listed players, which brings them into senior contention (LTI’s dependant) given the average number of players in a team who play in the firsts each year.

Um, what? If our full list is fit I don’t think any of our rookies are in our first 30 players picked. Sure, a couple may be ahead of guys drafted in the last two years, but that is pretty standard if any of your rookies are mature. I assume two you refer to are Long and McKernan, but who is the third? McNeice? Given we’ve literally got about 8 players contending for his role that have played JLT, I’m not sure why you would think that about him. It certainly won’t be Draper or Eades!

Kelly Ambrose hurls
Stanton Hartley Gleeson

Zaha jobe Fanta
Luey hepp zerret

Colyer JD tippa
Green hooker lav

No Goddard or Hocking and it’s still a good side.

This is not so hard anymore.

Starting Back:
Hurls, Harts, Brown or Dea (depending on the match ups).
Gleeson, Bags, Stanton

Starting in the centre:
Watson, Zerrett, Zaharakis
Heppell, Colyer, Luey

Starting fwd:
Daniher, Hooker, Walla
Laverde, Green, Fanta

Bench:
Kelly, Goddard, Parish, Langford.

I think it’s still super hard (oh, matron!).
Not playing McGrath makes baby Jesus cry.
If Fridge kicks four in the next game, could you leave him out?
Brown instead of Ambrose?
Given our clearance issues, no Bird or Hocking?
Presumably you’re okay with Daniher relieving Loony?
Has LAV! really shown more than Stewart?
And we haven’t seen Francis yet.

Interesting thoughts mate.

Personally, I don’t think MCG, Francis and Begley is ready yet.
Jobe, Lang and Hepp should be enough with the inside stuff.
Joey to back up Luey in the ruck while Lav and Brown is more mobile/versatile than Stewy and Ambo.

I reckon when the real thing starts, this will be our 22.

Baguley - Hartley - Ambrose
Kelly - Hurley - Gleeson

Leuenberger - Heppell - Zerret
Zaharakis - Watson - Parish

Colyer - Daniher - Laverde
Fantasia - Hooker - Green

Goddard - Hocking - Langford - McGrath

Notable omissions - Stanton - Tippa

• Lineball decision with stants at the moment. Needs to play a real good game to claim a round 1 spot IMO. I feel like Goddard and Stanton play a similar role this year but both of them is surplus

• Tippa could easily be named. His pressure is outstanding but I just wonder if we can fit him in with Fanta and Green too if he’s not getting much of the footy.

■■■■■■ hell, borderline impossible to select a Round 1 side. You name Begley and another 5-6 are stiff. I completely think Hocking will play as they crave another hard inside mid to help out versus the Hawks.

I’d say as of now, I’d go with:

B: Ambrose - Hartley - Dea
HB: Gleeson - Hurley - Kelly
C: Zaharakis - Watson - Parish
HF: Fantasia - Hooker - Tippa
F: Green - Daniher - Laverde
R: Leuenberger - Zerrett - Heppell
Int: Colyer - Goddard - Hocking - Stanton

Which leaves:

• Begley: Boderline, needs another good game to press further.
  • Baguley: Basically it’s him or Ambrose, you’d have to go with the form player right now.
  • McGrath: Unlucky, but who do you leave out? Dea will play that I’m sure of, and he won’t keep Kelly/Ambrose/Stanton out and certainly not Goddard. Maybe Gleeson but Gleeson’s looked better imo thus far.
  • Langford: Doesn’t have big form behind him.
  • Stewart: Only if Hooker doesn’t come up will he be considered.
  • Brown: Fighting Ambrose or Dea for a spot or maybe Stewart if Hooker isn’t fit.
  • Bird: It’s him or Hocking, they need clearance players.

Right now, considering the Hawks forward line up:

B: Ambrose - Hartley - Bags
HB: Gleeson - Hurley - Dea
B: Kelly

C: Zaha - Heppell - Colyer
R: Leuy - Zerrett - Jobe
X: Goddard
B: Bird - Parish - Stanton

HF: Fantasia - JD
FF: Green - Hooker - Walla
B: n/a

Emg: Brown, McKernan, Langford, McKenna, Hocking, Howlett, McGrath

Very very tricky. I’m going to assume one of the forwards will push up to the wing/behind the ball and probably be Goddard and Stanton.
I’m 50/50 on:

• Ambrose over Brown
  • which three out of Bags/Dea/Gleeson/McKenna/McGrath (went with the stronger defensive unit given Hawthorn’s forwards)
  • Langford vs. Bird vs. Hocking; and
  • having to ruck JD vs. bringing in McKernan

Just can’t see room for anyone else up front (e.g. Laverde or Begley).
I have Bird in over the other two because I thought he was part of the most effective combinations in JLT1 and the intra-club.

Kelly Ambrose hurls
Stanton Hartley Gleeson

Zaha jobe Fanta
Luey hepp zerret

Colyer JD tippa
Green hooker lav

No Goddard or Hocking and it’s still a good side.

Or bags, i was going for a slightly different look. I actually quite like the balance if the side to be honest.

JD playing second ruck given his preseason is a concern though. Maybe swing hooker back from time to time and use Hartley instead.

Does anyone see McGrath as a direct replacement for Bags?

Personally, I'd love to see what McNeice and or McKenna can bring to the table from half back for the next JLT. I hope both of them start making a case for best 22 in the second half of the year, because 2018 is going to be wide open for them to stamp a claim.

However, it won’t take many backline injuries to get down to needing to play McKenna and promoting McNiece, so if we are playing well enough and need replacements, McKenna as well as the rookies McKernan, Long and McNiece could be playing firsts football regardless.

It is a little bit of an anomaly, partly brought about by the returning 10, that 3 of our rookies are ahead of maybe half a dozen or so of our senior listed players, which brings them into senior contention (LTI’s dependant) given the average number of players in a team who play in the firsts each year.

Um, what? If our full list is fit I don’t think any of our rookies are in our first 30 players picked. Sure, a couple may be ahead of guys drafted in the last two years, but that is pretty standard if any of your rookies are mature. I assume two you refer to are Long and McKernan, but who is the third? McNeice? Given we’ve literally got about 8 players contending for his role that have played JLT, I’m not sure why you would think that about him. It certainly won’t be Draper or Eades!

I think there could be a case for McKernan, Long and McNiece being ahead of “half a dozen senior listed players”.

McNiece is untried so I acknowledge this is a bit speculative at the moment, but he is mature, nimble, quick enough and has good foot skills, which makes him more ready than the newer players and some not so new, and given his job would be looking after the smallest, quickest, nimblest forwards, I would argue we have question marks over our main options for this role - and these are Bags, McGrath and Walla. Bags is in the box seat for this role, albeit still coming into form, McG is coming along nicely but is still finding his way as a senior player which is to be expected, and Walla has been too suspect in the air to play the last line in defence.

I put the three ahead of Clarke, Redman, Morgan, Jerrett, Mutch, Ridley and even Bellchambers. This isn’t to say Bellchambers won’t come good in games for the first time in years as we proceed into the season, but given it has been a while - he gets a question mark, given with a fit Leuey you just wouldn’t play him unless he could find 2013 form.

McKernan offers more mobility and versatility than TBC, has more ruck experience than Stewart and provides some physical presence. Long offers pace and agility and these qualities may put him ahead of some bigger bodied players given we have more depth in that type. The main reason the three come into contention is they all have qualities we are lacking depth in to varying degrees.

Even if the 3 rookies are not better than Howlett, Hocking, Bird and Myers, they might sneak past some of them because these guys are behind in line to Watson, Heppell, Zerrett, Parish, Kelly and BJ and the rookies could provide better team balance than some of these guys might be able to.

In years gone by we have had more players who have been less match ready on the rookie list IMO - and we wouldn’t normally have so many players who can play inside on the list, who mostly don’t possess a lot of pace.

So with most sides playing around 32 to 37 players a year it is quite likely Smack and Jake, and maybe Ben, will play AFL this year.

Does anyone see McGrath as a direct replacement for Bags?

Yes, I thought you could have both in. But with Gleeson, Stanton, Kelly looking the goods down back, I reckon you could get away with just McGrath. Tippa back complicates it further.

So i think the last 28 pages of teams need to be reviewed in a Post-Begley world

So i think the last 28 pages of teams need to be reviewed in a Post-Begley world
Does this mean the Post-Trump world is over?

Because, to be honest, that joke hasn’t got old on me yet. I still end posts with the one word sentence “Sad” and I’m like a Tourette’s victim when it comes to “Sweden!”

He’s doing fine work.

I hope people got enough evidence yesterday that we need more pace in the middle and that running jobe, hepp, Myers, Hocking, bj, Langford is simply out of the question. Watching them slice through our midfield running the ball by hand was ugly. Watching them scoot away at stoppages without Hall and ablett was terrifying.

Colyer alone isn’t enough. I think two of colyer, Fanta, tippa and green should be on ball at any one time with the other two forward. We also need more pace off half back so I think one of McGrath or McKenna simply have to play

1 Like

The clear issue with tippa forward is that he isn’t winning his own ball and his isn’t getting the handball receives that bring him into the game off half back.

I like what he has to offer as a forward but he needs a licence to push or rotate up the ground so he can get behind the ball and link up to run it out. Ideally you want him getting hand ball receives about 70m from goal and doing his best Mark Mercuri impression hitting forwards on the tit.

I’m leaning towards Raz full time mid with bursts down forward, he’d still kick 2-3 goals. Might even be more dangerous as he can slip down there without the attention he’s going to get if he plays full time forward. Lav, green and Begley look like a pretty dangerous combo.

B: McGrath- Hartley - Ambrose
HB: Gleeson - Hurley - Kelly
C: Zaharakis - Watson - Parish
HF: Fantasia - Daniher - Tippa
F: Green - Hooker - Colyer
R: Leuenberger - Heppell - Merrett
Int: Laverde - Goddard - Langford - Stanton
Emer: Dea - Brown - Bird