round 1

B Andrew Michael Patrick
HB James Michael Martin
C Darcy Jobe David
HF Anthony Joe Kyle
F Aaron Cale Orazio
R Shaun Dyson Zach

INT - Brendon Brent Travis Josh

Fark it - Just play Francis. Will play for the jumper as much as anyone on the list.

1 Like

.In terms of pure footy talent/ability Francis has it over Stewart imo, but Stewart is athletically way ahead. Thats the conundrum.

Imagine these forward lines::

Daniher, Hooker, Francis, Fanta, Tippa, Green/Colyer

Daniher, Hooker, Stewart, Fanta, Tippa, Green/Colyer

The first has serious wow factor, the second less so.

If we can get Daniher, Hooker, Francis, Fanta, Tippa, Green/Colyer on the park,regularly we have a very serious forward line that will cause many sides a lot of headaches when it comes to matching up on us.

Get leui back asap.

1 Like

I like Hooker, JD, Belly, Walla, Fantasia, Green/Colyer.

But I might change that when I see more of Francis.

I recognise the thinking re. bellcho, but ideally, in the long term, we need a ruckman who can playout 90% of the game. Its going to be Tbell or Leui. at this point. They are the only real ruckmen we have and TBell might be better around the ground. Leui is OK around the ground and poor up forward, but where is TBell?
Its going to take 6 months to sort that.question…

stewart is also 23… damn well should be ahead of franga fitness wise.

What does it look like in 3 or 4 years?

Defense:

Jerret? Hurley Hooker(?)
McKenna Hartley Gleeson

Ambrose and Ridley still in the wings, maybe even brown, maybe long/Morgan as options

Midfield:

McGrath hepp colyer
Draper parish zerrett

int: mutch, zaha (?), (2nd ruck?) - in the wings, Clarke

Forwards:

Langford(m) JD Fanta
Begley Francis tippa

Int: lav, green - in the wings, Stewart.

Obviously there will be several first round draft picks to be uncovered yet and numerous others besides. Regardless that team has a nice feel to it. Highlights the need for some more ruck options and that there is still real uncertainty around or small defenders going forward. The mids and forwards look pretty well stocked though with depth to come from the draft

That midfield looks short shorty short short. Talented though.

yes but lanford will get plenty of time through there. Lav too if he get his body gight. I agree though, we should be looking for a another big bodied mid in the draft

You can see why we were being linked to Clayton Oliver in 2015 and why Dodoro mentions Cripps and Lobb when talking about draft sanctions. He is well aware what our needs are moving forward.

1 Like

Scotty actually cited the Bulldogs team defence as his rationale for leaving out a specific lock down player for the small forwards.

However this to me would emphasise the need for a Johannisen type player which for us means developing McKenna further. With his combination of speed and disposal and willingness to attack he is the obvious man for the role in the medium term.

But just to chuck in a left field suggestion, the player on our list which reminds me the most of Johannisen is Colyer, if we are looking for a scintillating attacking player off half back. Previously I would have always said he would be wasted as anything other than a mid forward, but if we have Raz, Walla and Green fit like we do now, then maybe it could make sense.

1 Like

Reckon you’re forgetting McGrath -
He can be that guy in the short term, even if he does eventually move to the midfield.
Lots of his pre-draft hype was based on comparisons to JJ.
We might even see a little bit more run and carry from him in R1 on the G!

And why there was the heavy focus on the midfield in last year’s draft.

[quote=“chris_64, post:986, topic:3769, full:true”]

[quote=“Ants, post:985, topic:3769, full:true”]
I like Hooker, JD, Belly, Walla, Fantasia, Green/Colyer.

But I might change that when I see more of Francis.
[/quote]I recognise the thinking re. bellcho, but ideally, in the long term, we need a ruckman who can playout 90% of the game. Its going to be Tbell or Leui. at this point. They are the only real ruckmen we have and TBell might be better around the ground. Leui is OK around the ground and poor up forward, but where is TBell?
Its going to take 6 months to sort that.question…
[/quote]I actually disagree. Belly in 2013 was the pre-eminent #2 ruck, off the back of his very strong work in the forward line and the number of goals he scored. I believe that if fully fit he can play the Jenkins role for us. We can then play two rucks.

And I thought last year we looked our most dangerous forward (other than the last round) when we played JD, Brown and Jamar.

1 Like

Thing about McGrath that I find most impressive and that most fail to mention is. That he locks down tight on his man then does the attacking. This is a big part of why I wanted him above all at number 1. Very few players can do this, they are tilted either one way or the other.

He can keep there best fwd quiet AND be a damaging attacking player. JJ is not the best defensively.

2 Likes

I honestly don’t think he can. You cant have Dana Hooker and T-bell in the same fwd line. Even if you add 3 zippy small fwds I think its 2 slow, T-Bell is next to useless once the ball hits the ground, Jenkins is not. One of Stewart or Smack has to come on. T-bell is just to big and immobile for today’s game to play the Jenkins role. The game has changed a hell of a lot since 2013.

Perhaps if Hooker played back again something may work. Dana, T-Bell, Francis/Begley. with 2 to 3 smalls could work if T-Bell is clunking em up fwd.

Well, we may see if it works this year. I personally rate Hooker and JD’s mobility as high enough that we can consider another good marking forward who can actually have a presence in the ruck. I think three tall targets such as that would give a lot of clubs real headaches.

3 Likes

I just edited my post as you where posting. re above.

I hope you are right.

Who the hell is “Dana”???

Daniher? I mean, really? Sounds like a Russian ballet dancer from a movie who has been trained as a spy or something.

2 Likes

He’ll always be Big Joe to me.