Post-draft Best 22

It took me an embarressingly long time to work it out, also.

lol sorry guys.

1 Like

Baguley hartley ambrose
Gleeson Hurley Goddard
Colyer Watson parish
Tippa Daniher Langford
Fantasia hooker Bellchambers

Smack Heppell merrett

Stanton McGrath zaharakis green

Thatā€™s what I hope we see round 1. Stewart/belly take ya pick, they will probably go with Stewart but who knows. Thatā€™s the best side I think we can go with round 1. I canā€™t find room for Kelly. Only way I can see him playing is if we only go Hurley and hartley down back and ambrose is left out. I think Goddard/Kelly/Stanton will all play similar roles this year and imo you canā€™t play them all for team balance

One things for sure, thatā€™s fucken hard to pick, without even discussing laverde, howlett, hocking, luey, Francis etc

Itā€™s damn good to be talking footy again. Itā€™s been 4 years since weā€™ve gone into round one with nothing hanging over our heads. Bring it on

Good choices but Iā€™d swap one of your Parishes for a Zerrett :grin:

1 Like

Yep my bad haha

https://discourse.bomberblitz.com/t/29-patrick-ambrose/1063/2294?u=scarey

For the backline Fletch believes in Ambrose, Hartley, Gleeson and Stants as well as Hurley and Bags. Kelly is also in reserve on the bench.

I suppose it is wise for him to only give established players ā€œbestā€ status.

For the LOLz, from the AFLā€™s latest game.

God knows what they were thinking when they then went on to script our swear filterā€¦

Score
Dyson HeppellĀ  85
Brendon GoddardĀ  84
Jobe WatsonĀ  84
Cale HookerĀ  82
Michael HurleyĀ  82
Brent StantonĀ  81
David ZaharakisĀ  81
David MyersĀ  80
Heath HockingĀ  79
James KellyĀ  79
Zach MerrettĀ  79
Matthew LeuenbergerĀ  78
Tom BellchambersĀ  78
Travis ColyerĀ  78
Ben HowlettĀ  77
Joe DaniherĀ  77
Josh GreenĀ  77
Mark BaguleyĀ  77
Craig BirdĀ  74
James StewartĀ  73
Martin GleesonĀ  73
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti 72
Darcy ParishĀ  72
Jayden LaverdeĀ  72
Kyle LangfordĀ  72
Matt DeaĀ  72
Orazio FantasiaĀ  72
Kobe MutchĀ  71
Mitch BrownĀ  71
Patrick AmbroseĀ  71
Shaun McKernanĀ  71
Aaron FrancisĀ  70
Alex MorganĀ  70
Jackson MerrettĀ  70
Andrew McGrathĀ  69
Ben McNieceĀ  68
Josh BegleyĀ  68
Mason RedmanĀ  68
Michael HartleyĀ  68
Dylan ClarkeĀ  67
Conor McKennaĀ  66
Jordan RidleyĀ  66
Jake LongĀ  65
Sam DraperĀ  65

Bump. Half way point.

Whoā€™s surprised? Bags, thought he was totally cooked. Donā€™t know how much he has left in the tank but he is earning his spot.

Whoā€™s disappointed? Stanton, really thought heā€™d return in good shape but he hasnā€™t adapted to the new role will at all. Id live to see him return to a wing in the second half of the year. Didnā€™t look likely to happen though

Whoā€™s really pleased with their progress? McKenna Iā€™d really hoped he push in to the 22 this year and picked him in a few of my best 22 iterations. Heā€™s met my expectations and his progress has been rapid so far this year. Excited to see how it continues

Whoā€™s exceeded expectations? McGrath, heā€™s certainly exceeded mine. Wow, really, i got this one wrong. Canā€™t move him to a wing soon enough in my mind.

Big questions still to be resolved? Ruck. I was satisfied with luey to be honest, even if he wasnā€™t going to be a comp leading ruck but tbell has definitely now put his hand up. The 3rd tall forward also remains to be solved. Do we even want one? Do we give Stewart time? Do we just plug away with Francis. I think Francis should be playing back fwiw

Hooker? Well the fwd line is certainly working better but is it because of him? He is playing his role well and JD is finding more space but we are also defensively fragile. I guess the question is, will the forward line continue to work if he goes back. I think it is at least worth finding out the answer.

How much has your perception of the best 22 changed?

Still some questions to be answered, as marked below. Stanton is the one who had dropped out of mine, Stewart the one who has bobbed up but he is far from a lock at this point.

Bags Ambrose hurley
Kelly Hartley mckenna

Hepp Watson McGrath
Luey ? bj zerret

Tippa JD fanta
Stewart ? hooker green

Parish zaha colyer ? Langford

Like your effort.

I guess I find it a bit disappointing that we are still relying on Watson and BJ in the centre so muchā€¦but I donā€™t feel that Zerrett/Heppell/Parish have shown enough to take over, let alone Langfordā€¦anyway we all know this is the problem.

I rate Laverde as a HF, and still think he could push Stewart out, unless Stewart improves his contested marking as the taller option.

We could commit to Gleeson/perhaps Mcniece, in place of Kelly/Bags, and the backs/forwards would be settled to develop together for several years.

Iā€™ll use your format @ivan

Whoā€™s surprised? Goddard has really surprised me, been excellent when I thought he was on his way out. Ambrose has been wonderful, as opposed to just serviceable.

Whoā€™s disappointed? Colyerā€¦ heavens lad, what did you do to your kicking. Takes him from being a critical part of the team to being almost a liability. Fix it man. Hartleyā€¦ just isnā€™t playing the way I thought he could play.

Whoā€™s really pleased with their progress? Daniherā€¦ Iā€™m really really happy for the kid. From giraffe to one of the best forwards in the game. Doing well as 2nd ruck. Inline for an all-australian, and still getting better.

Whoā€™s exceeded expectations? Sammy - shut the curtains - Draper :slight_smile:

Big questions still to be resolved? Clearance midfielders. I have a perception we are playing the older / slower / bigger blokes in the centre. Iā€™m convinced our best clearance players are our younger / quicker / smaller blokes. Whether this perception is correct or not I donā€™t know. However I see it as our critical failing at present. We must fix the midfield.

Hooker? Forward. Critical. Must stay there. Ask Joe Daniher how to fix your kicking for goal because youā€™re as rubbish as he was last year :laughing:

How much has your perception of the best 22 changed? Iā€™m still pretty close. I maintain that Langford is best 22 as a forward but is being taught a different roleā€¦ so be it. Gleeson is the other that I had best 22 but hasnā€™t been getting regular games. For me his strengths and weaknesses are obvious and he really is just waiting for someone better to go past himā€¦ hello Conor. Laverdeā€™s injury is a shame and so he hasnā€™t really been able to prove one way or the other where he fits.

2 Likes

Year bj is a good call, surprised a few I think. Me included

Mitch Brown is a bit of a forgotten man atm. I thought he played better than Hartley before he was injured, although slightly different role.

Also not sure Stewart is a better forward than Brown. Brown had 37 scoring shots from 21 games last year vs Stewartā€™s 7 in 5. Last years side was magnitudes worse. People may argue age and experience but brown is 26 and 40 games vs Stewart 23 and 22.

4 Likes

Yep. He played really well fwd, especially so when we had Jamar in square and JD out at CHF.

Would definitely be a consideration for 3rd tall fwd once he fit again. He has all of Stewart, Francis & Langford covered in that role.

Also able to swing him back as required and keep Hooker/JD forward structure.

1 Like

The other question I have is whether we are going to give bird a crack at a tagging role. Kelly baked us on the weekend. Iā€™d like to see woosh at least try it. Seems unlikely too though.

My only comment is about Ivan.
Heā€™s clearly a best 22 poster on this site, but he really needs to work on his auto-correct issues.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah Iven goes alright

2 Likes

Itā€™s true. Itā€™s because I post so much on my phone these days and donā€™t have time to proof read.

The other issue is I refuse to use the swipe keyboards that learn because I donā€™t want to upload all my key strokes to some company.

So, your stuck with my rubbish typing. Btw, if you like my posts I usually proof read and edit them.

Still, sometimes the hilarity is worth the embarrassment, particularly where fish are concerned.

End of 2017 best 22

Bags Hurley Ambrose
McKenna Hooker Gleeson

Heppell Watson McGrath
TBC Goddard Zerrett

Walla Joe Lav
Raz Francis Green

Parish Zaha Colyer Langford

Emerg: Myers Kelly Stewart

I was of the opinion with a big group of slow inside mids we would need to win a lot of clearenceā€™s and contested ball to be a competitive team this year. I didnā€™t anticipate the improvement in our transition/attack from half back. Agree on Goddard, didnā€™t think he would be going this well and Iā€™m particulary pleased with the McKenna/McGrath combination in the backline which was a worry preseason.

2 Likes

So many headaches

Ambrose, lav, bird chief among them, Stanton and Langford mounting cases. What a fabulous position to be in.

McGrath Ambrose hurley
Kelly Hartley gleeson

Bj Watson zaha
Tbell zerret bird

Tippa JD Hepp
Stewart hooker fanta

Myers mckenna ? ?

Emerg: lav Parish Bags colyer Stanton green Langford

Who gets the last two spots, does Hartley come out, am I crazy for even considering leaving out bags colyer and parish?

My thinking with bags is that we have multiple guys who can play the role (perhaps without his level of belligerence) but Hartley can play taller than either hurls or Rambo so offers a point of difference. Gleeson is probably a better interceptor and rebounder than bags, McGrath and McKenna better rebounders, Kelly a better general and all round player. All that said Bags has had a fantastic year. Itā€™s such a tricky call.

Colyer has been a lock all year and offers exactly what our midfield needs but his fumbling is driving me totally bonkers.

Is trying to squeeze bird in a bridge to far? Has Myers locked away a spot? Do we need to have uncomfortable conversations about jobe or hepp or anyone else? The Green v lav v Stewart debate.

Is there a role for Stanton.

Aaaarrrgggghhhhhh. Some really tough and massive calls to make. Some player are going to be desperately unlucky in the run home but getting the right balance could be the difference between finals or not.

1 Like