Post-draft Best 22

I really like it, too.
I have two queries.
The first is whether Gleeson is tall enough to play third tall.
The second is whether Colyer makes it.
Which are very minor quibbles.

1 Like

Hurley? He can barely defend these days i think his role is much more easily covered. I’d have zach merrett as our number one, he is the only a grader in our midfield and we looked hopeless without him last year.

Hurley defended very well through the middle part of the year. He was bossing it and was looking every bit the best defender in the AFL.

We struggled late to get the ball out of defence so Hurley’s role changed because other wise the game would have been played purely in our defensive half.

The responsibility for defending should go to Hartley and Ambrose because they offer little going the other way but I thought they were poor. Ambrose had excuses though due to coming back from a bad injury.

I think people need to recognise that Hurley is playing a different role from what you expect and move on.

Take him out of the side and who do think will average 9 intercepts and 450 mtrs gained per week? He’s a rebounding defender. And probably the best in the league at it.

1 Like

It makes my eyes bleed people who name hooker in defence

11 Likes

we would have gone past the first week of the finals with those two no doubt.

Baguley Ambrose Gleeson
Saad Hurley Goddard
Mcgrath Smith Zaharakis
Fantasia Hooker Stringer
Tippa JOE Stewart

Belly Zerrett Heppell

Langford, Mckenna, Parish, Green

colyer/begley/Myers

Last bench spot could be raffled on form/injuries

7 Likes

Can’t fault that team at all. Backline looks really solid

Seeing Hooker at CHF makes my eyes bleed.

7 Likes

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to see Conor a lock in everyone’s best 22 this preseason

8 Likes

Nuh he was struggling big time early culminating in walker kicking 4 or 5 on him in a quarter against Adelaide. After that they started to play him on third talls to get him back into form. Which it did and he played that rebound role really well throughout the middle part of the year. Once he appeared back in form they started to play him back on the oppositions top talls and he got spanked again. Brown and sinclair come to mind but there were plenty of others as well. I don’t know why people use to criticise the likes of maxwell in the past for being the floating defender that couldn’t defend one on one, but Hurley is seen as a gun for doing the same thing.
I think he will return to his best next season but i thought at times this year he was a liability when getting touched up in defence. Also his stats were very inflated by the fact every kick in he chips to himself then bombs it 55m to the right boundary line. That’s 2 possessions and 55m gained x10 every game. Therefore 20 kicks for doing nothing each game, I’m pretty sure i heard the stats man counts that chip to themselves and kick in as 2 kicks.

No doubt Marty’s size makes him vulnerable as a defender at times but his versatility and creativity are more beneficial to the team overall than what some others can provide, he may of finally won me over with that Sydney final.

Last spot up for grabs was between Colyer and Lav, bench just looks too slow without Trav, lets hope he can rack up a few more metres gained in 18.
Love how much quality legspeed we have at our disposal these days.

Move on wim. It’s not happening. Let it go, bro

Perhaps a little unfair. In the final hurls ambrose and harts were all pantsed, in some cases by fairly ordinary talls. Towards the end of the season, Irish started taking most kickins.

Shock horror, someone names an AA backman in the backline in their best 22.

Dry your eyes mate.

2 Likes

Unless the rules been changed you don’t get credited with a possession for the first kick of a kick out.

So the long 50 metre bombs don’t get credited to his meters unless he chips it to himself. Then he would only get one possession not two.

1 Like

Maybe not Best 22, but I’ve got time for Brown and his flexibility. He’s no freakin’ Qwilt.

Stewart’s success has made his opportunities substantially more marginal, though.

1 Like

He always chips it to himself i thought more than any other kick out player in the comp was mentioned last season. So that being the case he is getting 1 possession for the kick- out to the boundary wouldn’t that then count to the metres gained too? Not playing on semantics just confused as to the description.

I couldn’t tell you if he kicks it to himself more than other players that take kick outs, I don’t watch other teams regularly.

It could be confirmation bias.

Merry Blitzmas everyone.

Q: where did Carro thaw her turkey this year?

A: she thaw it in the thupermarket.

2 Likes

That was 100% tongue in cheek to wim mate

But yeah, it’s not happening. Merry Xmas cobber

1 Like