Post-draft Best 22

Stewart’s marking is definitely improving. Not saying he’s yet nor probably will ever be as good in that regard as Hooker, but if he can just do enough as the second KF to keep a defender honest, the same qualities that make Hooker such a great forward have desperately been missed in the backline since his departure from there.

As Killer Mike said, it’s about getting the right balance, and it’s a tough decision for the coaches to make; wherever they put Hooker, forward or back, that line will be much better than if he wasn’t there.

Much of the decision probably rests on the midfield. If they’re conceding 50s entries more than they’re producing them, then the Hooker boost would probably be best given to the backline, and vice versa.

2 Likes

One thing you can take to the bank, whether the coaches play Hooker forward or back, he is not going to sulk about it, ( you know who I am talking about) he will give it his best. He is an outstanding individual player, but he plays 100% for the team…

6 Likes

Stewart will potentially be a real handful. Moves very well, big and strong. He is like a HFF but much taller. Going to be a very hard match up for many teams.

Our forward line is going to be a real challenge for many teams.

…and then add in the smalls.

1 Like

There are going to be some very disappointed players when the round 1 team is named. I’d be very surprised if everyone doesn’t have at least 25 legit players they are trying to squeeze into a 22 man team.

A slight annoyance I have with these forward line discussions is how much understating there is of the defensive pressure Stewart produces.

I noticed in a number of games last year how his mobility allows him to get to contests, protect zones and harass smaller defenders inside our forward 50.

As long as he continues to improve his contested marking, I think he should be a lock in the 22 because he’s such a difficult match-up, and compliments the rest of our forward line perfectly.

9 Likes

Yep, Stewart is a lock for mine also.

His leading patterns compliment our fowardline perfectly and is only going to improve.

In a couple more seasons he is going to be very hard to stop.

2 Likes

Stewart also leads right up to the HB line, often providing a let-out option and has very nice delivery into the forwardline.

2 Likes

I don’t think he is, or at least he hasn’t shown it (that I’ve seen)

That said, we had a lot of essentially the same guy in the 2s last year - Bird Hocking Howlett NO’B & Clarke, and Myers at times too. Plus Langford, who’s different, but still needed time on ball.
I think keeping all of them was somewhat detrimental to finding out more about the likes of Clarke & Mutch & Langford.

1 Like

I think with the additions this year Stewart will need to improve to hold his place.
I think he’s got plenty of improvement in him so I suspect he will.

I reckon he’s been played outside a fair bit as a new recruit. I think he’s destined to be an inside player and won’t be quick enough to be an outside AFL player.

1 Like

At the end of the day Stewart needs to be good enough and dangerous enough in the air so that his man can’t afford to zone off and help stop JD. Until this time Hooker stays fwd.

1 Like

Stewart isn’t comparable in any way to the other recruits so the only thing I can see stopping him playing is if they think the forwardline is to tall.

Stewart works well because he leads high up the ground and takes an opponent with him leaving space behind him for others to run into.

He’s also capable of outsprinting most defenders if he has space to double back into.

He’s the perfect compliment to Joe.

5 Likes

Agree. However I’m not really trying to compare. Just saying that there are x players and y spots. 2 of the 3 recruits will play a decent amount forward.
As mentioned though I think Stewart can hold his spot providing he improves.

I think Smith will play mostly mid injury permitting.

Stringer will play his fair share of mid also but I see him more like a small forward than a tall. He does his best work when the ball is on the ground.

We certainly have a lot of depth now though so will be interesting how they line up.

1 Like

I wanna see Hartley get a trial as monster forward; not worried about his man, rather just clunking it and then taking the set shot from anywhere within sixty metres of goal.

Oh, and that would also mean a back tall set of Hooker, Ambrose and Hurley. Pity the fool who plays against that!

2 Likes

I was kind of hoping when they dropped him back to the VFL they would play him as a forward.

At the very least he would get into the habit of meeting the ball rather than watching his man.

1 Like

I largely agree with this, although if Stringer can’t up to the fitness level to play mid then he’ll probably need to play 3rd tall. Different types of players, but 3rd tall nonetheless.

The other alternative is probably Laverde. Again, different type of player, but if Laverde is training with the forwards I think we’re too tall if he replaces a guy like green.

Perfect world for me is still Stringer getting fit enough to play about 50 or 60% midfield. Then leave Hooker, Stewart and Daniher as the main talls.

1 Like

For mine Laverde is back up if injuries occur. Stewart moves better than him and for me movement is critical to our set up. Having said that, structures may change.

We have a lot of forwards so some are going to miss out.

1 Like

Hooker Ambrose Hurley is just a smorgasbord for Buddy. Should do well against against most other sides though…

For Woosha, an embarrassment of riches. So does he tailor his 2018 game plan to suit the best players or start with a game plan and fit players into it according to abilities to execute it.?

This will determine the best 22 we see run out on March 23 2018

3 Likes