Post-draft Best 22

I have changed my thinking on this, with our wealth of forward, mid/forward and forward/mid players and a number of players down back who can swap roles, I think we go for a flexible side which can change shape.

This means as hinted, Hooker can go back at times when Joe, JS and are Stringer forward. Gleeson could shift between the third tall defender and half back to accomodate this. McKenna or Saad could move into the midfield or go forward. Hurley can go most places. McGrath can go back or stay mid. BJ can fill in on any line or roam as an extra back.

This doesnā€™t have to be chaotic, you could have 2 major roles where players could keep structures in place in different roles.

All these players could play multiple roles well I suspect:

Hooker, Gleeson, McKenna, Hurley, Saad, McGrath, Heppell, Zaharakis, Stewart, Daniher, Walla, Raz, Stringer, Smith, Zerrett, Langford, Begley, BJ.

Which is 18 players out of what I consider the best 22* which gives us Sheedy like flexibility and no need for major personnel changes with different opposition, because we can change shape to defend different teams and come up with a menacing attack, which could change during the match according to what is working or to cover injuries, change it up etc.

We donā€™t have to go crazy like Sheeds, given the game is a lot more complex in terms of roles these days, but being able to fill 2 distinct roles with the vast majority of your players has to be a good thing, even if it will take a while to fully master.

We have a mostly young side and most of the older guys that are left are good in multiple roles.

The less flexible 4 in my best 22 were Baguley as back pocket, Ambrose as key defender although third tall defender may work if he is offset by Hooker as another key defender besides Hurley who can create and intercept, TBC as ruck and Parish as an inside mid being his calling I believe. You can argue that they all could change their role effectively, but in my mind they are clearly a lot better in their major role even though they get time in other positions.

2 Likes

Hi All, first post I just joined.
Been great seeing some training updates and is a much needed bomber fix over the summer.
Thought Iā€™d start with a best 22:

Saad Hartley Ambrose
Gleeson Hurley McKenna
Goddard Heppell Zaharakis
Stringer Daniher Fantasia
Walla Hooker Stewart
TomBell Zerrett Smith
Parish McGrath Baguely Langford

Besides Baguely(consistent defender) and Langford (big young body) I feel pretty comfortable with the other 20. The likes of Myers, Colyer, Laverde, Begley or Green could easily pinch a spot. Iā€™d love to see Francis at a standard that could hold a spot in defence or as a utility but not at all confident.
Overall our list looks great but I think the midfield is a bit light and a defender that can play on a classy resting mid. Hopefully by years end our midfielders are overflowing and can go into defence in a run with role but for now probably a Gleeson, Ambrose, McGrath or Baguely will suffice.

14 Likes

I think thatā€™s the best, best 22. Looks good.

If the forward line is too tall then this would be the scenario where Chooker goes back. Take Hartley out and leave Stewart in. Stewartā€™s mobility and speed compliment the fast team and play we are developing.

1 Like

I have wondered if Laverde could be trained into another position? Midfield aside Iā€™ve Often thought of him filling a back spot. Could he slot into Gleesons or Bags spot? (Not saying he needs to replace Gleeson)

We are unbeatable.

2 Likes

Merit aside, I seem to remember that he played back at some stage in his youth.

That statement will grow legs if we are still smiling at 10.30 on 23/3/2018

1 Like

Laverde is an interesting player.

It seems even at TAC level he played some forward and some midfield-never really locking down a position.

His athletic gifts make him very appealing but he hasnā€™t had the production yet.

Injuries have played a part in that also but he canā€™t afford to have to many more hiccups in my opinion because we have some serious young talent coming through.

Itā€™s a midget opening bounce set up though.
Would get monstered by some.
Not sure Zerrett, Smith & Hep would start in there as a combination.

ā€œHaving really top-line big midfielders, or at least one of them, is handy, but itā€™s not a pre-requisite to be successful. You donā€™t have to have one,ā€ he said. ā€œI think weā€™ve got a good blend.ā€

John Worsfold, Nov 29/2017

Not sure what he means, we have been grooming Langford at 193, and Stringer at 192 cm, so for instance we have several ā€œmidfieldersā€ in the height class of Bontempelli, Pendlebury and Nat Fyfe,

Best 22 doesnā€™t mean that theyā€™re locked in those positions for the whole game. Iā€™d surprised if we donā€™t see them set up like that in the middle at some stage though.

Think the key isā€really top line big midfieldersā€.
If weā€™ve got a couple of ā€œnot really top lineā€ big mids in the mix with a bucketload of top line smaller mids thatā€™s probably a decent mix.

1 Like

Itā€™s all about the midfield! The following can play dual/multiple positions ā€¦

Merrett (Age 22, Height 180, Games 81)
Parish (20, 180, 40)
Heppell (25, 189, 129)
Stringer (23, 192, 89)
Smith (24, 176, 109)
Zaharakis (28, 180, 170)
Goddard (32, 193, 312)
McGrath (19, 178, 21)
Langford (21, 191, 31)
Laverde (22, 191, 23)
Walla (24, 171, 44)
Fantasia (22, 177, 47)
Myers (28, 191, 100!)
Colyer (26, 175, 79)

Thatā€™s 14 people to do the job + others like Begley, Mutch, Long, J Merret waiting in the wings.

For 2018 thatā€™s a good profile although 8 players 180 or less in height is an unknown. Big bodies in Hepp, Stringer, Goddard, Langford, Laverde and Myers ā€œshouldā€ be able to do the job at the coal face. Still, there remains questions about Essendonā€™s mids being able to compete with the best.

I agree with what you are thinking but can you really imagine Worsfold swinging the changes and positional moves to make use of the flexibility. He is one of the more stagnant match day coaches ivā€™e seen, i donā€™t think it would even be worth having the amount of flexibility on the park as it won;t get used anyway. Therefore should probably just pick the best side on paper in their preferred positions.

Players were quite deliberately rotating through different positions every few minutes last year. Thereā€™s more subtlety to player positions and match day moves than just swapping your key defenders and forwards from one end to another.

I could easily see Stringer taking his spot. Playing deeper than Stewart, Hooker moves his leads up a little higher, Joe just wanders around doing whatever the hell he wants, as per usual.

Itā€™s possible.

Plenty of variations considering half our list are forwards.

Yep. Which is to say, nobody can quite play Stewartā€™s role, but his role could be covered with a rejig. Heā€™s good, but I donā€™t think heā€™s great.

(Iā€™d have a much easier time with him if he didnā€™t remind me of Ashley Hansen so bloody muchā€¦)

Third tall in a forwardline starved of opportunities and only 23.

I think heā€™s got a big future.

I would play him so he keeps improving but itā€™s dependent on how tall they want to go.