Post Match Thread: Ess v Port

Can't seem to find a thread, Boot said to create one if it's not here. Gurge or merge as appropriate.

I am honestly not worried. When Jobe has it about 12 times at about 15% efficiency you know it's a pre-season game. Joe is still humming along, only improving. Carlisle to come into the side too who will jag a few. Don't forget we should have been about 40 points up at qtr time. I just cannot believe how quickly people write players off in the pre-season based off a couple of games.

Random thoughts:

Not sure what others are seeing in Gleeson so far. I honestly am not writing him off, but he is a long way from "playing round 1" if you ask me. He seemed to have it a jillion times but from memory he only ever broke even when he got it and butchered it a fair few times.

Stanton, Watson, Chappy, Goddard will all be 50 times better in the season proper.

It is disappointing that Jackson hasn't really put his hand up but was good last season so here's hoping he can generate some steam as he goes through this year.

I think Leroy will come on. Bomber's influence seems to be making a difference and those who saw him play as a junior will attest to the fact that going off the last couple of games he is playing like he did when he was 17 years old. I tip him to play more games than most would guess this year.

Still trying to get a gauge on Thurlow. Has a ways to go IMO

Colyer disappointing. We need his type, badly.

Bring on Rd 1, we will fkg roll Port in the season proper.

Not sure if I am alone, but I actually felt pears showed some good signs in terms of movement. People forget how good he looked circa 2009-2010. Let’s hope he gets a recent run at it.

Capture_zps23c37211.png

Not sure if I am alone, but I actually felt pears showed some good signs in terms of movement. People forget how good he looked circa 2009-2010. Let's hope he gets a recent run at it.

I thought he did a few good things also.
Seems to have a bit more of a spring in his step and more confidence in his ability.
I remember a few cheeky spins out of tackles and some nice touches.
Could be a valuable player for us this season if he continues to improve.

Not sure if I am alone, but I actually felt pears showed some good signs in terms of movement. People forget how good he looked circa 2009-2010. Let's hope he gets a recent run at it.

He looked very good, both in the air and especially at ground level in contested situations. 

I have a feeling a few teams will be spewing they didn't throw 'fark all' our way to get him over the summer. 

just on leroy he certainly is having a crack and his repeat pressure efforts are right up there. He also seems to be playing far more directly, taking the first option or having a ping, don't remember a genuine stop and prop in either game. is using his agility and pace to beat guys rather than trying sell dummies which he is horrible at. probably should have finished with two or three last night. i'm not ready to jump on board yet but the signs are encouraging. Difficult to gauge where he might be at in the pecking order though because we haven't seen Kommer or melk yet.

i posted this in the game thread but wouldn't mind some thoughts. i think hooker has found another level, his work below his knees last night was fantastic, his composure and ball use under pressure has greatly improved and his kicking seems to have a bit of extra penetration with less hang time.

Hurely needs more time, has caught a bad case of the pears when under highballs and is feeling for the body rather maintain body contact and keeping and eye on the ball. That's his game he needs to get back to basics. using it well though and i love his low spearing drop punts coming out of defence

gleeson looks like a prototypical essendon recruit, does some things fantastically well (finding the pill, side step, positioning)  but has glaring and fundamental weaknesses in his game (kicking,size). No doubt we'll all spend the next 3 years going "if he can just fix his kicking he'll be awesome, just what we need " etc etc. his technique appears solid enough and my perception is that he snatches at it a bit when under pressure (probably because he doesn't have the body yet to absorb too much punishment). i don't think you will see him butcher it when in the clear like colyer does but equally he seems to get a lot of his ball in contested areas rather than on the run so he needs to fix it. Hopefully once he puts on about 56 kgs, gets his Ps and can buy alcohol legally this issue will work itself out. There is something to work with here i just hope we get his development right.

by contrast zerrett is the full bottle and we should be getting game time into him this year if at all possible. surprisingly strong for his age, very neat disposal, just needs confidence at this level and a tank and he will plug right into the seniors and be the decisive, polished, harassing, goal kicking small fwd/mid we have been crying out for seemingly for ever.

steinberg can't seperate and lacks acceleration. hardy is where it is at as far as medium fwd options go, he is genuinely dangerous up there with his pace leap and courage and is a monty for rd 1 and probably until tbell is fit for mine. we are just going to have accept there will be days where he kicks 1.4 and an out on the full (like crameri did early on).

hibberd's injury and dempsey's absence is a big big concern. we have got kids who can pinch hit but none who are ready to step up and play anywhere near their level. hibberd is a bigger loss than dempsey IMO, fingers crossed it is just minor because we can't replace his combination of aerial ability, pace, determination and skills down back and will be forced to send Goddard back i think. our first 4 weeks will be torrid and if we are missing both of them or one with the other seriously underdone we will be starting well behind the 8ball.

JD, tracking beautifully.

basset has his work cut for him upfront and it was infuriating to see our patented static forward line atwork, again.

My question would be, even if in form, where does he fit?

He looked very good, both in the air and especially at ground level in contested situations. 

I have a feeling a few teams will be spewing they didn't throw 'fark all' our way to get him over the summer. 

#notoriously difficult to trade with

Yeah I forgot about Pears. Was going to be one of my main points.

excellent question, he might be asked to pinch hit in hibberd or dempsey's role early on, we could do worse.

possible rd 1 side minus demps and hibb (fark i hope not)

bags hurls fletch

goddard hooker pears      

stanton watson hepp

ryder hocking zaha      

licha carlisle howlett

chappy daniher hardy      

myers kommer  jetta

zmerrett    

Hibberd will be right round one according to bomber, just a very light hamstring strain luckily.

I think Stienberg was good.

that is the hard part. Hurley Hooker and Fletch are our tall backs and they aren't going to be dropped. If you play pears that is 4 talls in a backline of 6- that's too many.

He is not quick enough to play on smalls either

Have you seen The Light?

Have you seen The Light?

Come in to The Light.

Where everything is better.

Hibberd will be right round one according to bomber, just a very light hamstring strain luckily.

pig doesn't have the greatest history when it comes to his strings (prior to afl as well), they'll be cautious with him regardless of how minor it is as they have brought him back too early before. he has 23 days to recover. if it is minor you would expect him to miss 2 weeks, given his history i think it will more likely be 3 which will mean it goes right down to the wire and i'd imagine they will err on the side of caution. he is too important to risk.

hope i'm wrong and he destroys north

that is the hard part. Hurley Hooker and Fletch are our tall backs and they aren't going to be dropped. If you play pears that is 4 talls in a backline of 6- that's too many.

He is not quick enough to play on smalls either

fletcher still is though :)

We will be too tall with him, Fletch, Hurley and Hooker.

lets face it, someone will go down up forward and Hurley will get switched there. Or Hurley will go down and Pears will come in.

At the end of the season Fletch will retire so Pears will be pretty handy back up.

Try Pears forward - surely he couldn’t be worse than Steinberg or Hardingham.

Try Pears forward - surely he couldn’t be worse than Steinberg or Hardingham.

What has Hardingham done wrong as a forward this preseason, despite limited supply? Despite what many think, he is a good set shot for goal.