Post Match Thread: Ess v Port

Try Pears forward - surely he couldn't be worse than Steinberg or Hardingham.

Trouble is he has real currency as a back up defender. We are not over endowed with key backs, and if one goes down, even though he's a bit short for it, he would definitely be our no 1 option to fill the gap. He'll be a real dilemma if he get's all his mojo back.

I think I might flip my shiz if I see us bomb the football in like that again this season.

What has Hardingham done wrong as a forward this preseason, despite limited supply? Despite what many think, he is a good set shot for goal.

Nothing. If you are willing (I am) to accept a bit of inconsistency, and the odd brain fade (which in our side is par for the course), I reckon he has the tools to be a very good HF.

I personally think hardingham has been quite good in our two games thus far, miles ahead of steinburg

imo, he’s a lock for round one up forward

Not sure if I am alone, but I actually felt pears showed some good signs in terms of movement. People forget how good he looked circa 2009-2010. Let's hope he gets a recent run at it.

My question would be, even if in form, where does he fit?

At the end of the season Fletch will retire so Pears will be pretty handy back up.

Say that again..............

Now, I am the furthest from a Hardingham fan, but this makes no sense.

Pears is not a forward, never has been. Hardingham however has played forward before and is, well, not crap at it. But he is certainly better than Pears. Just because Pears won't fit in defence there is no point playing him up forward. Your best 22 isn't the best 22 on the list, it is the best balanced 22.

Often we have perfectly decent players playing in the 2s while some spuds play in the 1s solely because the guy in the 2s is someone who has 4 people ahead of him where the team structure/balance only allows for 3 players to be picked.

Not sure if I am alone, but I actually felt pears showed some good signs in terms of movement. People forget how good he looked circa 2009-2010. Let's hope he gets a recent run at it.

My question would be, even if in form, where does he fit?

At the end of the season Fletch will retire so Pears will be pretty handy back up.

Say that again..............

PERMABAN.

Zerrett came on after half time. Within the first 50 seconds he had laid 2 tackles, roved the ball from a congested stoppage and got of a dinky handball off to JD(?) who snapped a goal.

All I can say is how great it was to see Chappy play so well.  His knowlege and experience will be invaluable to our younger players.

I personally think hardingham has been quite good in our two games thus far, miles ahead of steinburg
imo, he's a lock for round one up forward

8 disposals, 3 marks and 1 goal v port

8 disposals 6 marks and 2 goals v GC

Not exactly setting the world on fire, esp considering people continually keep saying tis only a meaningless preseason game, which you have to take into consideration when judging others performances/form.

Then all things being equal fitness wise you have Chappy, Winda, Kommer, Merrett ahead of him atm.

If he's a lock rd 1, we are in trouble, either injury or form wise.

Not exactly setting the world on fire, esp considering people continually keep saying tis only a meaningless preseason game, which you have to take into consideration when judging others performances/form.

Then all things being equal fitness wise you have Chappy, Winda, Kommer, Merrett ahead of him atm.

Nope, not ahead, and not even similar players. Kommer - like Merrett, totally different type of player, different role. Ditto Chappy.

If he's in the side rnd 1, all it means is Bomber thinks he's the best option.

possible rd 1 side minus demps and hibb (fark i hope not)

bags hurls fletch

goddard hooker pears      

stanton watson hepp

ryder hocking zaha      

jettalicha carlisle howlett

chappy daniher hardy      

myers kommer(??)  jmerret

zmerrett  

fixed.

farken hope kav has a blinder in the vfl on saturday

Pears is not a forward, never has been. Hardingham however has played forward before and is, well, not crap at it. But he is certainly better than Pears. Just because Pears won't fit in defence there is no point playing him up forward. Your best 22 isn't the best 22 on the list, it is the best balanced 22.

Often we have perfectly decent players playing in the 2s while some spuds play in the 1s solely because the guy in the 2s is someone who has 4 people ahead of him where the team structure/balance only allows for 3 players to be picked.

Just wondering, when has Hardingham played well up forward?  I know he did in his first game and we all thought he was going to be a worldbeater.  But apart from that game, when has he played well up forward?  Bearing in mind that for a forward, playing well means kicking goals.

Just wondering, when has Hardingham played well up forward?  I know he did in his first game and we all thought he was going to be a worldbeater.  But apart from that game, when has he played well up forward?  Bearing in mind that for a forward, playing well means kicking goals.

Didn't say he played well, just said he wasn't crap. He has pinched hit up forward a couple of times (think late in 2010 apart from his first game) plus he is a forward and having played there more than Pears he would have a better understanding of what a forward should do.

He played well a week ago up forward if you can remember back that far.

Zerrett came on after half time. Within the first 50 seconds he had laid 2 tackles, roved the ball from a congested stoppage and got of a dinky handball off to JD(?) who snapped a goal.

Wasn't it Jackson who was sub?

Anyway I say we play Zerrett in Round 1...he looks like he just belongs out there.

Yeah, zerett will play round 1 I would think. He’s just a smart kid, knows what to do

If he keeps that up he will score 35 goals for the year (I round up. Lid off). You have to go back to Lloyd in 2008 to find an Essendon player that has kicked more goals in a year. He'll do just fine.

A bit off-topic, but

Who can stand watching games from Level 1? (Level 3 closed, and I was priced out of Caesar's balcony.) Dog's breakfast for viewing - perspective, distance...just sliding walls of bodies, and yr eyes jumping between the ground and the screen. It's actually worse than watching via Channel 7, and that's just a nauseating series of close-ups. Level 1 is great when the ball's right in front of you, but that's not often enough to sacrifice watching the Game, getting the context of every play.

I almost think anyone who bags out a player having watched from Level 1 can pretty much shut the fark up.

But maybe I'm just not a good enough footy watcher to get with it from there (seriously).

A bit off-topic, but

Who can stand watching games from Level 1? (Level 3 closed, and I was priced out of Caesar's balcony.) Dog's breakfast for viewing - perspective, distance...just sliding walls of bodies, and yr eyes jumping between the ground and the screen. It's actually worse than watching via Channel 7, and that's just a nauseating series of close-ups. Level 1 is great when the ball's right in front of you, but that's not often enough to sacrifice watching the Game, getting the context of every play.

I almost think anyone who bags out a player having watched from Level 1 can pretty much shut the fark up.

But maybe I'm just not a good enough footy watcher to get with it from there (seriously).

I'll agree. Level one is great for the sound and the atmosphere, but it's useless if you want a good view of the game.