Pre season Training Summary 2015

I have to begin with the caveat that by attending one training session per week I only see about 5% of the players training so any views I express should be tempered in the light of this narrow observational base.

Strategy

In the previous two years of Hird’s coaching tenancy the players started the season well then faded. Bomber’s strategy was to start more slowly and finish more strongly which they basically did in 2014.

This year the team is probably fitter than ever, certainly the preseason has involved more running, so I’m guessing that the strategy is that this fitness base will allow us to also finish the season more strongly than 2012 and 2013. I will watch how this develops with great interest.

The game plan under Bomber was much the same as under Hird – the biggest difference being Carlisle forward Hurley back. I have seen little change in the basic game plan this preseason which is a good thing because the players have much more familiarity with it than in 2012 & 2013 so it is less a learning experience and more a fine tuning exercise.

Basically like most clubs we are looking for quick precise ball movement getting into the centre corridor whenever possible while applying defensive pressure all over the ground and attempting to outnumber opponents in any situation. Precise kicking to 45 degree leads, play on handball and delivery to one on one contests in the forward line are the basics here.

The Colorado experiment was much debated on this forum. I can’t detect that we are any less fit by having what Hird described as a “meat and potatoes” pre season and the four players who went to Colorado – Watson, Hurley, Hibberd and Hooker don’t seem to be any fitter than their compatriots. My conclusion to this debate is that Colorado was at best an experiment of neutral value or at worst a waste of time and money.

The List

The biggest change has been the loss of Ryder the number 30 on his back signifying the 30 pieces of silver that he took to go to Port. While his skills will be missed looking back over his career he rarely consistently gave of his best and it is now obvious that he secretly didn’t want to be here. The club has chosen to overcome this by playing Giles and Bellchambers in tandem. The prospects for this working are reasonable strengthened by intensive ruck coaching from Alessio.

Following the success of Chapman and Goddard the club has recruited the experienced Gwilt and Cooney which I read as a plus. The preseason form of both has been impressive and both should win a place in round one.

Consensus is that Langford and LaVerde are good acquisitions and I see Langford challenging for Ambrose’s spot. Ambrose will be better with a second preseason and his defensive skills were noted. Against this he didn’t get the ball a lot and spilled quite a few marks. Langford looks more talented but is less experienced and not as strong physically.

The three break out players from last year are Colyer, Daniher and Zerret. Colyer’s kicking has greatly improved and Daniher was a much better player at the end of the year than the start. Like Colyer his kicking has improved and the tutelage of Lloyd over the preseason has been a positive. I would expect 40 goals from him if he doesn’t get injured. Zerret played a lot of games last year and his preseason form is impressive as he is becoming a midfield cog with his precise disposal and football smarts.

I suspect that Fletcher is happier under Hird as Bomber was hinting that he should retire.

Perhaps the player who had the biggest drop off in form last year was Melksham after a good second half to 2013. I’m not sure why this was perhaps he had off field issues but he has trained like a demon and he is the obvious choice to fill in for the injured Hocking in a tagging role.

Modified Group

The club has repeatedly said they have taken a cautious approach this year and consequently a large number of players have missed significant training especially in the area of match practice. This is bound to affect their ability to play – for example a question mark hangs over the ability of Carlisle and Hocking to be able to make repeat efforts when in the senior side.

I don’t say that our club is any worse off than other clubs in regard to injury and rehab but I would be surprised if Pears, Aylett and Kommer will be in a position to push for senior selection. On the plus side it is good to see Hams, Browne and Dalgleish available once again.

This is my take on the team for round one with two caveats:

Firstly I am assuming that we will be cleared in the ASADA investigation.

Secondly I am taking the view that Heath Hocking who would be in my best 22 is not ready for round one and consequently I replaced him with Melksham who has had a fine preseason.

Baguley Hurley Fletcher
Heppel Hooker Hibberd
Cooney Watson Stanton
Zaharakis Carlisle Chapman
Giles Daniher Zerret
Bellchambers Melksham Colyer

Gwilt, Myers, Goddard, Langford (sub)

Emer. Dempsey, Winderlich, Howlett

In sum I think the preseason with a second year at the new facility has gone very well. The coaching staff appear to be working harmoniously and the players are right behind the coach. There is a pleasing pressure for spots in the side in both the long and short term and winning at least one final is a strong possibility in my opinion if injuries and ASADA don’t intervene.

Fantastic analysis piece Jackie; thanks as always for your insights.

That’s a mighty looking team. Great analysis again Jackie, much appreciated.

Pre season summary from my point of view:

Jackie is a pre season star, a credit to blitz and helped keep us all sane in the break. Gives me a reason to come here.

Also thank you to the other posters that contributed. Expecially those taking photos. Sorry I can’t name you all as Im a bit lazy.

GO DONS

On ya JM.

That’s a strong looking team sans maybe Langford

Awesome work JM

Not sure if Langford will get the call up in rd 1, only because of his size…Howlett’s big body will get the nod for mine.

Winderlich a certain starter over Giles, although Giles should play as he is a goal kicker.

Yep, great analysis but I have to disagree that we finished well last year. Before the final:

We drew with Carlton who were undermanned, had to come back against WCE after being 6-7 goals down at one stage and just got over the line against a Gablett- free GCS.

I just want us to be consistent throughout the whole year (I.e. Hawks/Cats in recent years). 2015 SHOULD be the year for it if no bans occur.

Thanks heaps for your training reports over the preseason Jackie. Look fwd to reading more!

So if Ryder took 30 pieces of silver, who took the pieces of 8?

Quoted Post

Yep, great analysis but I have to disagree that we finished well last year. Before the final:

We drew with Carlton who were undermanned, had to come back against WCE after being 6-7 goals down at one stage and just got over the line against a Gablett- free GCS.

I just want us to be consistent throughout the whole year (I.e. Hawks/Cats in recent years). 2015 SHOULD be the year for it if no bans occur.

I didn’t say we finished “well” last year I said “finished more strongly” meaning more strongly than in the two previous seasons.

Nice read Jackie. On point.

Some interesting selection choices;
Gwilt ahead of Winderlich and Langford ahead of Ambrose the two big ones.

Gwilt has slotted into the back 6 quite well, though, I do wonder whether he offers as much at both ends as Winderlich.

There’s no denying Langford, on face value, should be a better player than Ambrose in the coming years, the question is can he do enough in the next 3 games to show he’s ready to challenge for that spot in round 1.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

I didn’t say we finished “well” last year I said “finished more strongly” meaning more strongly than in the two previous seasons.

When you put it that way, then yes, absolutely I agree with you.

Hi Jackie,

Very insightful and eloquent piece.

If bomberblitz ever has a Hall of Fame you should be inducted as a Legend.

Thanks for the analysis JM, and all of your preseason reports. They are a highlight of this site for me, and are very much appreciated.

Winderlich, Dempsey, Ambrose and Howlett are all close to selection so I don’t have strong arguments of one over the others in the team. Gwilt is more long term than Winderlich but Winderlich is valued for his pace and elusiveness in the forward line.

I don’t think Ambrose’s stats were overwhelming last year and Langford looks ahead of him in skill and pace but its a close call. Langford is possibly a bit more versatile and looks like he can play both back and forward.

Hey Jackie, that half back line is totally awesome .
Thanks for the report…

March Training Dates

essendonfc.com.au

2 March 2015 2:00 PM

Essendon Football Club welcomes fans to its skills training session throughout the 2015 pre-season.

The following dates will be open to fans during March:

2:30pm – Friday 6th March (Captain’s Run)

11:15am – Thursday 12th March (Captain’s Run)

9:30am – Wednesday 18th March

10:00am – Thursday 19th March (Captain’s Run)

9:30am - Friday 27th March

Please note there will be limited autograph opportunities following these sessions.

We apologies in advance for any late changes to the training schedule and will endeavor to inform fans of any changes as soon as possible.

Click here to sign up for our E-Cal to get training dates straight into your phone.

All of the above sessions will be held at the True Value Solar Centre.

ttp://m.essendonfc.com.au/news/2015-03-02/march-training-dates

All Jackie’s threads are like anti-asada threads. Nothing but footy. Love it JM.

On the side, I’m not sure Giles needs to play unless TBell is underdone. It may start that way, but with JD and Carlisle already forward, it’s needlessly too tall in my book. But I agree it will probably start that way.

I’d love to see a smokey come in round 1. (Browne, Ashby, Gleeson, Laverde, Kav etc. ) it’s one of the things I thought Bomba did well last year. Keep looking for surprise packets, thats how you keep progressing.

Quoted Post

I’d love to see a smokey come in round 1. (Browne, Ashby, Gleeson, Laverde, Kav etc. ) it’s one of the things I thought Bomba did well last year. Keep looking for surprise packets, thats how you keep progressing.

Selection for round 1 last year was a massive WTF for mine, three seemingly underdone debutants I thought were nowhere near it, but they were awesome. Would love to see something similar this year.

With Carlisle (probably) underdone I think you need that second ruckman. You certainly wouldn’t want to not play Giles and not play Ambrose — someone has to offer the ground-level grunt the beanpoles and Langford don’t. Especially against Sydney and Hawthorn.

But awesome stuff, Jackie.