Prison

I totally agree. It is the system in Australia that is floored.

I had lots of ideas I put forth. None of which most in Upper Management could understand called it radical thinking. They couldn’t understand how the program that was getting results when no one else could. Instead of saying why don’t you try this or that and we’ll see what happens. They said, “It doesn’t make sense to us. It shouldn’t be working.” We don’t want to continue doing this.

For me there was no point in banging my head against a brick wall and even though, I was offered big bucks to stay. To continue doing what was suggested to me and no more. There were obvious things Management did not want to reflect in the stats. I wasn’t prepared to work that and walked away.

I call it “the black economy” the whole system runs on it.

1 Like

Firstly we need good and affordable rehabilitation centres for addictions.

Secondly, we need a fully equipped and funded Mental Health System which was completely dismantled. Then there would be a ton of room in prison instead of playing musical police station lockups with many people including the mentally ill.

Thirdly, paedophiles need to be locked away from the general prison population because rock spiders as they are known, are on the bottom rung of the culture ladder. And; contrary to a common belief, I haven’t met any yet who have been genuinely remorseful for their behaviour towards children and who don’t feel they have every right to have sex who whoever they want. Community Corrections had some wonderful staff but they were unfunded and under resourced and could not keep tabs on people sometimes, even with electronic bracelets mistakes occur and more kids are damaged. Who takes responsibility? No one.

Fourthly, people need to be re-skilled or learn old skills which are new skills to them. They have never learned them at all because of severe family dysfunction, addictions and other problems. This should happen but does not happen in prisons. Anyone who does rehabilitate themselves in my book its a miracle. The system isn’t set up for success. It is set up for recidivism.

Privatizing prisons hasn’t worked and any mistakes made and there have been plenty, who takes responsibility for them? No one. A hefty fine is paid and its swept under the carpet, change doesn’t happen.

3 Likes

Check out the work being done by the Victorian Law Institute and the Goulborn Valley Community Legal Centre on therapeutic justice. The Australian and other MSM often misrepresent it as an alternative to custodial sentences. It is not .

Thanks big Allen I will.

I was making a reference to crimes committed by the bosses and CEOs of the world. Lock up a few of those Wall Street type of criminals and the rest will fall into line pretty quick. They have definitely caused more harm and even death than any Australian-Sudanese Gang will ever cause.

2 Likes