Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 1)

Ironically, having in the past been a big defender I'm far more in the "sack Dodorro" camp than I used to be. Problem is I don't know to what degree he sets the list management goals, versus the head coach/CEO/Board, and he's just responsible for implementing them. But our list management strategy has got it very wrong (partly with hindsight of course).

Depends whether you treat list management as only about playing.

Because these last 3 years have been about a lot more than football. It’s been about managing people. Sometimes the management of the people in the list during these last 3 years was not in the best interest of “football” but was in the best interests of the club and the list.

(If that makes any sense)

Gach
Eades
Tippa
McKenna
McKernan
Edwards

Dodoro and co have been as creative and as courageous as you can hope for in light of our sanctions.

There is so much X factor and upside to that list.
It is EXACTLY what we have been missing, and the recruiting team have done this with both hands tied behind their back for two years.

We may end up calling him ‘Dodoro the magician!’

Ironically, having in the past been a big defender I'm far more in the "sack Dodorro" camp than I used to be. Problem is I don't know to what degree he sets the list management goals, versus the head coach/CEO/Board, and he's just responsible for implementing them. But our list management strategy has got it very wrong (partly with hindsight of course).

im interested to hear how our list management has been bad, i think its been quite good, especially the past two drafts

I think there’s a very, very compelling argument that Giles and Cooney were mis-steps (even if Jobe and the other players wanted to go for broke) and we should have, at the least, gone harder in the rookies/late picks to partly compensate for having fewer picks early in the national draft.

I think there's a very, very compelling argument that Giles and Cooney were mis-steps (even if Jobe and the other players wanted to go for broke) and we should have, at the least, gone harder in the rookies/late picks to partly compensate for having fewer picks early in the national draft.

If that is the worst he has done then he gets a pass. Nobody could have expected Giles to be that bad and Cooney was a flyer on a guy who is capable of the best in the league.

You don’t give pick 37 (or whatever it was) away for fliers.
That’s the whole point.

I’m not saying Dodoro’s done a bad job but pretending a ■■■■ up isn’t a ■■■■ up is unhelpful.

Recognise mistakes and learn from them, or you’ll repeat them.

You don't give pick 37 (or whatever it was) away for fliers. That's the whole point.

I’m not saying Dodoro’s done a bad job but pretending a ■■■■ up isn’t a ■■■■ up is unhelpful.

Cooney is still on the list. He is playing for his future this year, and if the rest of the team are up for the fight this year which they clearly werent last year, then this may still work out.

We got Gile for nothing and turned him into Mitch Brown …not bad!!

We got Gile for nothing and turned him into Mitch Brown ....not bad!!

Don’t be silly, it was a MISTAKE and a terrible one, that’s what they are saying. Get with the program of Blitz.

Don’t be silly, it was a MISTAKE and a terrible one, that’s what they are saying. Get with the program of Blitz.

Get ■■■■■■ you sarky ■■■■■■■, I said it’s not helpful to pretend mistakes were something other than mistakes - not that they were huge mistakes or catastrophic.

You don't give pick 37 (or whatever it was) away for fliers. That's the whole point.

I think we did this year. I also think it was a Hird esque move rather than Dodoro wanting another aging star.

I think we did this year. I also think it was a Hird esque move rather than Dodoro wanting another aging star.

The players supposedly wanted us to go ‘all in’ on the Watson/Stanton age group too. But that’s not the point.
My point is that nobody said ‘no’, or at least made other decisions to mitigate against the ramifications if it went wrong (getting more kids in, even with late/rookie picks so we had at least some new players in).

Seems like Hird has become our Tibor.

The only list management decisions that had Hird’s influence was convincing Winderlich to stay on another year, convincing Howlett to stay and getting Cooney across.
Whether or not this was in conjunction with the list manager is unknown.

The Giles trade was a reaction to Paddy leaving and the lack of ruck options that wanted to come to the club.

The only list management decisions that had Hird's influence was convincing Winderlich to stay on another year, convincing Howlett to stay and getting Cooney across. Whether or not this was in conjunction with the list manager is unknown.

The Giles trade was a reaction to Paddy leaving and the lack of ruck options that wanted to come to the club.

…getting Goddard, Chapman, keeping Carlisle as long as we did & Bellcho, where he saw Cramers probably had a hand in him leaving, all the guys who came & immediately said how much they wanted to play for Hird (so Laverde, Langford, heaaaaps of others), etc etc etc

But that’s not really achieving anything.

I have no issue with the Giles trade. It made sense at the time and cost us virtually nothing. I am critical of the fact he received very few games given our dire ruck situation last year but that’s another matter entirely.

I am upset with the recruitment of Cooney and the fact we didn’t work harder to recruit Jeff Garlett when we have been crying out for that sort of player for a long time and he went so cheaply to Melbourne of all clubs. I felt at the time that we could have used that Cooney pick (or the pick we could have received in exchange for Winders who I would have let go to Richmond) for another clever small forward who I liked at the time in Jack Lonie. He would have been a great pickup. Lonie ended up being taken by St Kilda at pick 41. I know who I’d rather have.

Clean air?

Get ■■■■■■ you sarky ■■■■■■■, I said it’s not helpful to pretend mistakes were something other than mistakes - not that they were huge mistakes or catastrophic.

It wasn’t a mistake, it was well worth giving it a go when there wasn’t much else out there, it cost us nothing and ended up being worth it in the long run.

In regard to de-listings it would seem Disco has been vindicated. iirc, neither Kav, Browne nor NOB have been picked up by another club.
Correct decision.

Cooney will dominate next year if his body is right.

He is an outside player and our contested ball division was non existent for most year including getting smashed in ruck so ball not getting out to him.

In the opening 3 rounds when we had our act together before the WADA stuff flattened everyone he was a matchwinner.

Can’t believe people are getting on Hirds case here over recruits when the club was trying to get it done with limited picks and was hardly a destination club. He is the reason class player like Goddard came to club, he was the glue keeping the playing group together.

And when Cooney is done, Fantasia will be 100% ready to take over.