Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 1)

This guy has the hardest job in the afl at the moment. There is a huge amount of politics and threats playing out. from what I have been told the club are not allowed to talk directly to Hurley and Hibberd as instructed by their dog manager. Trying to get the 12 players back next year which the board have committed too is gonna be hard enough, when managers are already actively shopping them around, but then to sell our club as a desired destination is a massive task. Would Dion Prestia want to come to Essendon if we are gutted in the off season. The list management team have done well over the past couple of years, but the next 12months will define our immediate future. the draft may turn out to be the easy part of their job this year.

Totally agree.

Given a exceptionally tough task last year, and while some people may not be completely happy with the results I think he has done exceptionally well with our list given the circumstances. Given all we copped in sanctions that effected list management and the overall stigma that is now saddled to our club I really think he has done a ■■■■■■ amazing job. Chapman, Z Merrett, Gwilt, Cooney and Giles are great peices who strengthen our list.

I thank you for your resilience, your lateral thinking, and your ability to get on with it and make the most of what you had available to you.

Just one more thing.....

In Hindsight, we are very lucky Merrett fell to our pick. Otherwise it could have been a forgettable draft.
Dodoro said we would have got Rory Lobb. if Merrett wasnt there and he is going alright now at GWS, But Merrett is streets ahead at the moment.

Given a exceptionally tough task last year, and while some people may not be completely happy with the results I think he has done exceptionally well with our list given the circumstances. Given all we copped in sanctions that effected list management and the overall stigma that is now saddled to our club I really think he has done a ■■■■■■ amazing job. Chapman, Z Merrett, Gwilt, Cooney and Giles are great peices who strengthen our list.

I thank you for your resilience, your lateral thinking, and your ability to get on with it and make the most of what you had available to you.

Just one more thing.....

In Hindsight, we are very lucky Merrett fell to our pick. Otherwise it could have been a forgettable draft.
Dodoro said we would have got Rory Lobb. if Merrett wasnt there and he is going alright now at GWS, But Merrett is streets ahead at the moment.

Forgettable draft? As I recall we had two live selections? We took Merrett and then Fantasia at 55.

Both have been nominated for the rising star.

Considering the picks it was a very solid result.

Just one more thing.....

Forgettable draft? As I recall we had two live selections? We took Merrett and then Fantasia at 55.

Yep. The draft is hit and miss and like a game of chess. Taking a gamble and trying to outplay your opponents to which Dodoro has done very well.

• Taking Langford ahead of Laverde knowing that Carlton were very keen on him.
  • snaring Zerrett.

They are just 2 examples, but given our circumstances, you would have to say he has worked his backside off and earned his jackets.

Very happy with his decision making with our early picks of late as well.

Gone are the Gumby / Bradley days… in are the Hurley / Heppell / Parish / Francis days.

How can Essendon not be allowed to talk to contracted players for 2017. Has the world gone mad.

Not allowed yes thats correct Adrian has to go through their Managers. And they’re not making it easy at all.

Actually I believe the club are allowed to negotiate contracts with players. In the case of the Connors players it’s been their choice to have all negotiations via their manager.

That is factually wrong. Club need to go through player’s manager and ask if they can speak to players there are only 3 or 4 talking at the moment. Others do not want to speak to the club.

So about 7 players do not wish to be contacted by the club?

How can Essendon not be allowed to talk to contracted players for 2017. Has the world gone mad.

Not allowed yes thats correct Adrian has to go through their Managers. And they’re not making it easy at all.

Actually I believe the club are allowed to negotiate contracts with players. In the case of the Connors players it’s been their choice to have all negotiations via their manager.

That is factually wrong. Club need to go through player’s manager and ask if they can speak to players there are only 3 or 4 talking at the moment. Others do not want to speak to the club.

So about 7 players do not wish to be contacted by the club?

No. That’s wrong.

Well worth checking out the latest Bomber radio, coats makes an appearance.

You have to say he’s done pretty well with the picks we’ve gotten from trading out players.

Langford for Ryder, Zerrett for Crameri, Fantasia for Gumby, Francis for Carlisle.

And in a way Monfries allowed us to pick up Gleeson, which I’m calling a win too.

Cooney perhaps the only mis-step.

You have to say he's done pretty well with the picks we've gotten from trading out players.

Langford for Ryder, Zerrett for Crameri, Fantasia for Gumby, Francis for Carlisle.

And in a way Monfries allowed us to pick up Gleeson, which I’m calling a win too.

If you’re saying that having Gleeson is a win over having Gus, then nope. Not yet. Maybe not ever.

Monfries is a ■■■■■■ good footballer, and a 200 gamer (150 with us), Gleeson has a long way to go to even get to 100 games at this stage IMVHO.

Agree with everything else though.

You have to say he's done pretty well with the picks we've gotten from trading out players.

If you’re saying that having Gleeson is a win over having Gus, then nope. Not yet. Maybe not ever.

Monfries is a ■■■■■■ good footballer, and a 200 gamer (150 with us), Gleeson has a long way to go to even get to 100 games at this stage IMVHO.

I agree. I’m not convinced at all that Gleeson would still be getting a regular game if the 12 were available.

I agree. I’m not convinced at all that Gleeson would still be getting a regular game if the 12 were available.

From memory he played every game last year when we had our full list, he’s a ■■■■■■ good player and I think he’s a beauty. Bomber likened him to Andrew Mackie - not a bad compliment I think.

From memory he played every game last year when we had our full list, he’s a ■■■■■■ good player and I think he’s a beauty. Bomber likened him to Andrew Mackie - not a bad compliment I think.

Really?

Mackie has about 20kg and 15cm height difference on him

I think it was Enright that he compared him to, not Mackie.

Yeah, it was Enright.

I think Gleeson is a champ, he’s been best 22 with a full list, and Worsfold was straight on to him in the best 22 too.

Monfries was a good player, but I think Gleeson will pip him at the end of their careers.

On the footy live app under Gleeson’s name they have a picture of Tom Wallis, so I think this is proof that Gleeson isn’t doing enough :slight_smile:

Of course, under Tom Wallis, they don’t have a picture at all…

On a serious note, @lamaros, I hope you are right about Gleeson. I was just hoping for more, considering the big wraps Bomber etc had on him early.
But I think he’s been better so far this year, than he was last year.

On the footy live app under Gleeson's name they have a picture of Tom Wallis, so I think this is proof that Gleeson isn't doing enough :)

Of course, under Tom Wallis, they don’t have a picture at all…

On a serious note, @lamaros, I hope you are right about Gleeson. I was just hoping for more, considering the big wraps Bomber etc had on him early.
But I think he’s been better so far this year, than he was last year.

It’s very frustrating watching people break his tackles, not strong enough at the moment to be a good player.

Just one more thing.....

I was saying it could have been a forgettable draft if we didn’t get Zach Merett, as Dodoro said we were after a ruckman (Rory lobb), we are very lucky to get a player of Merretts quality at that pick for Crameri. given the players picked either side of him.

I think his drafting has generally been pretty good. But I don’t think it is appropriate to consider who you draft with a pick when considering if a trade was good or bad. That would mean if we’d traded pick #2 in 2006 and another club had taken Gumby, they’d have lost the trade even if on paper the trade was ridiculous. Or what would happen if we hadn’t taken them.

I remember in 2003 people were saying we would take Ricky Dyson with our later first round pick (#13). People were reasonably happy with that. We didn’t - we got him with our third round pick.

So there is no guarantee that if we’d taken Lobb with #26 over Zerrett, that we might have got Zerrett with Fantasia’s pick. In which case if Lobb didn’t make it, would the trade value be different? No. Because you shouldn’t consider who was drafted.

What you can consider, is the group of players available. So when Hawthorn traded for pick #1, they have every right when saying how valuable that pick was to evaluate the trade to say how good Hodge/Ball/Judd were, and that they new they’d get that quality level.

Eh, it’s all just hot air.

They dun picked good. To get anything for Crameri when he could have walked in the PSD is good.