Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 1)

That is good news, because I think he is getting better every year.

2 Likes

By Calvin Klein??

3 Likes

That post was in reference to our trading. The conversation had acknowledged we were good with late picks and state league players. Green, Kelly, Hartley, Brown, McKernan and Dea were all delisted and picked up by us. So I don’t think they count. They count as drafted, not traded.

Stewart, Bird and Leuy count, although I’d argue whether either of Leuy or Bird count as young.

1 Like

Hirdy described Conor as a top 10 talent. He’s starting to effectively use that athletic prowess on gameday.

Imagine if we come out of the end of the supplements penalties with:

Zerrett - mid
Fantasia - small forward/mid
Ambrose - KPD
Langford - inside mid / fwd
Laverde - forward/mid
McKenna - rebounding defender

We are sold on Ambrose, Fantasia and Zerrett.

Having seen Conor’s past few games, I think he’ll be a best 22 lock for years to come. That’s damn good work from Jackets.

We just need Langford to live up to his impressive form in the reserves and Laverde to get an uninterrupted run.

3 Likes

Consider our forwards: Joe D - FS pick 10, Cale Hooker - pick 54, Raz - pick 55, Walla - rookie pick 22, The Corgi - delisted free agent, James Stewart - traded for pick 77.

Other than with Joe, who was coming to us regardless, anyhow he could have been a 3rd rounder under the previous father son rule; Disco has assembled what is touted as potentially the most lethal forward line in the league with one hand tied behind his back and a pick no higher than 54 (which was a 4th rounder at that time).

If you consider our backline other than Hurley (pick 5) and McGrath (who is destined for the midfield), Dodoro gets plenty of props here too: Baguley rookie pick 47, Hartley pick 68, Ambrose rookie pick 26, McKenna international rookie, Kelly delisted free agent.

Ironically it is our midfield who has been underperforming, and who are composed mostly of first and second round picks and Jobe at pick 40 father son, Hepp pick 8 Zerrett pick 26 (still bargains), BJ free agent and former no. 1, Parish pick 5, Myers pick 6, Zaharakis pick 23, Colyer pick 26, Bellchambers pick 8 PSD.

I think the midfield will improve steadily from here. It seems implausible that Dodoro and Woosha could get so much right in the the forward and back halves and not be able to get more out of our first and second round picks.

5 Likes

PLAYS THE LONG GAME.

1 Like

Stewart was originally drafted at pick 28 and I believe Green was in the 30’s.

1 Like

27 and 32

I was close - Point I was trying to make is this were their original draft positions which is different to the value when the player is traded - It’s still a low ranking forward line by original draft numbers.

1 Like

Yep. It is.

And even more to the point, we got the whole current forward line without any serious competition from other clubs, other than having to commit our first draft pick to Joe.

Props to Dodoro, Woosha and Skippy. Hooker is a hero too for giving up his AA role to learn a new role without a Carlisle style hissy fit.

3 Likes

As @benfti has been banging on for years.

You can draft very good forward pocket players with with late picks or rookie picks. Rarely do they go early in the draft and if they do they’re drafted to play midfield in the future.

1 Like

Looking back at it now getting Zerrett, Raz and Ambrose out of a draft that by all rights should have gutted us is an absolute Jackets miracle.

11 Likes

We should probably all pitch in and get him a jacket.

2 Likes

What to get the man who has every jacket

2 Likes

We should design a one-off jacket, like the club does each fortnight with jumpers.

1 Like

14 Likes

Dry-cleaning vouchers?

8 Likes

Yes and no. 2013 is shaping as a monster draft, with tonnes of talent taken late. There are a number of clubs very happy with what they got.

As I said, being stripped of our picks should have gutted us. This would have been even worse with other clubs scooping up all the late talent whilst we were looking on sadly from the sidelines. Instead we turned Crameri (a rookie pick originally) and Gumby’s shattered back into Zac Merrett and Orazio Fantasia, both of whom have been rated top-10 in retrospective drafts for that year. And as an extra bonus we picked up Ambrose as another rookie.

Sure, other clubs picked up good players with late picks, but there is no way they stood to lose as much as we did if we got what few late picks we had wrong. My point is we would have been happy to keep our heads above water in this draft and instead we came out the other side in a 400-foot luxury yacht complete with private helicopter, giant jacuzzi and a fully-stocked mini-bar.

5 Likes