Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 1)

Pretty sure that was the deal Dodoro was looking for. Fairly certain there is an article about it too in The Sun

Whether or not the doggies would have agreed to it is another story

1 Like

It was the deal Adrian was looking for it not it was going to be Patrick cripps.

However if Bont deal proceeded there would have been Merrett.

The better outcome would have been get pick 26 from crabeki like we did.

Had we not got draft sanctions we then would have taken cripps, Merrett and lobb with our three picks. This is fact.

We really got royally screwed.

1 Like

That should be Crameri.

But hey, the saga was a blessing in disguise as fat eddie always says

ā– ā– ā– ā–  me what a draft that couldā€™ve been

Thats predicated on Carlton not still taking Cripps - no saga they still have a pick before us. Iā€™m also not following how we would have gotten Lobb & Merrett. GWS took him with pick 29, had we not received sanctions our next pick would have been about 32 wouldnā€™t it?

2 Likes

Has done ok but definitely not the messiah like many claim. Needs a big one this off season, 2 genuine mids or into the cannon you go!

Should it though? Because now all I want to do is cheer for a player called Crabeki!

2 Likes

Itā€™s explained in Rick Edwards book they interviewed Adrian.

But youā€™re right J bomber it would have depended where we actually finished if we didnā€™t get banned.

However - Bont/cripps, Crameri out and Merrett and Zach was what we were seeking.

That should read Merrett and lobb. We actually called lobb to tell him
We were taking him before Adrian changed his mind.

Were we hoping Lobb would fall to early 30ā€™s? I can see how the plan may have been Cripps, Lobb and someone like Karpany but unless we were to take Cripps at say 14, Lobb at 26. ( Assuming we still get that for Crameri) & Zerret fell further to 32 I canā€™t see how all 3 were possible.

1 Like

Why the ā– ā– ā– ā–  would any sane, quality talent have chosen essendon as a trade destination since 2012? We need a couple of years of clear air before youā€™re going to essendon being a destination club again, and then itā€™s going to be because people want to play alongside guys like Daniher, Merrett, Fantasia, Hurley, Parish and McGrath.

I reckon the clear air has arrived this year. Other than a few commentators bringing it up every 8 seconds or so during our games, itā€™s pretty much a dead issue. The fact that most of our best players this year have been the young guys not involved in the saga and the footy we have produced when playing our best would make us pretty appealing for players outside of the club with an eye to the next couple of years. Iā€™d say weā€™re shaping up pretty much like we were pre-saga when BJ signed as a free agent with the stated aim to win a premiership. We have great facilities, huge membership, the best two of all the block-buster games, a list of exciting young players (including absolute premium key-position players), an exciting game-style and hopefully by now one of the best club administrations.

Now that the sanctions have been served and weā€™re one season on, I doubt players looking for a trade will worry about the saga.

4 Likes

J bomber at the time we were talking to the dogs about the Bont deal we had pick 11 - cripps was taken 13.

You make good points around the 2nd round picks but the detail is in ruck Edwards book. Iā€™m struggling with my memory.

I do remember we actually got 22 from Crameri but it got pushed to 26 because of compo picks.

No ā– ā– ā– ā– 

I believe that the Crameri trade would have netted us the pick 4 outcome if the saga sanctions didnā€™t occur.

I was in a meeting with the bulldogs head of comms at the western oval on the morning that the Crameri trade broke in the news. McCartney walked past and stopped to speak to the director and in vague terms referenced how unhappy the bombers were with the proposed deal, and I remember him clearly saying that we were angry at the wrong bloke. At the time i couldnā€™t work out who we should have been angry atā€¦another playerā€¦a coach??? Iā€™ve since thought that McCartney was probably referencing Demetriou for having applied the sanctions and screwed up our draft hand and therefore removing any chance of getting pick 4.

1 Like

If the bulldogs revruiter gave up pick 4 for Crameri even with a pick coming back he deserves to be sacked. Donā€™t care about the whispers thats completely dreaming on our behalf.

2 Likes

Screw Footscray. We had every right to be angry at them. They didnā€™t apply the draft sanctions, but they took full advantage to bend us over a barrel and fark us from there because of them. They desperately wanted our leading goal-kicker, were offering him top-dollar, but then refused to pay us evens for him because they knew we had our backs to the wall. Fark em with a rusty chainsaw. Same with Port and what they were offering for Ryder, who was and is a way better player than Crameri.

What goes around comes around and weā€™ll have our turn to return the favour.

2 Likes

I loved stewie his attack on the ball/man was great. I feel a little bit ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  making this comparison but it illustrates a point.

Crameri third tall forward highest goals 37 in a season moved for $500k

Chris Mayne third tall forward highest goals in a season 39 moved for $500k

Tyrone Vickery third tall forward highest goals 31 in a season moved for $500k

Sorry to do that too you Cramers. But there is no way known we were getting pick 4 he was never ever worth that.

A ā€œ2nd round pick, take or leave itā€ deal was still unders, regardless of how he compares to Tyrone Farking Vickery. And every other option we tried to offer to them (combinations of picks and players) to make it equitable was shrugged off because they knew the AFL had pointed a cannon in our face and asked us to smile about it. Mayne and Vickery were free agents whose clubs were happy to see to the door, particularly as any compensation was going to be overs due to the stupidity of the contract being offered by their new clubs. Crameri was our leading goal-kicker and they were desperate to get him. They were poaching him and if anything should have been paying overs. Instead the AFL pulled our pants down and the Bulldogs decided they would have a piece of it. Like I said, fark em.

1 Like

I agree but Iā€™m not really sure they were interested in Stewie at any price. I think a more realistic deal we could have done would have been 26 and a fringe player. I actually remember JJā€™s name being thrown up at the time as i think he was fringe at that point. No idea internally how high they rated him but the pick swap being talked about is probably a bit fanciful. I rated pig a better player than Stewie & I think we got worse value there but yeah fark Dogs, Port & Dees.