Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 1)

Don’t disagree with what you’re saying here but I think you’ve very harashly overlooked Zac Merrett. So we have at least 2 players of this type. Also McGrath has all the attributes and will develop in time as a full time mid.

1 Like
  1. I know for a fact that the EFC have been looking for fast, running mid fielders last year and this year…maybe there aren’t that many out there that fit the bill.
  2. Let’s also remember the years draft picks were thrown at GWS & the GC. The ramification are being felt to this very day for any team that has not been a cellar dweller for many years. GWS still getting top end draft picks to this very day.

If there is an issue at the club at the minute, it’s not playing the young guys.

For mine, Begley, Parish etc need to stay in and any young guy that remotely looks the goods needs to come in. Myer, Brown etc need to go and stay gone…they are never going to win us a premiership. We will move heaps on at the end of this year cause its gunna be a deep talent draft … our window is still 2 or 3 years away IMO.

4 Likes

Fair point.

What we have in an incredibly ‘talented’ list!

But what we know is that talent doesn’t always win you premierships.

I think we have the talent but not necessarily the commitment. For mine that sits with the players themselves as they are ultimately responsible.

We had a Brownlow medallist running around then

1 Like

I think we have a best 22 that can realistically make finals. I don’t think we have a list that can challenge for the flag or make finals if our depth is tested.

There is clearly a coaching/culture issue. Obviously we can argue until the cows come home as to how strong/talented or not the list is. But I think virtually everyone would agree it is stronger this year than last year.

If our performances don’t improve, its pretty clear that the difference vs. last year isn’t due to the list manager.

4 Likes

In what way exactly is the list stronger than last year? We’ve lost our best clearance player & have nobody who is filling that role. I’d also have no problem saying that Kelly was clearly playing better footy last year than Saad is right now. We’ve also lost a hell of a lot of depth in players like Hocking, Howlett, Stanton & Bird all of whom played games last year. Smith is a very good inclusion no doubt at all but thats the only quantifiable at this stage.

3 Likes

Agree.

I’m now feeling like the slide may have started in the week prior to Jobes decision to retire since then we limped over the line against Calton & Freo, were shithouse vs Swans, had a very poor preseason game vs Richmond and played x2 good quarters in the Geel pre season match and v Crows. And were duds v Freo and WB pretty much for x4 quarters.

I believe last year you referred to them as list cloggers.

4 Likes

Losing AA caliber players because of the Saga hasn’t helped either. Imagine our team still with Carlisle, Ryder and Hibberd

4 Likes

Yep.

I don’t have a problem with the list talent wise.

Considering the picks we have had we have got plenty of talent.

As others have pointed out it seems like a cultural thing. That can be extremely hard to change.

3 Likes

Watson, Stanton and Kelly - no. I m also pretty sure I have never used that term for Hocking. I was also front and center calling for Bird to be played.

Richmond !

Yeah nah, Martin is one of the most talented players in the league, Cotchin is a class player & they added players like Prestia who would waltz backwards into our starting midfield. They also have a hell of a lot of midfield options they can rotate. Guys like Ellis for example would play fulltime mid for us, they can afford to rotate him off the back flank. Our flankers (Mckenna, Saad, Dea, Gleeson) haven’t shown any real ability to play midfield. We have had some success with Tippa & Raz but again Richmond have guys like Caddy, Lambert & Edwards. I’d also say Houli plays a midfield role just does it from the backline.

I think Richmond’s coaching absolutely deserves accolades & I still wouldn’t regard them as having the most talented list but they do have a lot of skilled players in what i regard as by far the most important part of modern footy. They realised after years of toiling with guys like Griffiths, Hampson & Vickery that even the best tall marking targets take bugger all contested marks these days & that speed & agility were far more potent.

1 Like

I’m not sure it was an active decision on any of those talls bar Vickery who wasn’t up to it

Griffiths they went to everytime when fit but he has concussion and other injury issues. Hampson as well injury woes.

Tigers are heavily into Tom Lynch so they are not giving up on idea of having a strong marking target

JR being so good at ground level a huge help to their cause, his fwd 50 pressure and tackling is excellent these days as well.

I find It’s interesting to look at post sanctions first and second rounders, the success of this group will have a massive impact on our current/medium future and perhaps Dodors future.

Langford (17)
Laverde (20)
Parish (5)
Francis (6)
Morgan (29)
Redman (30)
McGrath (1)
Ridley (21)
Begley (31)

You might as well include all rounds if you are measuring Dodoro’s performance.

If you find a minimum of two quality players from each draft you are doing well and it doesn’t matter if they are first rounders or rookie picks.

Dodoro has proven he can find gems late in drafts as well as early.

1 Like

Draft position is just a number and an opinion. The number doesn’t exist till the club makes a choice.

2 Likes

lol

Langford - dud
Laverde - dud
Parish - pass mark (just)
Francis LMAO
Morgan - oh stop it
Redman - haven’t given up yet
McGrath - A+ but it was a number 1 pick so hard to faaark that up
Ridley - who? still injured?
Begley HOPELESS

A bit rough.