Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 1)

yep, we might have beaten the second worst team in the comp last week.

We are hopeless.

And you can’t even give him credit for Daniher!!

Hurley he got right but then again he was a high pick.

Merrett he got right.

Myers :frowning:

Dudoro

Yeah, of course your right. It’s just another lense in which to view the performance of our recruiting. Obvioulsy the majority of the elite talent goes in the first two rounds and it’s your best chance of finding an out an out Star. I look at that list and yes it’s very early days but outside McGrath I’m not sure there is another future A grade player, certainly more hopeful than confident.

2 Likes

I think there is an element of luck with when you actually bottom out.

The 2016 draft is looking pretty thin of superstar talent and the top ten is just going ok.

Oliver looks a gun but the next best mid is a raffle at this stage.

Just when you think you’ve seen the stupidest post here ever, … :roll_eyes:

10 Likes

So to make a rough point of data, you’d disregard all the 1st round picks, and see how many A graders have come out of what’s left. Which of course, at this stage, is not many.

Ah, I think you’re referring to the 2015 draft?

1 Like

Yes, the Parish - Francis draft.

BTW, I agree with you there is some luck to when you have picks. We had picks in 2002 and 2003 due to trades (and Jackson stuffing the salary cap), which happened to be two very bad draft years.

2 Likes

The 2015 draft looks weak but it was also stacked with talls that at this stage aren’t really amounting to much. Excluding Curnow of course.

We desperately needed class mids and there wasn’t a great deal of depth.

Plus a lot of the class mids were locked away AND pushed picks back. Our 21/22 became 28/29, and Heeney, Mills, Hopper, were all locked away.

1 Like

Ironic that you have used the word “stupidest”. I assume you meant “the most stupid”

2 Likes

Shut up gadet operator

No.

1 Like

ARE YOU FORGETTING WEITERING???

2 Likes

Haven’t forgotten him.

He’s out of form at the moment but he’s clearly talented.

I just don’t have him in the same league as Curnow. I would have Hipwood before Weitering.

1 Like

It doesn’t only come down to drafting. How a club develops players is also a huge factor. Does anybody really believe that if we’d have picked rioli over myers rioli would be as good as he is at hawthorn?

Sydney is an amazing club. Look at the way they develop late picks rookies and discards.

You can be the best recruiter in the world but if you can’t develop players you are going nowhere.

Melbourne is the oerfect example. Watts trengove morton. Universal top picks by all recruiters by all reports but couldn’t develop at melbourne.

2 Likes

I think you can narrow it down specifically to our identification and development of midfielders. Elsewhere our development and value picks are quite good.

Our first choice forward line is basically Daniher plus long shots. pick 55 (Fantasia), pick 54 (Hooker), a delistee (Green), a player who wasn’t playing traded for pick 77 (Stewart), and a rookie (Tippa).

Our backline has a high pick in Hurley, a reasonably high trade in Saad, plus long shots. This year has cycled through pick 53 (Gleeson), pick 54 (Brown), pick 68 (Hartley), a rookie (Baguley), a delistee (Dea), and an international rookie (McKenna). Plus we’re waiting for a rookie (Ambrose) to return from injury, and debuting pick 76 (Guelfi). Oh, and last year’s AA half back was one of our PSD picks (Hibberd).

Our (admittedly sporadic) ruckman is a PSD choice.

Our midfield on the other hand, arguably the weakest part of the field, is pick 1 (McGrath), pick 5 (Parish), pick 6 (Myers), pick 8 (Heppell), restricted free agent former pick 1 (Goddard), pick 23 (Zaharakis), pick 26 (Merrett), reasonably high trade former pick 14 (Smith), and reasonably high trade former pick 5 being shoehorned into the midfield (Stringer). No rookies, no late picks, no bargain trades.

14 Likes

So tldr our coaching and development is ■■■■? #cgs