Adrian Dodoro - Flankers into Mids since 2000 (Part 1)

Techinically speaking “stupidest” is a word, however good grammar does not promote the suffex “est” to be added to the adjective (such as stupid) to form the superlative (stupidest). This is partly because adding a suffex to a two syllable word is to be avoided. It tends to make one sound, well, rather stupid. It does however work better with one syllable words i.e. dumb being the adjective and dumbest being the superlative.

The point being that “stupidest” is ironically a word that is more likely to be used by stupid people.

Close your text books, next class we will be discussing irony for two seconds and then Jake Stringer’s goal from the boundary line for the rest of the class.

4 Likes

*suffix

4 Likes

On the bright side - you kinda know that it wasn’t a copy/paste :wink:

2 Likes

Actually it was pretty close to a cut and paste.

I had to amend the word suffix to suffex to cover my tracks.

2 Likes

Your smarterer then me, than.

1 Like

suffix to say no one cares any more.

One of the ironyest posts eva

1 Like

The three Ss all stood out today.
Pleasing to see what we hoped for is actually happening. Especially in the one game.

4 Likes

It’s amazing how 18 years can pass since a premiership.

Sheedy was always going to go out kicking and swearing, had to go sometime after a period of not winning. 3 years of not playing in the finals was probably about right in the end.

That gets us to 2008, over 7 years since the previous cup.

Knights was not a glorious appointment, but at the time it seemed to be nurturing a young crop of players and drafting did improve - We still have Hurls, Hooker, Zaka, TBC, Myers, Colyer. All of Sheeds men have gone now.

That gets us to 2011 (2010 draft)

There really was so much promise under Hird, although we have only retained Heppell, Jerrett and Bags from the 2010 and 2011 draft and we got going a bit better in 2012 with getting BJ under free agency, Joe, Gleeson and Ambo. So in the 2 x 3 year periods when we had of unpenalised access to the draft (other than GCS and GWS concessions) post Sheedy we have retained an average of about 2 players a year between 2007 and 2012 drafts.

So the other 32 players on our list have been secured since our draft sanctions kicked in in 2013 which means in the past 5 years we have gotten Zerrett, Raz, McKenna, Walla, Stewart, Green, Parish, McGrath, Smith, Stringer, Saad who are mostly clear best 22 players plus up and comers Begley, Langford, Laverde, Francis, Ridley, Mutch, Hartley, Brown, Zerk, Guelfi, Clarke, Dea, Draper and a number of others whose potential may still be realised.

I think we will have quality players in Begley, Ridley, Zerk and Draper at this point. Which probably means a strike rate of about 3 quality players at least in each of the past 5 years and hopefully several more, and certainly several more solid citizen role players who will be vital to our success.

While I have glossed over the picks we have got for the likes of Crameri, Ryder, Melksham, Carlisle, Hibberd and Gumby; other than Zerrett and Raz, these haven’t fully born fruit as yet, and we ideally would have gotten these draft picks and more if not for the penalties, and not have lost most of the senior players we did in this period.

Nevertheless, and quite remarkably really, other than a bull mid or 2, I think our list is very strong. Rather than players, what we need to address most in coming years is more likely our coaching panel. Woosha may be the man, but other than being happy with having Kelly on board, I am not convinced by any of our line coaches.

I am still open to some convincing this year given the side isn’t settled and familiar with each other yet, but unless there is a clear trajectory of improvement, I would be looking at an overhaul of our line coaches next year, and get some proven quality in of the likes of Caracella and other proven quantities or at least very respected past players who have an obvious aptitude for coaching in for 2019.

We do need to realise the potential of this current group of players if we don’t want another 18 years to pass without a premiership.

5 Likes

I think we all kinda know it…

If you list say the >190cm players we have drafted over the last 15 years, the conversion into AFL players of at least say 50 senior games…it might be 50% or something (just a guess).

Do the same exercise for players <190cm, and it might be 25% or something.

(Could just compare the average number of games played, according to height)

Is this something to do with Dodoro’s drafting strategies? Probably yes, due to the failed half back/half forward conversion strategy.

How about you just affix the word suffix to suffex, . then bash 'em straight up your clacker?

The draft penalties, loss of Ryder and Pig especially, and the picks given to GC and GWS have all conspired to make it very tough for Jackets and co.

Coupled with the fact we haven’t spent any consective years over the last 10+ yrs down the bottom to snag several top 5 picks, it just compounds it even more.

2 Likes

2015/2016?
And 06-08 is pretty close (picks 2, 6, 5)

06 is now a write-off, despite some good picks. Gumby, Jetta, Hislop, Davey, Houli, Reimers, Mal Michael, ■■■■, Chartres and a resurrected Rama.

Only thing we have to show for all those is the pick 55 in the 2013 draft that Freo gave us for Gumby which turned into Raz, which is poetic. We also eventually ended up with pick 4 in Leuenberger as a free agent, and hopefully up to 4 Davey boys starting in 3 to 4 years time.

When I put it like that, it could turn out to be quite a haul considering none of them are playing for us now.

2 Likes

Plays the long game does Jackets.

2 Likes

Have quite a few f/s coming through over the next few years

1 Like

Cant wait to get a top 5 pick so dodo can recruit a HFF to hopefully move into the midfield or chase that midfielder who is tiny.

6 Likes

I’ve been a supporter of Dodorro’s. Especially the way he has managed contract talks, and Brought opposition players to the club.

But he needs to change tact or move on.
Nice kids arnt going to cut it.
We need kids who are competitive, we needs kids with fire in the belly, we need kids who want more than just winning, we need kids who have it in their blood to be competitive, we need kids who are going niggle and annoy the opposition l, we need kids that will stick up for their team mates.

We have none of this. Except in a 33 year old player who will probably retire because he’s had enough.

3 Likes

I think a lot of the kids do and then Essendon takes it out of them

2 Likes

Again today we saw what is soooo wrong with our drafting by the dud. Melksham was never a genuine mid and only shot into 1st round contention because of a few goals in the TAC GF. We spend years failing to turn him into a mid, Melbourne play him to his strength as a forward and he perfoms. It’s not rocket science!

6 Likes