Prove you're Australian or gtfo

Australia’s Border Force will be stopping people on the streets of Melbourne, and people are freaking out

This weekend Australian Border Force (ABF) officers will be taking part in an unprecedented operation on the streets of Melbourne that will involve checking people’s visa details.

Operation Fortitude will target the city’s Metro trains, Yarra trams, taxis and the Sheriff’s offices, particularly focusing on people travelling to, from and around the CBD.

Authorities will be looking for anything from anti-social behaviour to outstanding warrants.

“ABF officers will be positioned at various locations around the CBD speaking with any individual we cross paths with,” ABF Regional Commander Victoria and Tasmania, Don Smith says.

“You need to be aware of the conditions of your visa; if you commit visa fraud you should know it’s only a matter of time before you’re caught out.”

It is the first time the federal immigration and law enforcement organisation have joined forces with Victoria Police to target crime in the city.

The operation will work on an ongoing basis to target crime in and around the Melbourne CBD.

As of 2013, one in every 20 backpackers received a 457 “working holiday” visa which allows them to stay in Australia for four years.

But last year Melbourne officials found one third of beggars in the CBD were actually backpackers who had run out of money.

To combat the rising number of beggars on the streets, Melbourne Lord Mayor Robert Doyle began a campaign against begging and implemented anti-begging strategies.

Source

Hope they can see through my French accent…

They’re going to hold a bye-election? I just assumed it was CoalitionForLife.

Seriously, it’s the pollie’s winter holiday, of course nothing is happening on that front.

They’d mind.

They’re throwing the kitchen sink at Canning.

Actually, I don’t think the ALP would really mind all that much if the Libs held Canning.

If they lose, Abbott’s very likely to lose the leadership, & my guess is that Morrison is the most likely replacement. Now Morrison is a scumbag, but he’s a much more organised scumbag than Abbott. As long as Abbott stays in the leadership, all the ALP need to do to win the next election is make vague reassuring noises and avoid any really spectacular scandals. A new leader, even though the bloodletting would look bad, might be a tougher proposition once the dust settles.

Won’t be long now. They’re on track to lose Canning.

how embarrassment.

Operation Fortitude

How many taxpayer dollars are spent on cops in a ‘think tank’ coming up with operation names?

Because that one was worth it.

Operation Fortitude

How many taxpayer dollars are spent on cops in a ‘think tank’ coming up with operation names?

Because that one was worth it.

Considering the Victorian government spent $20 million to make the new logo, I would say this would cost them us more than it costs to have illegal people in Australia.

Anti begging strategies? If they don’t beg, they are still gonna need money, so… A reduction in crime you reckon?

Tony Abbott was born in England. I bet he doesn’t have a Visa.

Welcome to Stalinist Russia

Somehow I think I, and many members of this forum, will not be checked due to our, er, “demographical appearance”

Hope they ask me for my visa to or from the footy on Saturday

Tell Conor not to say anything.

Somehow I think I, and many members of this forum, will not be checked due to our, er, "demographical appearance"

There are more English backpackers overstaying their visa, than any other demographic. It’s our biggest ‘immigration’ problem in fact.

I doubt they’ll be targeting white people with pompous accents and bad teeth though.

“The fark you lookin at carnt?! Give us my ciggies back ya farken dog!”

Um, if the ABF really intend to catch visa fraudsters why have they announced the time and place to the media beforehand?

Surely there isn’t a hidden agenda here.

Um, if the ABF really intend to catch visa fraudsters why have they announced the time and place to the media beforehand?

Surely there isn’t a hidden agenda here.

BE ALARMED for the Melbourne International Security Theatre Festival.
Somehow I think I, and many members of this forum, will not be checked due to our, er, "demographical appearance"

Look out Taj.