PSA - there's still a year left this decade

I figured that this would be right up your alley.

1 Like

You do actually, as it’s tenth birthday is the completion of its tenth year. A baby isnt 1 on the day it’s born.

1 Like

That is indeed what I just said.
I’m not sure you’re following.
The whole point of this thread is that we must start from 1 about dates.

Ah, I see the confusion.
Replace with ‘the whole of their tenth year’ with ‘the whole of the year that they are ‘ten’.’

All good.
And yep, the whole of the year they are “ten” is in fact their 11th year, same as in other dates for example, the 14th century is the 1300’s etc.

2 Likes

The end of this year is indeed the end of a decade.
The suggestion that, no, you’re only counting nine years can easily be replied with, actually, I’m not.
And you’d be right.

But with counting the year we’re are living in, we’re not counting it as a year in the past.
2019 is the current year. We’re not in the 20th year.
That’s the difference.

edit. have to skedaddle, see you next year…lol. HNY Blitzers!

Thread of the decade!

11 Likes

You really just need to acknowledge how long 10 years is.

From any day dot you want to abide by, 10 years had passed (eg: a full decade had passed), at the end of the tenth year. Ergo, at the end of year 10, and therefore, the end of year 20,… or as it is, 2020.

Not that hard. :+1:

If we follow the logic, it means we haven’t won a flag this millennium. You cruel evil bastards.

3 Likes

Blame Prince

1 Like

No, it’s not that hard.
So if you want to start at a number ending in zero, like a Person, then the decade finishes at the tick after 9.99999 years.

If you want to start counting at a number ending in one, like a friggin’ nong, then feel free to celebrate the end of your tenth year at the first tick of 11.

And we shall all laugh and point at you.

It bothers me a little that it seems like some people can’t count to ten.
Or that they don’t understand that where you finish depends entirely on where you choose to start.

bugman’s point is a technical one, that rests entirely on there being no year zero.
I concede that completely.
As was pointed out, technically correct is the best kind of correct.

But it seems like people are arguing that the start of 2010 to the end of 2020 is a decade!

I count this decade as starting from the start of 2010. Therefore the end of this decade is the last day of 2019. That way it works nice and neatly that the 20s are a decade, 30s are a decade. Because you don’t count the year 2000 as being part of the 90s.

6 Likes

Exactly.
Precisely.
There can be no argument that this is A decade.

You can argue whether it’s The decade.
If you like.
And that’s still an argument.

1 Like

In Korea (at least South Korea), you are born you on your first birthday and you are officially are 1 and after 12 months it is your 2nd birthday, and you are 2, which makes absolute sense.

You’re in your second year, for the entirety of the year.
It does make a certain amount of sense.
All depends on your perspective.

Yep

Do 40 year olds walk around saying “I’m still in my thirties” ?

hell yeah :stuck_out_tongue:

12 Likes

Women say that when they in their 50’s :joy: