Purple Patches : The best

Sometimes a great player has a brilliant game,  one that stands out above the rest.  Sometimes its a journeyman player who makes his mark with a performance you will never forget.

For me,  one of these,  and perhaps one we might sometimes “overlook”,  because this guy was tiny, in the context of AFL today. But this day he took on about 4 opponents in the second quarter Essendon vs Footscray 2001,  on fire is the expression.  5 goals including mark of the year in one quarter.  Played way above his height and pay grade that day : Gary Moorcroft.

Links please  to you tube of any of these purple patches .  Enjoy the off season !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdUK-Cc4Ajw

That’s the best mark you’ll ever see.

It was more than the mark, it was the whole package: an amazing quarter to build up the story. Even the coverage builds up, post-mark: replays from so many angles climaxing with the low side shot that made it famous. It really doesn’t look like much before that.

When it happened I jumped out of my seat and my radio flew out of the jacket pocket and two rows down.

P.S. Pink sweater girl still isn’t impressed.

Inevitably going to rate a mention. Hidden amongst this somewhere, everyone’s best mate K Reimers had a day out. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPk_ao098ds

Jesus Christ I ■■■■■■■ hate Dwayne Russel

Jesus Christ I ■■■■■■■ hate Dwayne Russel

he is crazy good, what are you talking about peeto.

Inevitably going to rate a mention. Hidden amongst this somewhere, everyone's best mate K Reimers had a day out. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPk_ao098ds

Count the rats, Gus, Reimers and Ryder 

Oh how I loved Moorecroft! Didn’t realized he speckied Brad J, even sweeter.

It was more than the mark, it was the whole package: an amazing quarter to build up the story. Even the coverage builds up, post-mark: replays from so many angles climaxing with the low side shot that made it famous. It really doesn’t look like much before that.

When it happened I jumped out of my seat and my radio flew out of the jacket pocket and two rows down.

P.S. Pink sweater girl still isn’t impressed.

She is unimpressed enough for two people.

Hmmmm .. how do we delete posts in the neue BB?
Hmmmm .. how do we delete posts in the neue BB?

Blitz PSA …

“That service is currently unavailable at the present time”

What about Fred Gallagher in 1956 at Windy Hill against Geelong Twelve or was it thirteen lazy goals. Could never repeat the effort.

Please post S Lucas. One man army Vs West Coast

I'll give you 4 Neale daniher 1981 scum couldn't lay a finger on him in the last 5 mins I was behind the goals 26 pts down in time on to win incredible ..have a look at the fist pump from Neale...he was bobbing up everywhere

The Leon baker purple patch in 1984 gf last quarter hard to beat …game changer …first flag in 19 years I saw old timers with tears in their eyes that day when Bradbury kicked the goal and the baker blind turn and goal the loudest crowd noise I have heard in footy, the sleeping giant awoke

Michael longs 1993 final series was a purple patch for 4 weeks

James hird game v weagles when he hugged the supporter got it out of the centre repeatedly in that frantic last quarter v cousins judd and kerr at their peak and then snuck fwd and kicked the winning goals … Amazing stuff

Honourable mentions
James hird Anzac day medal games …which one? There were several I will go for the one when cupido starred also

Andrew lovett Anzac day purple patch

Great purple patches and memories there.

Oh yea, remember that well,  nearly fell off the balcony behind goal,  I so happy. O:-)

In 2014 there was one purple patch.  Jake Carlisle played a 2 game purple patch and then was injured.

Now I m hoping this purple patch will be just the first.    So for Jake,  its his first purple patch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb-PKNfqgRU

Nick Walsh - 8 goals in 1987 pre-season match.

I always forget this guy’s name … was it Burke? I was at Arden St (or Princes Park?) and he was up the other end kicking something like 5 goals in his first quarter of footy. We thought we’d found the Messiah. He was out of the team by about Round 5 and we never saw him again.

I always forget this guy's name ... was it Burke? I was at Arden St (or Princes Park?) and he was up the other end kicking something like 5 goals in his first quarter of footy. We thought we'd found the Messiah. He was out of the team by about Round 5 and we never saw him again.

Yep  -  it was Arden St and he kicked 3 (possibly more) in Q1.  Didn’t really touch the ball much after that.  We struggled all day and were always 2-3 goals down from memory.  Burke lasted a handful of rounds and was never seen again.

Here’s the write up of Burke from the club website (http://www.essendonfc.com.au/club/history/past-player-profiles/past-player-profiles---b)

BURKE, David W.

Years Played: 1980
Born: 6/11/1959
Height: 189 cm
Weight: 83 kg
Debut order: 874

Number(s): 29

Games: 3
Goals: 6

Previous Clubs: Horsham

David Burke was a ruckman and forward who came from Horsham.

He kicked five goals in his debut game in late 1980 and played two more games that year, but he could not go on with it and languished in the Reserves until early 1982. He was also hampered by a serious ankle injury.

Burke was cleared to St Mary’s, Geelong, in early 1982, and he was then assistant coach and a player with Bell Park from 1983 to 1986. He represented the Geelong Football League in 1982, 1984 and 1985.

Here’s the write up of Burke from the club website (http://www.essendonfc.com.au/club/history/past-player-profiles/past-player-profiles---b)

BURKE, David W.

Years Played: 1980
Born: 6/11/1959
Height: 189 cm
Weight: 83 kg
Debut order: 874

Number(s): 29

Games: 3
Goals: 6

Previous Clubs: Horsham

David Burke was a ruckman and forward who came from Horsham.

He kicked five goals in his debut game in late 1980 and played two more games that year, but he could not go on with it and languished in the Reserves until early 1982. He was also hampered by a serious ankle injury.

Burke was cleared to St Mary’s, Geelong, in early 1982, and he was then assistant coach and a player with Bell Park from 1983 to 1986. He represented the Geelong Football League in 1982, 1984 and 1985.