Questions about Training 19th January, not a report

Yeah Port went to Abu Dhabi for heat training. Which makes no sense as it’s winter there that time of year and a really pleasant 25-28 degrees every day (except for one of week in January where it may rain and you need a light jumper for the ‘chill’). I just presumed they were doing dodgy ■■■■.

2 Likes

He’s still been healthy enough to play 30 games in those first 2 seasons. Injury has played a small part, but plenty of guys have had more injury problems in their first 2 seasons and still made it.

It’s a copout to blame his situation on injuries

1 Like

Laverde does appear to be doing a fair bit of training with the midfielders. Loves a run down bone crushing tackle.

That might be LLav he has worn the green 23 top a couple of times. Myers has actually been impressive at training in the tight contested drills, hope to see a good year from him.

2 Likes

I reckon that is Myers. Stewart desperately needs to learn when to lower his centre of gravity in contested situations. He gets pushed off far far too easily. He tends to use his arms at times where he needs to use his core and legs. It is apparent from that photo how easily opponents get under his shoulder and tip him off balance and away from the drop.

Myers has him high. Free kick.

Only a day for the diehards… Hot hot hot… A good thing that there are two seven 11s on Melrose Drive… Perfect day for a slushy!

Didn’t stay for the whole session but took in the match sim and afl x games…

Langford was dare I say elite… Happy to eat humble pie based on my previous reports…Was everywhere across the match sim and AFL x… Got a lot of the footy, particularly in the AFL x and was running end to end harder than most… Got some brilliant stoppages today. One of them involved him getting the footy spinning in one motion and then taking a couple of steps before delivering forward… Looks quicker, and today demanded the football on the lead and on one contests… Determination and belief is all that separates him from being elite… Showcased his agility, and ability overhead… And then there his ability to kick it, which was elite… Come on Lang, this is your year.

Fantasia…Awesome. Burst through the middle at times. Played half back in AFL X… Breathtaking to watch… Got hit in the head heavily at one point which caused concern… Ended up recovering ok though… What a player… Ready to become one of the greats…

Hooksy played today… Looks underdone but physically looks in ripping nick.

Mitch Brown played on Daniher… Was actually pretty competitive at times. Looks stronger in the contest.

McKenna played half back and was on the burst whenever he got it… The highlight was a brilliant running goal off half back… Collected, took a couple of bounces and exploded away from all-comers before finishing from 40m. Looked like an All Australian Half Back today…

Saad is still adjusting… Looked quick with ball in hand though… Needs to compose himself with his kicking at times… Delivered a few hail Mary’s long when he could have lowered the eyes and spotted a shorter option.

Francis was absent…

Lavender showed signs, a great lead and and mark in the second half of the match sim.

Houlahan, kicked a ripping goal! 3-4 bounces after taking a mark… Starting to like the look of him…

McGrath was busy throughout and looks bigger across the shoulders… Set for a role in the midfield.

Ambo solid as always, and looks lighter… I’m still not sold on his kicking though. Particularly against the breeze… Moved laterally better than I’d remembered and worked through the midfield to kick a goal in AFLX which was impressive.

Parish…Accumulated, busy and is bigger again… Got forward to kick a ripping goal.

Happy to answer any questions, more highlights may come into my head later. For now though, I’m going for a nap!

66 Likes

It’s definitely Myers, Lavender has been wearing the green 22 at training, probably one of the few jumper sizes that would fit him.

For those that have wanted Stewart to be the second ruck this sort of outmaneuvering of him has been a constant problem of his, with many smaller players getting the best of him and the bigger ruckman having no trouble at all.

2 Likes

Hands off, Langers is my boy :grinning:

Top work Scorch

1 Like

Thanks @Scorch That’s a ripper report. Enjoyed the read.

Really hoping we get a fully fit Cale Hooker this year.

Did Frang participate in any of the drills? Or was he on the outa doing laps.

BTW you’re the real MVP for going today AND providing a training report.

1 Like

Pin in the Langford thread

10 Likes

Scorch with the sunstroke training report!!!

Lid off, clothes off.

Farking let’s go!!!

1 Like

Best news about Langford all preseason! Thankyou.

Any observations about Laverde?

2 Likes

Either really exciting re: Langford or really worrying for our other midfielders.

Best biceps in the afl… If Dolphin Lundgren played… Didn’t do anything special. Pushing up into the midfield and played as a very high half forward. Wasn’t a standout today

Not from what I saw… The sessions were Frangaless…

Or Courtney Dempsey as a forward.

1 Like

25-28 degrees is pleasant, but add 80% humidity (which is the current humidity in Abu Dhabi rn) then it gets pretty tough. Will be testing their aerobic capacity under heavy stress no doubt.

The stress of all those duty free bottles of goon?

LAV! Come on LAV fkg just tear it up for us all here

2 Likes