Quiz 28 - The Seventies

I really don’t want to denigrate your work @soulnet (which is 100% sterling!) but I guess the confusion may come from the wording of the question (“Axel F” was the first top ten hit for which group?) The original act was a solo artist. Unless there was another version I’m not aware of in between, the next hit version did indeed come from Crazy Frog, which is a production team’s nom de plume so I guess could be construed as a “group”.
On that basis, give him/her a yes on a technicality (unless of course there is another version you’re thinking of…)

Ok I’ll give this one away. I assume you’re talking about Harold Faltermeyer (who also turns up on the Top Gun soundtrack).

The answer I was looking for was ‘Clock’ which came out in 1995. It was a doof doof remix before the frog. Clock also did a cover of whoomp there it is, for some unknown reason.

Also PSY (gangnam style) also used axel f samples in 2002.

I’ll pay it cause it was so elegantly argued and the group clock are so bad.

1 Like

12- mcdav- 42?

1 Like

I see Wimm guesses 40 and you said it was in the 40’s. Before I read that I was gonna guess Elvis was

12 - mrjez - 45 y.o. ???

Ha! Well, there you go… you were thinking of someone else altogether! I suspected you were, just couldn’t for the life of me work out what it was (and still have no idea… I’ll have to Youtube it…)

I like wrong guesses :slight_smile: It makes good converstation!

And yes, now that I’ve listened to it (or as much as I could stomach), Clock were ■■■■■■■ horrible…

1 Like

Did you look up whoomp there it is as well?

Nah… think I’ll pass. I never liked the original particularly (at least Harold’s Axel F was catchy), and I reckon I can imagine how horrid it is…

7 Stressed_out Box

1 Like

Thought more guesses would come for 18. You don’t lose a point for a wrong answer!

Fair enough.
They seem like a seventies band to me.

18 wimmera1 - Seventies

See there you go!

Clue time!

1 - Mr “somebody”. Very Brittish. A barney the dinosaur type character.
4 - Also did “Theme to Harry’s Game”. Enya esk.
11 - has been part of a question before.
20 - With its strings around your heart, Soft and sweet as dreams begin, Sadly crying when you part"

1 wimmera1 Blobby

I actually thought it was that initially based on absolutely nothing.

1 Like

4 wimmera1 - Clannad

Or is that too obvious?

1 Like

Did Mr Blobby make it to Australian TV screens?

11 -AD Don - Lou Reed

Nope!

11 - BAKKEERRRR - Jimmy Nail

1 Like