Re-Introducing Extinct Species, Cloning

How about cloning Hird?

This

Better wait a few months in case he comes back a better person (and you adhere to lamarck's theory) 

How about cloning Hird?

Scientific analysis and procedures are inapplicable to supernatural or miraculous phenomena.

How about cloning Hird?

nah - prefer John Coleman.  We can then send Carlisle back. 

How about cloning Hird?

No need to. He has 9 months off. We've seen his house and surely there is a bedroom in there. We've seen Tania.

1 + 2 = 3

Oh and no to bringing back extinct species unless it's in a strict quarantined area.

We never seem to know what happens to a species when reintroduced or introduced to a new area and it's not something you can experiment in the lab with. Unfortunately negatives only appear once it's too late.

I'm all for it in the case of reintroducing species that became extinct as a result of humans, particularly if those species performed an important ecological role, e.g. the Thylacine as an apex predator.

Whether we really are all that close to making something like this work though, I'm not so sure. Effectively producing clones is one thing... producing the genetic diversity required for a viable population is another.

There is also the argument that the money and effort required to do this sort of work would be better spent on preventing further extinctions.

I'd argue that the ability to breed an animal from their genetic material would be a great tool for preventing further extinctions. Not a magic bullet by any means, but might allow some genetic diversity to be brought back into existing populations. 

it would be fascinating.   does the revived specimen have in-built instincts ( ie- how to hunt etc).  is there evidence of genetic memory?

I'd say do it.  especially for something recent like the thylacine.

I imagine the early attempts will be flawed like Dolly the Sheep was.

I wonder if the prey would have lost their game too in the absence of the predator

Was Dolly all that flawed?

Lived long enough to reproduce but died young of a common disease. 

In Australia at least, a lot of prey species inherently know to fear certain predators through smell. For example, bandicoots etc. evolved with Thylacines / Devils / Quolls etc. and they instinctively avoid that scent. 

However there's a lot of controversy as to how our natives fear or don't fear introduced predators like cats and foxes as they haven't evolved to fear that scent. 

So really, recolonising a lost species would only ever be beneficial if they were going back to their existing range (i.e. Tassie Devils), otherwise you just end up wiith hyper-predation. And that's exactly what we're seeing at the moment with foxes and cats causing local extinctions left, right and centre. 

What's the point ?

Humans would have caused most of the extinctions in one way or another, so what the fark does anyone think will happen now ?

That human nature will all of a sudden change to, oh we should look out for the wildlife instead of killing it's habitats.

I know it is truly awful...

But I would visit a zoo of extinct animals.

giphy.gif

Clive Palmer is most likely already onto it.

Or one of his clones

Perhaps they could clone a sports journalist with integrity. I know they have been extinct for some time, but surely they can find the remains of one, at least.

Clive Palmer is most likely already onto it.

He'd just bring it back to life so he could eat it.

Perhaps they could clone a sports journalist with integrity. I know they have been extinct for some time, but surely they can find the remains of one, at least.

If there ever was one with sufficient integrity, they've probably turned in their grave so many times that the friction has denatured any DNA there might have been.

How about cloning Hird?

This

I'm in favour as long as the clone grows a goatee. 

Would make everyone happy.

Clone it and I'll eat it.

I’d could go a McThylacine right now.

Update: I just noticed you linked to a TED talk. If it's the same one about the freaking chickens, don't waste your time.

It's about ■■■■■.

It can't be done with today's technology and not likely to be done for decades.

As much as Riolio didn't like it that "dumb" Ted talk is the easiest way to "regenerate" a species: by applying forward selection. Get mammoths by selecting hairiest elephants at each generation and breeding from them. Get velcoiraptor-like animals by selecting for aggressive, active generations of cassowaries.

Even this won't happen because no government will fund projects that will have to run for hundreds of years (which is a blink in evolutionary time) and no millionaire will live long enough to fund such a project either. (Unless they breed and select from a short-generation animal like chickens). But then they will be risking Riolio's wrath.

thats not true, the passenger pigeon project is only a few months away from completion, its the stuff that requires the replication of a lost genome that will take longer.

thats not true, the passenger pigeon project is only a few months away from completion, its the stuff that requires the replication of a lost genome that will take longer.

What's the impact of us currently not having passenger pigeons?