Rebecca Wilson has passed away

Was in 2 minds on whether to post this, but thought it was the right thing to do.

My condolences to Rebecca’s family and friends.

LEGENDARY journalist, columnist and broadcaster Rebecca Wilson has passed away.

The award-winning sports journalist at The Daily Telegraph and The Sunday Telegraph lost her long and very private battle to cancer this morning.

Her husband John Hartigan and sons Tom and Will this morning said:

“Our amazing Bec lost her long battle against breast cancer early today.
“She passed away peacefully in the family home in Sydney while surrounded by her loved ones.

“Courage has always been a significant part of her DNA, no less in her desperate battle against her insidious disease.

“Rebecca kept knowledge of her illness a closely guarded secret. The majority of her friends, colleagues and indeed members of her family were unaware of the extent of her illness. She did so to limit their suffering.
“We are so proud that she was so fearless in her chosen role as a sports journalist. She brushed aside evil trolls, bullies and organised crime figures to prosecute her craft.

“She proved that women had an equally important role in sports journalism as her male counterparts.

“We dearly love and miss our Bec.”

Broadcaster Alan Jones broke down while paying tribute to his good friend and regular guest during his show this morning.

Jones said he had visited Wilson each day recently and spoke of her brilliance as a journalist.

“Bec was a force of nature in a way. She was brilliant, she was unsparing and unyielding as a journalist,” he said, clearly shaken by the loss.

“As one of her friends said to me ‘she was the best of all anomolies - a tomboy who held her own with the blokes, she was comfortable in her own skin, fiercely real’.”

TODAY Show host Karl Stefanovic also paid tribute to Rebecca on the breakfast show this morning, saying ‘a real light had gone out’ with her death.

Co-host Sylivia Jeffries added that Wilson had paved the way for female journalists to succeed in the traditionally blokey world of sport.

This thread will be interesting…

She was more ‘legendary’ in NSW as she was the Caroline Wilson version of NRL. Most people wouldn’t have heard of her had she not spoken out about the saga.

Condolences to her family. I wouldn’t wish breast cancer on anyone and watching someone deteriate from cancer is dreadful.

Condolences to her family. Far too young. Cancer is an insidious disease.

Couldn’t stand her as a journalist and she certainly wasn’t ‘Legendary’, but that is far too young to go and very sad and you can only feel for her family.

Cancer is the most unforgiving disease imaginable and the sooner they find a cure the better for everyone.

RIP.

A lot of us here have had way too much to do with cancer lately, and regardless how you felt about her as a journo etc. it’s an awful way to go and horrible for those close to her. Way too young!

■■■■ cancer!!!

Couldn't stand her as a journalist and she certainly wasn't 'Legendary', but that is far too young to go and very sad and you can only feel for her family.
Agreed- well put Benny

Many of us here did not like her.
But we all want to be special to someone and clearly she was to her family and friends.

Many of us here did not like her. But we all want to be special to someone and clearly she was to her family and friends.

Really nicely said. Well done.

The Chaser Eulogy Song is never so more appropriate than it is today

Liked your other post in the saga thread re: wilson better; deleted before i could like.

same feeling I had when Richard Carleton went.
thoughts with family.

Many of us here did not like her. But we all want to be special to someone and clearly she was to her family and friends.

This. End thread.

This.

I feel for her family and loved ones… and that’s about it.

Was she ever nice to the Bombers?

I think not.

I always thought she was married to Jim Wilson who does the sport in Sydney now.

I always thought she was married to Jim Wilson who does the sport in Sydney now.

Brother

I think not.

Wasn’t nice to anyone AFL and only a few NRL

I think not.

Wasn’t nice to anyone AFL and only a few NRL

Strange way to live out your final days.

Cancer is an insidious thing