Recommend me a GPS

Anyone got a GPS for their car that they would recommend?

either a portable unit under $500 or one that is an app for an iPhone that won’t chew up data or drop out all the time.

A reply to: @saladin regarding QuoteLink

Quoted Post
A reply to: @tinhillterror regarding QuoteLink
Thanks fellas.

I’m kind of drawn to getting a standalone gps that lives in the car, for around $200. Just doesn’t really make sense when the phone is probably as good if not better.

Seriously, a stand alone is heaps better to me, but the phone is the trendy thing to do.
Personally I like my phone as a phone, not sitting in some cradle on the dash doing something else.
I like that my satnav doesn’t have to be interupted to do other things.
But then hey, I still like to wear a watch because I think its a superior option to having to drag out my phone.
An uncool luddite I am it would seem.

I have a Galaxy s4 and a Tomtom … each does its job beautifully

I still like to wear a watch. Luddites unite!

You guys should setup a facebook page... Oh wait... Umm...

I paid $70 for TomTom on the phone…before you could do it via Google Maps. Much better than the satnav in the Honda.

We had our Christmas do on South Wharf last Friday, and we were told not to use Google Maps because it was wrong.

A reply to: @tinhillterror regarding QuoteLink

Thanks fellas.

I’m kind of drawn to getting a standalone gps that lives in the car, for around $200. Just doesn’t really make sense when the phone is probably as good if not better.

Seriously, a stand alone is heaps better to me, but the phone is the trendy thing to do.
Personally I like my phone as a phone, not sitting in some cradle on the dash doing something else.
I like that my satnav doesn’t have to be interupted to do other things.
But then hey, I still like to wear a watch because I think its a superior option to having to drag out my phone.
An uncool luddite I am it would seem.

I have a Galaxy s4 and a Tomtom … each does its job beautifully

Google maps.
Not quite as good as it could be at synching, but still if you’re signed in you can pin an address in chrome (pc or phone) and GMaps will have it there.
Haven’t bothered using AMaps, looked up 1 address and it told me the wrong side of the street so there’s clearly a few bugs. Is there anything it actually does better?

For me, when I’m driving, the phone is in the dock anyway.

Loving the battery life on the new phone.

I use google maps and it works a treat, just get a cradle for your phone and you’re all good. iphones use satellite connections not data, i believe so you won’t chew threw data.

Personally i’ve always used Garmin.

Quoted Post

I use google maps and it works a treat, just get a cradle for your phone and you're all good. iphones use satellite connections not data, i believe so you won't chew threw data.

Does google maps talk to you?

I kind of need one that gives you a bit of a heads up ‘keep left’ ‘in 100 metres’

yeh, so does apple maps. just type in address click directions to here using current location then navigate, or something along those lines.

it may not have the depth of instruction you need, may just try it out on the drive home or something? see if it provides what you want, if not then it might be worth looking at a garmin (have had in the past and its awesome).

http://puu.sh/dEBQx/f684385dd7.jpg

Use Apple Maps if you have an address.

Use Google Maps if you’re navigating to a business.

i believe if you look it up in safari you can open the address in apple maps?

Apple maps is still rubbish. I now have an iPhone and Google maps ■■■■■ all over it.

A reply to: @benfti regarding QuoteLink

Apple maps is still rubbish. I now have an iPhone and Google maps ■■■■■ all over it.

never had an issue on ios 7 and 8

Just buy a good satnav. Garmin, Tomtom, Navman, doesn’t really matter.

A reply to: @Reboot regarding QuoteLink

Just buy a good satnav. Garmin, Tomtom, Navman, doesn't really matter.

does garmin still do unlimited map updates (4 a year indefinitely)?

Melways

A reply to: @Barnz regarding QuoteLink

A reply to: @Reboot regarding QuoteLink
Just buy a good satnav. Garmin, Tomtom, Navman, doesn't really matter.

does garmin still do unlimited map updates (4 a year indefinitely)?

They all do these days