Recommend me a PVR

Mrs A_Thurgood pines for the days when she could easily record shows on a VCR.

As I don’t watch much TV, I haven’t kept up with digital technology. What is the easiest to use and best quality PVR available these days? (Emphasis more on ease of use for Mrs AT). Advice appreciated - especially before Dec. 25!

We use a PS3, with Play TV hooked up to ot
Blu ray
Cd
DVD
Hard drive
Plays games

Best quality, IMO is Panasonic. BUT, the remote is a bit confusing at first. Easy enough once one learns the functions.

Enough info here to knock you out: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php/forum/8-pvrs-hdd-dvd-recorders/

Depends how much you’re willing to spend, and how much you want to do with it - for example, do you want to be able to burn programs to keep?

If it was me I’d get one custom made. Funbox are here in Melbourne and will do one for you. There’s another decent mob in Richmond which will do same, but the name eludes me right now.

Thanks guys. I don’t want to get knocked out - there is too much information on forums like that and Whirlpool to distil. I just need a good suggestion to get something before the 25th, which rules out the custom products. We don’t need games, don’t need to burn programs, don’t need to record two programs while watching another (it would be lucky if we found one show a week that we would like to record) just something that would be easy for her to operate and do the job.

I agree with DonsForEver AT, I have both an analog and digital Panasonic dvd recorder and am rapt with both.

A digital one will set you back around $450-499.
Analog about $100 cheaper.

Once you work out how to operate it it’s easy to use, may take a little bit of playing around. Also they’re easy to set up.

Good luck with your search.

We’ve got a TIVO that has been very good. Wireless connection for more accurate EPG and series link recordings is handy. It’s never missed a recording, has a good interface and it hasn’t been glitchy at all. Being able to set it up to record remotely is a nice feature.

Thanks Guys! Went out and got a panasonic (before WIndy’s post).

A reply to: @Albert_Thurgood regarding QuoteLink

Thanks guys. I don't want to get knocked out - there is too much information on forums like that and Whirlpool to distil. I just need a good suggestion to get something before the 25th, which rules out the custom products. We don't need games, don't need to burn programs, don't need to record two programs while watching another (it would be lucky if we found one show a week that we would like to record) just something that would be easy for her to operate and do the job.

Go Beta… Better than VHS.

I wouldn’t recommend TiVo unless you are over 55 years old and an ultra easy interface and remote is absolutely critical (which may be the case here).

We have it. I’d go other options if I had my choice again.

A reply to: @Deckham regarding QuoteLink

A reply to: @Albert_Thurgood regarding QuoteLink
Thanks guys. I don't want to get knocked out - there is too much information on forums like that and Whirlpool to distil. I just need a good suggestion to get something before the 25th, which rules out the custom products. We don't need games, don't need to burn programs, don't need to record two programs while watching another (it would be lucky if we found one show a week that we would like to record) just something that would be easy for her to operate and do the job.

Go Beta… Better than VHS.

PANASONIC BETA 4