Recommend me some songs

I'm hoping to find some more musical common ground between my three year old daughter and me for trips in the car. My one year old son doesn't seem to care.

She loves Bob Marley (eg. Three Little Birds, One Love, Bufallo Soldier), digs on the Cure (eg. The Love Cats) and The Beatles (eg. Octopus's Garden, Yellow Submarine).

What songs can you recommend that adults and kids can enjoy together.

Coin Operated Boy - Dresden Dolls

You're Beautiful - Little Birdy(?)

Power of Love - Huey Lewis (although you might not enjoy that one much)

calypso - spiderbait

get the cure acoustic greatest hits.

dont be afraid to play music YOU love. my parents played zeppelin and sabbath and cat stevens and neil young etc when we went in the car. and i am eternally grateful for that.

unless its old school eminem or something really rude, just play your music and your kids should develop tastes like you, and later in life will start bringing you good music to listen to.

johnny b goode

My boy (almost 4) loves Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, GnR (the good years, Faith No More, Foo Fighters, etc. That’s without much prompting from me. I noticed him in the rear view mirror one day bopping his head away to “Jesus Christ Pose” by Soundgarden and it went from there. Then he dances in front of the telly to the Wiggles singing. No boundaries for kids I guess.
You could always try Closer - NIN

Who doesn't love the Wiggles?

You could always try Closer - NIN

I was waiting for that suggestion!

calypso - spiderbait

get the cure acoustic greatest hits.

dont be afraid to play music YOU love. my parents played zeppelin and sabbath and cat stevens and neil young etc when we went in the car. and i am eternally grateful for that.

unless its old school eminem or something really rude, just play your music and your kids should develop tastes like you, and later in life will start bringing you good music to listen to.

Yeah, my kids have been fed a solid diet of everything from Muddy Waters to Led Zep to Daft Punk. But my daughter's always asking for Bob Marley and the songs I previously mentioned. I don't own any Wiggles CDs.

I was thinking about putting together a playlist just for her benefit. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

HMS Donovan. 

This is a high quality album of old English folk songs and stories put together in a unique way. Also includes some Lewis Carrol material including an inspired version of  The Walrus and the Carpenter with Donovan doing all the voices, (slowed down for the Walrus) speeded up for the oysters. Interestingly he gives this version a completely different treatment to the Disney animated version. In the Disney version the Walrus eats all the oysters and is a shady, dodgy character, while the carpenter is portrayed as a half wit. In this version the Walrus is full of remorse and the carpenter is a greedy slob, both versions using exactly the same wording. This is the standout track on the entire album and is 7 + minutes long. 

Also on the album is a version of Jabberwokky and the Owl and the Pussycat.     

My kids go apeshit for the Blues Brothers soundtrack and the tune from Dukes of Hazzard.

My 1 year old nephew just went nuts for some Talking Heads.

Older Birds of Tokyo is great (Universes, Day One)

Pink Floyd

Paul Kelly's stuff is really good. 

I used to love Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds when I was little. 

Paul Dempsey (Lead singer of Somthing for Kate)

Something For Kate

There's heaps out there. 

My little brother is 12 but I started him on my music when he was about 5 or 6. His favourites were the same as mine, The Killers, The Strokes and particularly Michael Jackson. Kids get into MJ pretty easily.

Didn't get to see much of my brother in his formative years, I don't like his music and vice versa.

My little brother is 12 but I started him on my music when he was about 5 or 6. His favourites were the same as mine, The Killers, The Strokes and particularly Michael Jackson. Kids get into MJ pretty easily.

i thought it was the other way round...

My daughter really likes & sings along to Johnny Cash's version of Mercy Seat.

Riders on the storm

My kids will be brought up on Radiohead, and Radiohead only. And perhaps some Bjork.