Recommend me some songs

My kids and I bonded on Cattle Decapitation, Bloodduster and Prince.

My girls used to always tell me the following clip of Louis CK listening to Who Are You was a exact copy of me when they were kids

My boys put up with my musical taste, combined with the usual radio and peer stuff of their generation. They also got the benefit of the last few years of their grandparents, who loved music also.

They are now 21, and 18, and sometimes the only common ground we have these days is music. This will mark the third year of attending soundwave with my sons ( although we go separate ways once we enter). They love music and don’t care about genre’s or “boxes”. Its my proudest achievement.

Give them anything and everything I say, with a little parental guidance thrown in. For example, if you want to give them a taste of say, TOOL, maybe chose something like 46&2 as opposed to Prison Sex.

Also my Dad raised me on Neil Diamond. Nothing like a bit of Brother Love’s Travelling Salvation Show

Quoted Post

Also my Dad raised me on Neil Diamond. Nothing like a bit of Brother Love's Travelling Salvation Show

?

Sultans of Ping.

If your kid doesn’t like it then she could be autistic.*

*kidding

And to confirm your greatness…

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

I had sons, & they just listened to what I did, which was pretty diverse over the years, till they got into thier own stuff, but we’re a musical family & they had lots of influences around them & they now both play & write music.

But, the thread question really made me stop & think.

If I had a daughter, & was in your situation now as an older/wiser (I’d hope) Dad, and realising every situation is a learning one, I had to think, how to get the most out of it for her? Especially if I didn’t play music?

If I was hoping to give her every chance of unlocking & inspiring any creative/musical passion or talent she may have, or otherwise just programme a good sense of melody & quality music/songwriting/composition appreciation I decided that beyond the kiddie stuff, this would do nicely …

Beatles. Box set. 50 - 60 % of the time. Start with the early stuff & move through the catalogue as she grows.

Intersperse with whatever you listen to that won’t make her ears bleed or give her ADD, - the fast & loud stuff can come later, when she’s piercing her eyelids & telling you you have no fkng idea :wink: - as well as a CD or 2 of “her stuff”, a collection of anything she hears with you or elsewhere, that she starts to sing (squawk, garble) along with or independently dancing/bopping to. Anything that gets her using her pipes & happily performing to.

No Rap.

At all.

Ever

My younger brother really liked Parade of the Athletes by tiesto when he was a toddler

Don’t listen to Bloodstain.

Every kid should listen to ‘Straight Outta Compton’ by the time of their 10th birthday.

My kids love The Contortionist

Being one of the younger generation of Blitzers on here (in my twenties), I was bought up by my mother on the likes of: AC/DC, Foo Fighters, P.O.D, John Mayer, Craig David, The Police, Cog, George Michael, INXS, Stevie Wonder, SEAL, The Screaming Jets, Midnight Oil and many, many more as my mother has always been a massive music lover and subsequently passed it onto me.

She actually worked at a radio station in Sydney when she was in her early twenties and to this day says that it was the best job she has ever had (she is up to job number 14 now!) and said that she actually enjoyed and looked forward to getting up to go to work every morning.

As a result of this, it is fair to say that music is the biggest part of my life (other than footy, of course!).

Now, my taste in music as a result is “diverse” to say the least.

Some of my favourite bands/artists are:

Incubus, Paramore, Tonight Alive, Ed Sheeran, Escape The Fate, Bullet For My Valentine, Amity Affliction, Papa Roach, Falling In Reverse, Bruno Mars, John Butler, Chris Brown, Drake, Rage Against The Machine, Fall Out Boy, Hiltop Hoods, The Script, Kid Ink, Mass Undergoe, Skrillex, Save The Clock Tower, Labrinth, Dead Letter Circus, Coldplay, DMX, Maroon 5 and that is just off the top of my head.

And to be honest, there isn’t many in there that I would recommend for children especially in the 3-12 range. Some of my favourite bands like Escape The Fate or Falling In Reverse are not exactly… PG rated.

Funnily enough for someone who has such a wide and varied taste in music, I cannot stand country or jazz music and I loath most bands from the 80’s, which is my mother’s favourite genre/period of music.

Great thread though, awesome to see so many different preferences and tastes in music. It truly is fascinating to hear what everyone has been bought up on and are passing onto their rug rats.

It really does make you think what people are feeding children in the way of music these days apposed to 40 years ago, gee I had children albums an Elvis one with songs like Confidence for listening to to with Dad, plus a Disco Disney album and Mum used to feed me on the Beatles and Peter , Paul and Mary …We’re all going to the Zoo tomorrow, I had to dig hard in my early teens going through Dad’s records and discovered Johnny Cash and Creedence and thought I was on to the good stuff.
I then found all the 70’s compilation albums he had and some more Glam Rock songs. I was just getting my Rock on when the ■■■■ Rock Metal scene exploded and resonated with me, Faster Pussycat, Guns and Roses, Judas Priest, Poison but I totally found the chicks loved Slippery when Wet, Bon Jovi which I had bought on import in 1987. Used to to take it to collage and was asked to tape it maybe a Million times :lol

Quoted Post

It really does make you think what people are feeding children in the way of music these days apposed to 40 years ago...

The mistake is to assume that Beatles is to Seventies/Eighties kids is Beatles is to Millennials.
It’s like our parents being exasperated because as kids we just wouldn’t listen to Glenn Miller.

I tried to raise LMW on the Beatles and the Beach Boys but she showed zero interest. The Good Guys ad has a lot to answer for there, I think.
Instead she latched onto MJ and Queen. From there she ventured into Radiohead, and while she still loves pop (but not boy bands) her favourite act of last year was Arctic Monkeys, so something must have gone right somewhere.

I do find it more than a little amusing that some of her friends only listen to real music, like they made in the eighties.

I don’t want them to like what I like.

Get your own taste.

My “positive” musical influences on my kids were unintentional. I tried to follow the lead of Railway authorities and use music as a deterrent for layabouts, except I substituted Country for Classical. When they wouldn’t get up, I put Hank Williams’ “Hey Good Looking” on at full volume repeat. It worked twice and then they started to sing along. I tried Hank’s “My Son Calls Another Man Daddy” but the same thing happened.
Hank was just too damn good, I reckon.

KISS.

Judging by the amount of kids that go to Kiss concerts with their parents, you can’t go wrong
with Kiss for the young uns.

Back in 1998 when their album Psycho Circus came out I went out with a single mum who had
a 4yo daughter. That kid knew all the lyrics from start to finish within a couple of listens to the
title track and would sing it at the top of her lungs whenever we were in the car. She also did a
pretty mean rendition of Offspring’s Pretty Fly for a White Guy too.

Kiss and AC/DC kids love too.

Quoted Post

I'm hoping to find some more musical common ground between my three year old daughter and me for trips in the car. My one year old son doesn't seem to care.

She loves Bob Marley (eg. Three Little Birds, One Love, Bufallo Soldier), digs on the Cure (eg. The Love Cats) and The Beatles (eg. Octopus's Garden, Yellow Submarine).

What songs can you recommend that adults and kids can enjoy together.

Quoted Post

calypso - spiderbait

get the cure acoustic greatest hits.

dont be afraid to play music YOU love. my parents played zeppelin and sabbath and cat stevens and neil young etc when we went in the car. and i am eternally grateful for that.

unless its old school eminem or something really rude, just play your music and your kids should develop tastes like you, and later in life will start bringing you good music to listen to.

I remember being in about year 2 or 3, and the teachers decided to put some music on. Clearly they didn’t check what cd’s they’d put in as I still recall this rather heavy song that just started swearing. Was quite funny, I’m sure the little preppies loved it.