Recruitment of a ruckman

They can keep him & his medical bills.

Whoops! He can nominate for the draft
Does it have to be national draft or can he go st8 to PSD?

Either way… I don’t see a single AFL club willing to pay more than pick 39 (or whatever the compo was) for him. You know a club is farked when there are 8-10 guys all desperate to get out every single farking season… but this just confirms they have serious issues. If he was this valuable to you… why not offer him a contract??

Pretty dumb by Brisbane if they do this. For a start the compo pick seems about right, especially in comparison to the other compo picks. In the second place they’re threatening to match bids on a player they don’t want, who they’ve shopped around, and who doesn’t want to be there. I understand they’re trying to make a point, but the point they’re making is they can’t be trusted to do the right thing by their own guys. Thirdly, if Essendon let him go - as we should - then they’re either stuck with him, or we (or someone) end up with him for nothing in the PSD.

I’m not unhappy at this. Blessing in disguise as far as I’m concerned. Much prefer us invest in another younger ruck to develop than a perennially injured player much the same age as the other ruckmen we have.

Wow, if ever there was a spot on compo pick, this was it. If he stays at Brisbane, they can enjoy his 7 touches and a goal every second game as a forward/second ruck which is a role that really doesn’t suit him. PSD or pass.

Greg Swan just said on SEN that they will match the offer.
Pretty sure he said they were likely to match the offer. A bit different.

So hang on, let me get this straight…

If Brisbane decide to match the offer that we have given Looney and we choose not to engage in a trade with them for him (i.e. a trade better than pick 39 which is clearly what they want and expect) then he must stay at the Brisbane Lions?

Because they CANNOT delist him once they have matched our terms of contract (i.e salary and term of contract) can they? Because that is a committment to him.

So they get stuck with a guy they were happy to see go and who is behind Stef Martin in the pecking order.

Offer them pick 41

So hang on, let me get this straight...

If Brisbane decide to match the offer that we have given Looney and we choose not to engage in a trade with them for him (i.e. a trade better than pick 39 which is clearly what they want and expect) then he must stay at the Brisbane Lions?

Because they CANNOT delist him once they have matched our terms of contract (i.e salary and term of contract) can they? Because that is a committment to him.

So they get stuck with a guy they were happy to see go and who is behind Stef Martin in the pecking order.

He can either accept their offer or nominate for the draft.

Ahhh right. Thank you.
Can he elect to nominate for the PSD and not the National Draft? That would suit us more if so.

We may very well be looking at Mitch Brown around the type of pick we would need to take Looney in the National Draft.

Ahhh right. Thank you.
Can he elect to nominate for the PSD and not the National Draft? That would suit us more if so.

Rules just say “draft”, so I presume it’s the national draft?

It’s still undecided. I don’t think they will match but not with any certainty.

http://www.sen.com.au/news/10-15/swann-we-are-likely-to-match-leuenberger-offer#LC82c3jppFIZxgOq.97

Can’t we just offer him an extra $80k or something (+ super) to bump up his compo rather than waste a 2nd round pick for him?

I don’t think they will once they realize they aren’t going to do any better at the trade table.

A few clubs had fantasies about what their free agents would reap. Surprisingly only Carlton wised up early while wc and lions have thrown tanties

Suppose he would have been equally upset if they got overcompensated with pick 3?

Greg Swan just said on SEN that they will match the offer.

Yep. Pretty sure the AFL will stump up the cash so they can pay him too.

Can't we just offer him an extra $80k or something (+ super) to bump up his compo rather than waste a 2nd round pick for him?
No Once a price is lodged you cant up it

I hope we don’t even trade 41. I would rather use that on Mitch brown. Free agent, PSD or nothing.

What time do the other chest beaters tell us they are not matching?

What time do the other chest beaters tell us they are not matching?

5pm the deadline