http://www.norwoodfc.com.au/THE_TEAM/PLAYERPROFILES/18.aspx

What's Balderstone doing these days?

Getting overlooked at drafts

What's Balderstone doing these days?

Getting overlooked at drafts

When you’re not eating, you’re getting overlooked at the draft

Bump, I guess.

Hawthorn have delisted Fitzpatrick.

I reckon recruiting a ruckman will hurt Gach's development. He didn't get enough VFL ruck time this year. Go with Leuenberger/Bellchambers/McKernan (and Stewart perhaps) and Nyuon. Nyuon rucks all year in the 2s. The firsts uses Leuenberger and Bellchambers as the main guys and McKernan/Steward as the 2nd stringers. No need to carry another development player this year.
Bump, I guess.

Yeah farkin hell haha. Here we were thinking that McKernan most likely would be moved on and Gach would be the long term ruck ‘project’ ruckman.

Like the sound of Cameron

Wouldn’t mind Brooksby or maybe Minson on a rookie for a year

Wouldn't mind Brooksby or maybe Minson on a rookie for a year

No. You get nothing out of drafting Minson for a year. If we were on the cusp of a flag and were super insecure about your ruck stocks, maybe. You’re better getting one of the younger state league blokes you mentioned in your earlier post. At least one of them will likely still be around come the rookie draft. Way more upside long-term.

The other option is to shuffle Smack to the rookie list and draft a ruckman we like in the National draft but I doubt that will happen.

No. You get nothing out of drafting Minson for a year. If we were on the cusp of a flag and were super insecure about your ruck stocks, maybe. You’re better getting one of the younger state league blokes you mentioned in your earlier post. At least one of them will likely still be around come the rookie draft. Way more upside long-term.

The other option is to shuffle Smack to the rookie list and draft a ruckman we like in the National draft but I doubt that will happen.

I was just thinking can one of the state blokes come in and play round 1 if leuy and belly get injured?

I would love a state bloke especially cameron but worse case we get a stop gap for a year

I was just thinking can one of the state blokes come in and play round 1 if leuy and belly get injured?

I would love a state bloke especially cameron but worse case we get a stop gap for a year

If one of them gets injured it is ok. I think we will/should only ever play one of them in the senior side at the same time.

If both of them get injured you still have McKernan which certainly isn’t ideal as he is a touch undersized but he’d do a job or if this state league player is deemed to be not far off (depending how raw we go) then he gets a shot.

And whilst not impossible given their histories you’d be stiff if Looney and Belly were both injured at the same time anyway. You can’t budget for everything.

No Minson type for me.

We must have our eye on someone young and talented if we are delisting Gach. Wouldn’t make sense otherwise. Ruckmen take time to develop, so you ideally would have one in the reserves.

We must have our eye on someone young and talented if we are delisting Gach. Wouldn't make sense otherwise. Ruckmen take time to develop, so you ideally would have one in the reserves.

I think losing Gach could have been a reflection on the fact that all of our ruck options have a knock on them and you can’t play one in the seniors and 3 in the reserves and hope to develop a young ruckman at the same time. Ego admitted Gach was in an awkward spot because there was Jamar, Smack and Michael in front of him as ruck options.

So the answer probably is you do have to let your rucks develop elsewhere, and when they have AFL potential recruit them then.

We unfortunately have to plan for having Leuey and TBC injured (or out of form or both) at the same time and have a bulletproof genuine ruck ready to go either as a rookie or on the main list. So a Darcy Cameron type would suit, and maybe Smack gets kept because he can stay on the field when not rucking and still be a useful forward option in the VFL, and if he is fully fit, he can compete in the ruck if we are desperate.

We must have our eye on someone young and talented if we are delisting Gach. Wouldn't make sense otherwise. Ruckmen take time to develop, so you ideally would have one in the reserves.

Hoping we get 2 a big lug like Darcy and a ruck forward like Cameron who has elite BT times at around 13.1

I think losing Gach could have been a reflection on the fact that all of our ruck options have a knock on them and you can’t play one in the seniors and 3 in the reserves and hope to develop a young ruckman at the same time. Ego admitted Gach was in an awkward spot because there was Jamar, Smack and Michael in front of him as ruck options.

So the answer probably is you do have to let your rucks develop elsewhere, and when they have AFL potential recruit them then.

We unfortunately have to plan for having Leuey and TBC injured (or out of form or both) at the same time and have a bulletproof genuine ruck ready to go either as a rookie or on the main list. So a Darcy Cameron type would suit, and maybe Smack gets kept because he can stay on the field when not rucking and still be a useful forward option in the VFL, and if he is fully fit, he can compete in the ruck if we are desperate.

From what we saw of his work in the ruck this year, we would have to be very ■■■■■■ desperate to turn to Smack next season.

I wouldn’t move McKernan to the rookie list - What happens if Leunberger and Bellchambers have short term injuries at the same time, and you are unable to promote MCkernan from the rookie list - You are demoting McKernan from the primary list to the rookie list, to choose a player in the ND, but yet between EFC’s last selection in the ND and pick 1 in the RD may only be 5 or 6 positions.

ruck stocks are an interesting concept.
The theory of having 4 spots on a list to cover that one spot is difficult cos essentially you’re no1 ruck will get most of the game time, you’re no.2 has to accept his spot and role and do his best when needed, and spots 3 and 4 are there for developing players.

However in any one year pretty much no matter what, if ruck 1 and 2 go down, you’re screwed anyway. Look at WC, soon as nic nat went down, they were screwed.

If gach was doing all the right things off of the field, then his delisting seems odd, as you wouldn’t be expecting him to break into the side for another 2-4 years so the expectation of him wouldn’t be that great, and his ego essentially wouldn’t be dragging him off to another club if he was able to show some promising signs.

Not a bad delisting by any stretch, but eh.

^
Ruck is tricky because it’s the only position where you can’t play 2-3 guys there during the game
Eg if you have 3 developing key forwards you probably can play them all in the one side at reserves level, if you have 3 developing rucks then really only 1 is likely to get substantial game time, maybe 2 if you go closer to 50:50
Almost needs to be a gentleman’s agreement that all AFL clubs will play their rookied ruckman in the development league lol

Wonder if the AFL will get more and more concerned about losing 200cm athletes to other sports and implement some sort of rookie type list exemption.

Of course if lists were 50 it wouldn’t matter if Nyuon played vfl 3rds for 2 years.