Recruitment of a ruckman

I think SMACKs 2015 year as a ruckman has been undeservedly downgraded by many. In 2015 when he replaced TBell in the ruck the rest of the team had gone awol, and the team as a whole was on the skids, losing badly.

SMack is a bit more than a placeholder in the ruck. In 2015 his 2nd and 3rd efforts enabled him to get quite a few clearances even if he was at the low end of hitouts. However he has to learn not to give away so many frees when rucking.

Comparing Leuenberger 2016 and SMACK 2015 it is clear that as a pure ruckman, measured by hitouts Leuie is far superior. But in terms of averages, SMACK gained more possessions by far, averaged more clearances, more marks , more contested marks, more inside 50s, and kicked more goals in 9 games than Leuie did in 20.

In 2015 SMack played with a lot of heart . If only he could bring his best consistently.

Wonder if the AFL will get more and more concerned about losing 200cm athletes to other sports and implement some sort of rookie type list exemption.

Of course if lists were 50 it wouldn’t matter if Nyuon played vfl 3rds for 2 years.

200cm is too short even at NBL level unless you can play 3 or 4 (in which case you’d need to be Pendlebury skills in NicNat body)
Rugby union maybe, but most AFL ruckman start out as beanpoles and those guys are 110kg+
Rowing, volleyball definitely but who even plays those sports?
Athletics (shot, hammer, discus) probably similar situation to RU in that mass isn’t going to be there

Outside of private schools, I’d hazard a guess the tall kids are playing footy and basketball (at least in Tas, WA, Vic and SA). In the rugby states they may gravitate more towards rowing and volleyball (or even swimming)

While I agree, it’s about opportunity. If teams aren’t drafting 18yo ruck types the tall guys at 16 might decide there’s no reason to persist with footy when they could be playing another sport. The RU guys…sure they are heavier, but an 18yo developing guy who’s 200+cm who knows that at AFL he will need 5 years and 30kgs until he gets a look in on a list may no longer have a compelling reason to stick to AFL over RU where he’s also 5 years and 30kgs off getting an opportunity.

If the AFL’s development pathway is no longer there for these super tall guys who everyone knows ‘take longer’ and they’re left playing state league seconds at 18, 19, 20, with no guarantees, then it’s harder to convince them to hang around. If they’re on a list doing that, with clear development pathways it’s one thing, but being not on an AFL list means that some will be lost.

And if there’s one thing the AFL has hated, it’s losing anything to any other sport!

What's Balderstone doing these days?

still building bridges!

While I agree, it's about opportunity. If teams aren't drafting 18yo ruck types the tall guys at 16 might decide there's no reason to persist with footy when they could be playing another sport. The RU guys...sure they are heavier, but an 18yo developing guy who's 200+cm who knows that at AFL he will need 5 years and 30kgs until he gets a look in on a list may no longer have a compelling reason to stick to AFL over RU where he's also 5 years and 30kgs off getting an opportunity.

If the AFL’s development pathway is no longer there for these super tall guys who everyone knows ‘take longer’ and they’re left playing state league seconds at 18, 19, 20, with no guarantees, then it’s harder to convince them to hang around. If they’re on a list doing that, with clear development pathways it’s one thing, but being not on an AFL list means that some will be lost.

And if there’s one thing the AFL has hated, it’s losing anything to any other sport!

Rookie list category C (or maybe another type of B ): Players over 200cm under 23 years of age - with an expectation that they may be playing below VFL level initially. I reckon there should be space for 2 of these.

If Gach wasn’t picked up at all at last years draft because of his lack of physical presence and game sense, we now could have looked to get him nominated as a Category B rookie as a player from a multicultural background. Because he was All Australian U18 ruck, he probably wouldn’t have made it that far, but that is another matter, however, it may be better to look to get tall Sudanese players onto AFL lists this way, if they aren’t ready to go at least at VFL level, rather than struggle to justify a category A rookie list place.

You’d be stiff if you were 199cm lol

You'd be stiff if you were 199cm lol

Give or take 10%

Smack is such an interesting and frustrating player. He is too short for ruck and it reflects in the number of frees he gives away in contests. In 2015 he was great around the ground but that fell away in 2016 when he wasn’t the exclusive ruckman. He was recruited to be a ruck forward, but unless he is engaged in the play all the time, he can get lost and be uncompetitive as a forward. Ryder suffered from this a lot and only really in his last year with us did he become more consistent when in the ruck and up forward.

I can understand why they are keeping him, because of his size and versatility, but he is not a solution for the ruck on a long term basis. I haven’t watched any VFL games but from my understanding in the VFL he dominates as a forward. That doesn’t translate to AFL. It could also be because of our delivery etc but maybe with the team back and all the crap behind us he could perform better as a forward?

We still need to recruit a genuine ruckman to develop with Gach gone maybe even two, but I think the list management for 2016 has been excellent.

Smack is such an interesting and frustrating player. He is too short for ruck and it reflects in the number of frees he gives away in contests. In 2015 he was great around the ground but that fell away in 2016 when he wasn't the exclusive ruckman. He was recruited to be a ruck forward, but unless he is engaged in the play all the time, he can get lost and be uncompetitive as a forward. Ryder suffered from this a lot and only really in his last year with us did he become more consistent when in the ruck and up forward.

I can understand why they are keeping him, because of his size and versatility, but he is not a solution for the ruck on a long term basis. I haven’t watched any VFL games but from my understanding in the VFL he dominates as a forward. That doesn’t translate to AFL. It could also be because of our delivery etc but maybe with the team back and all the crap behind us he could perform better as a forward?

We still need to recruit a genuine ruckman to develop with Gach gone maybe even two, but I think the list management for 2016 has been excellent.

Great post. I agree with everything you have said there. Also worth noting is that he was playing injured this year from what I hear. Your point about delivery into the fwd line is very valid. In 2015 our fwd’s had no chance with the stagnate ball movement. WIth quicker ball movement like we displayed late in the year there is no reason he can become a Fwd / pinch hit ruckman. But his job has been made more difficult with the recruitment of Stewart.

If anyone can iron out his kicking, I’d say the Hawks could be the side that could do it. My feel is he goes late draft, so he could be a really good get if things work out. He has the power and intangibles that I give him a fighting chance, which is all you can ask for late draft sometimes.

I have covered Ratugolea quite frequently in my weekly wraps (which can be found on page one). These are a few samples of some of the things I’ve written about Ratugolea from a quick search:
Esava Ratugolea in the last month has proven a real find for Murray in the TAC Cup with four and eight goals in his previous two outings. Against South Australia, Ratugolea stepped into the Vic Country squad and showed some attributes that made recruiters and fans alike sit up and take notice.

Ratugolea is of Fijian heritage and having only picked up the game a few years ago is said to have progressed strongly off the back of an outstanding pre-season. At 194cm, 95kg, Ratugolea while not as tall, has a physical profile reminiscent of Nic Naitanui with his power, speed and leap all attributes he uses to have an impact.

Ratugolea took several impressive aerial marks, using his spring to get up high, and his strong hands to take the marks. Ratugolea also at ground level showed some terrific signs and made a particularly impressive play when he gave a second effort, diving and tapping the loose ball onto a teammate who went on to gain possession.

What let Ratugolea down in this game was his footskills - at stages missing a snap at goal from 10m with no angle, kicking the ball out on the full from 40m directly in front and missing a target on another kick around the ground.

Ratugolea as well as playing forward also has featured through the ruck, though was soundly beaten in those minutes he relived Darcy.

While Esava Ratugolea had just 10 disposals, six marks (four contested), 16 hitouts and one score assist, his play was astounding. Ratugolea consistently flew at packs for contested marks, bringing down a number of them, but his ability to simply get to contests and compete was impressive. This type of play is something that AFL recruiters look for in forwards, so that is a big tick for Ratugolea. One area the big man can work on would be his overhead marking which if perfected could see him turn into a powerful AFL forward.

From Knightmare could hardly do worse then pick him with our last pick

and his thoughts on ruckman we could pick up

There are lots of ruck options late/rookie.

Sean Darcy, Jordan Sweet, Jeremy Goddard and Peter Ladhams of the u18s should be there in that range.

Rowan Marshall and Darcy Cameron as mature agers could also be considered.

Only information i can find on Sweet
Another ruckman who has developed impressively in the past few months is the 200cm Jordan Sweet, with the South Australian improving his fitness to compete strongly in the SANFL.

Sweet entered the national academy last year and travelled to America with the group in January, but has stepped up his running ability since the training camp and will lead SA’s midfield at the national carnival.

Ladhams
Peter Ladhams continued to show that he can be more than just a ruckman with two goals and one score assist, playing the relieving ruck role for Norwood.

Goddard
Jeremy Goddard is someone who showed plenty of good signs in 2015 and has begun the year well at WAFL Colts level averaging 35 hit outs per game. 2016 will be a year with plenty of choice for ruckman to be drafted- Whether we see one as high as Brodie Grundy (Pick 18) in 2012 it remains to be seen. Goddard will share the ruck duties for Western Australia with Tim English. Goddard follows up his ruckwork well around the ground, showing his physicality laying strong tackles.

Ratulogea sounds Majak-esque

Tom Downie still unsigned. Not a fan but he may be better than Cameron and Marshall etc…

Tom Downie still unsigned. Not a fan but he may be better than Cameron and Marshall etc...
Got pantsed against Jamar Leuy this year

Doesn’t read well
http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/117323/Tom-DOWNIE

^ Ruck is tricky because it's the only position where you can't play 2-3 guys there during the game Eg if you have 3 developing key forwards you probably can play them all in the one side at reserves level, if you have 3 developing rucks then really only 1 is likely to get substantial game time, maybe 2 if you go closer to 50:50 Almost needs to be a gentleman's agreement that all AFL clubs will play their rookied ruckman in the development league lol

I’m pretty sure there’s nothing stopping clubs from dropping players to lower levels if they want to.

^ Ruck is tricky because it's the only position where you can't play 2-3 guys there during the game Eg if you have 3 developing key forwards you probably can play them all in the one side at reserves level, if you have 3 developing rucks then really only 1 is likely to get substantial game time, maybe 2 if you go closer to 50:50 Almost needs to be a gentleman's agreement that all AFL clubs will play their rookied ruckman in the development league lol

I’m pretty sure there’s nothing stopping clubs from dropping players to lower levels if they want to.

There isn’t, but if they do the players are playing at a level 2 away from the top so quality isn’t as high. Not such a problem for ruckman that the overall standard is lower, but specifically the development ruckman are probably either 18 y/old bean poles or undersized which is a big disadvantage in terms of development for the afl listed guy

I've seen Oscar McInerney play and he's got heaps of upside.

I thought we were linked to McInerney last year as well?

What’s Ricky Mott doing these days?

What's Ricky Mott doing these days?
Working for The Age ?
If anyone can iron out his kicking, I'd say the Hawks could be the side that could do it. My feel is he goes late draft, so he could be a really good get if things work out. He has the power and intangibles that I give him a fighting chance, which is all you can ask for late draft sometimes.

I have covered Ratugolea quite frequently in my weekly wraps (which can be found on page one). These are a few samples of some of the things I’ve written about Ratugolea from a quick search:
Esava Ratugolea in the last month has proven a real find for Murray in the TAC Cup with four and eight goals in his previous two outings. Against South Australia, Ratugolea stepped into the Vic Country squad and showed some attributes that made recruiters and fans alike sit up and take notice.

Ratugolea is of Fijian heritage and having only picked up the game a few years ago is said to have progressed strongly off the back of an outstanding pre-season. At 194cm, 95kg, Ratugolea while not as tall, has a physical profile reminiscent of Nic Naitanui with his power, speed and leap all attributes he uses to have an impact.

Ratugolea took several impressive aerial marks, using his spring to get up high, and his strong hands to take the marks. Ratugolea also at ground level showed some terrific signs and made a particularly impressive play when he gave a second effort, diving and tapping the loose ball onto a teammate who went on to gain possession.

What let Ratugolea down in this game was his footskills - at stages missing a snap at goal from 10m with no angle, kicking the ball out on the full from 40m directly in front and missing a target on another kick around the ground.

Ratugolea as well as playing forward also has featured through the ruck, though was soundly beaten in those minutes he relived Darcy.

While Esava Ratugolea had just 10 disposals, six marks (four contested), 16 hitouts and one score assist, his play was astounding. Ratugolea consistently flew at packs for contested marks, bringing down a number of them, but his ability to simply get to contests and compete was impressive. This type of play is something that AFL recruiters look for in forwards, so that is a big tick for Ratugolea. One area the big man can work on would be his overhead marking which if perfected could see him turn into a powerful AFL forward.

From Knightmare could hardly do worse then pick him with our last pick

and his thoughts on ruckman we could pick up

There are lots of ruck options late/rookie.

Sean Darcy, Jordan Sweet, Jeremy Goddard and Peter Ladhams of the u18s should be there in that range.

Rowan Marshall and Darcy Cameron as mature agers could also be considered.

Only information i can find on Sweet
Another ruckman who has developed impressively in the past few months is the 200cm Jordan Sweet, with the South Australian improving his fitness to compete strongly in the SANFL.

Sweet entered the national academy last year and travelled to America with the group in January, but has stepped up his running ability since the training camp and will lead SA’s midfield at the national carnival.

Ladhams
Peter Ladhams continued to show that he can be more than just a ruckman with two goals and one score assist, playing the relieving ruck role for Norwood.

Goddard
Jeremy Goddard is someone who showed plenty of good signs in 2015 and has begun the year well at WAFL Colts level averaging 35 hit outs per game. 2016 will be a year with plenty of choice for ruckman to be drafted- Whether we see one as high as Brodie Grundy (Pick 18) in 2012 it remains to be seen. Goddard will share the ruck duties for Western Australia with Tim English. Goddard follows up his ruckwork well around the ground, showing his physicality laying strong tackles.

I like Darcy! What are our VFL rucks like? If not from our own VFL team and delisted AFL rucks where else can we find them? Basketball? We need a guy over 200cm

I’d take Goddard over Cameron, did better in every category in testing, is younger and if i remember correctly also taller