Remembering Gentleman Jack

Should start a petition for a Statue at the G.

I had the pleasure of meeting Jack several years ago on a tour of Windy Hill he led alongside Ken Fraser. As a young bloke, I remember him as being kind, approachable, and giving. A class act.

1 Like

Farewell Jack. You will be sadly missed but fondly remembered.

2 Likes

R.I.P. to a club legend and a wonderful man.

Thought he might have been the oldest living Essendon player, but Harold Lambert is 97.

1 Like

Good luck picking the 10 allowed at the funeral.

FFS.

3 Likes

Vale gentleman Jack, so sorry that your family and friends and all of us can’t mourn you together for now.

2 Likes

RIP Jack, true legend of this country not just our club.

1 Like

If ever there was a man who exemplified sauvitor in modo, fortiter in re , it was Jack. RIP #24 :cry:

One of the nicest blokes I have ever met.

He’ll have plenty of mates to catch up with.

5 Likes

RIP Jack.

I would like to share a personal story. Please indulge me.

Back in '97 I was about to get ‘kicked out’ of Australia for the first time (being at the end of my Uni visa). I was fairly distraught having to leave all my mates and then gf. And, there were all these rumors of Wanga leaving for Port which was the cherry on top.

One particularly sad day when I knew I had but a week left I decided to hop on a train to Essendon and pay one last visit to Windy Hill. Walked around the oval, stole a patch of grass, had the change room doors banged shut on my face by an angry Gary O’Donnell and then made my way to what was a rather modest museum.

“How you goin’ young man?”

I turned and there was this grizzly, full-haired, senior citizen staring with a friendly smile at me.

Jack.

I don’t know if my face gave it away or if he was just perceptive but I was really not in a good place.

“Here, let me show you around.”

For the next hour he walked me through the premiership cups, stories of the post-war teams, what he thought of Sheeds (all good), and how close he thought our young ones were to winning again.

I managed a smile at the end of it. A true human moment.

Thank you, Jack. That hour meant more to me than you will ever know. RIP.

38 Likes

This man really was and still is Mr Essendon. He’s everything that’s great about the auld club and kept that culture alive. Essendon is a different club to the one that I started following nearly 40 years ago and a quantum leap from when Jack Jones started following then playing for. I wished I could’ve asked him about his impressions of the club back then. We’re so lucky as a club to have passionate people like him, look at some of these new franchises, it simply cannot he bought.

Vale.

5 Likes

met him once and was impressed by the gentleman he showed me around the bombers museum when i was down from the territory. no big noting just a decent bloke R.I.P Jack

1 Like

Rest in Peace Jack,
have seen him involved in some club media pieces and documentary’s.

never got to see him play.

But he loved the club dearly.

1 Like

Nah…better that a statue be erected close to Longy at the Hangar

6 Likes

Maybe not the time to be pedantic, but…
Wanganeen was already at Port in '97.

And right you are! The tricks the mind plays. I could have sworn he left at the end of '97.

Don’t you remember his losing us the final vs the Bears with his miss from the top of the goal square?

That’s why we sacked him.

4 Likes