Retrofitting Double Glazing

We’ve tinted all our windows. Works really well in summer, haven’t noticed any difference in winter.

Me and my better half renovated a 60 year old weatherboard house in the Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne. Took out all the plaster and re plastered it, with all walls and ceilings insulated. Windows (all 10 with 10 different locks) were replaced with Eurotech UPVC double glazed windows. Best thing we did with the renovations. Not only cuts down on heat loss in winter and heat gain in summer, but it’s like putting earmuffs on the house. The house has no airconditioning, just ceiling fans. On a 40 degree day, top temperature of 26 inside. The double glazed is worth the expense, especially if the rest of the house is insulated. Eurotech take the old windows away and do a great job installing the new windows. The frames are made in Germany, the glass in the Eastern Suburbs.

Me and my better half renovated a 60 year old weatherboard house in the Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne. Took out all the plaster and re plastered it, with all walls and ceilings insulated. Windows (all 10 with 10 different locks) were replaced with Eurotech UPVC double glazed windows. Best thing we did with the renovations. Not only cuts down on heat loss in winter and heat gain in summer, but it's like putting earmuffs on the house. The house has no airconditioning, just ceiling fans. On a 40 degree day, top temperature of 26 inside. The double glazed is worth the expense, especially if the rest of the house is insulated. Eurotech take the old windows away and do a great job installing the new windows. The frames are made in Germany, the glass in the Eastern Suburbs.

Would you mind telling me what they charged you for that? And how long ago was it? They quoted me $67 K last night for 9 windows (3 of which are enormous whole-wall windows) and immediately offered me an 8% discount, plus a further 15% if I signed up last night. I didn’t. I was not impressed with the tactics (or the 3-hour demo/sales talk that preceded it), although I have to admit I am impressed with the product.

We have a great local company who have brought their European expertise to making double glazed windows locally, have a factory in Ballan.

http://www.paarhammer.com.au/contact

Nice people and good products.

“Would you mind telling me what they charged you for that? And how long ago was it? They quoted me $67 K last night for 9 windows (3 of which are enormous whole-wall windows) and immediately offered me an 8% discount, plus a further 15% if I signed up last night. I didn’t. I was not impressed with the tactics (or the 3-hour demo/sales talk that preceded it), although I have to admit I am impressed with the product”.

I believe we paid 20K (but i can confirm when i get home tonight) There were 11 windows of various sizes and one sliding door (none were a whole wall) The biggest were 3 x 3 x 2m (or thereabouts) We had one old window converted to a double glazed sliding door.

We had them changed over in 2006/2007 and back then it was the owner who came out and did the work and the quote. Back then they didn’t use sales staff and paid no one commission. The first quote we got was from certainteed and it was closer to 40K, i was actually going to cancel Eurotech because of the first quote, but didn’t and was surprised when we got the quotes. There were no pressure tactics or 3 hr demos back then. It sounds like things have changed, a lot.

The product is great, we have the tilt and turn windows. I may have received a discount as i modified the window openings when they took out the old windows. and did the trim, inside and out. I will give you the sizes we got (then you can compare the square metres of your windows). Nearly 10 years have passed since we got them, so there would be some increase over that time. But if they we willing to knock 23% off straight away, that means they have a lot of room for discount. I will look at the receipts tonight and get back to you.

"Would you mind telling me what they charged you for that? And how long ago was it? They quoted me $67 K last night for 9 windows (3 of which are enormous whole-wall windows) and immediately offered me an 8% discount, plus a further 15% if I signed up last night. I didn't. I was not impressed with the tactics (or the 3-hour demo/sales talk that preceded it), although I have to admit I am impressed with the product".

I believe we paid 20K (but i can confirm when i get home tonight) There were 11 windows of various sizes and one sliding door (none were a whole wall) The biggest were 3 x 3 x 2m (or thereabouts) We had one old window converted to a double glazed sliding door.

We had them changed over in 2006/2007 and back then it was the owner who came out and did the work and the quote. Back then they didn’t use sales staff and paid no one commission. The first quote we got was from certainteed and it was closer to 40K, i was actually going to cancel Eurotech because of the first quote, but didn’t and was surprised when we got the quotes. There were no pressure tactics or 3 hr demos back then. It sounds like things have changed, a lot.

The product is great, we have the tilt and turn windows. I may have received a discount as i modified the window openings when they took out the old windows. and did the trim, inside and out. I will give you the sizes we got (then you can compare the square metres of your windows). Nearly 10 years have passed since we got them, so there would be some increase over that time. But if they we willing to knock 23% off straight away, that means they have a lot of room for discount. I will look at the receipts tonight and get back to you.

I’ve been talking also to a company called Sustainable Construction Services who have a German product and are willing to talk figures to me without seeing our place on the basis of what I tell them. Of course they’re not binding quotes in those circumstances, but it looks like about a third of the price quoted by Ecostar. I’m simply not going to deal with Ecostar after the ridiculous hard-sell plus super-inflated quote followed by immediate huge reduction.

I’ve been talking also to a company called Sustainable Construction Services who have a German product and are willing to talk figures to me without seeing our place on the basis of what I tell them. Of course they’re not binding quotes in those circumstances, but it looks like about a third of the price quoted by Ecostar. I’m simply not going to deal with Ecostar after the ridiculous hard-sell plus super-inflated quote followed by immediate huge reduction.

Sorry that i took longer to reply. but i had trouble tracking down the figures (actually i thought they were too low to start with). We had 2 windows @ 3 x 2m, 1 small bathroom window 1.3 x 1.2m, Sliding door 3 x 2.4m, small kitchen window 2.3 x 1.2m installed in 2004 at a cost of $9500. Then in 2006 we got 3 windows @ 1.9 x 1.2m, 1 window @ 3 x 2m and a 2nd bathroom window @ 1.3m x 1.2m for about $5500. for a total of about $15000. No doubt the prices would be higher since then. You mentioned Ecostar in your latest post regarding the ridiculous quote. Was it Ecostar or Eurotech?

I worked out when we got the windows that Eurotech didn’t pay sales staff unlike Certainteed and figured the prices were so different because of that. Not sure what they do now, but i did enquire about replacing the front and back doors (a future project) and dealt with the owner Evgen and that was about 2 years ago but I can’t locate the quote for that.

I've been talking also to a company called Sustainable Construction Services who have a German product and are willing to talk figures to me without seeing our place on the basis of what I tell them. Of course they're not binding quotes in those circumstances, but it looks like about a third of the price quoted by Ecostar. I'm simply not going to deal with Ecostar after the ridiculous hard-sell plus super-inflated quote followed by immediate huge reduction.

Sorry that i took longer to reply. but i had trouble tracking down the figures (actually i thought they were too low to start with). We had 2 windows @ 3 x 2m, 1 small bathroom window 1.3 x 1.2m, Sliding door 3 x 2.4m, small kitchen window 2.3 x 1.2m installed in 2004 at a cost of $9500. Then in 2006 we got 3 windows @ 1.9 x 1.2m, 1 window @ 3 x 2m and a 2nd bathroom window @ 1.3m x 1.2m for about $5500. for a total of about $15000. No doubt the prices would be higher since then. You mentioned Ecostar in your latest post regarding the ridiculous quote. Was it Ecostar or Eurotech?

I worked out when we got the windows that Eurotech didn’t pay sales staff unlike Certainteed and figured the prices were so different because of that. Not sure what they do now, but i did enquire about replacing the front and back doors (a future project) and dealt with the owner Evgen and that was about 2 years ago but I can’t locate the quote for that.

It’s Ecostar that I got the quote from, and my mistake in not reading your earlier post properly. Sorry. The prices you got from Eurotech seem to be excellent. I agree though that prices have probably gone up since you had yours done.

Massive bump.

Any recent thoughts. What would I be looking at for a 3.5m X 2.1m back double glazed window/door setup?

We ended up not retrofitting double glazing at all. Our window sizes were non-standard which made it prohibitive no matter which company we asked.

1 Like

Mrs frosty had organised a lot to come and quote on the door/window. Half way through I thought “I am sure I read about this on blitz” quick search led me to this thread. And fair to say when Mrs frosty texted me from the other room “they’re never going to leave are they”, she thought this thread provided an accurate description of ecostars sales pitch :slight_smile

Product looked ok, but far out, it felt like I was in a demtel commercial.

Will talk to some others and work out what Mrs frosty actually wants…

(and I did feel for the young sales woman giving the pitch while having her technique assessed by a more senior sales guy, must be a tough gig.)

1 Like

I recommend watching both seasons

1 Like