Return of The Reserves

The AFL believes in total world domination. A lot of country leagues are pretty unhappy with them and I’m sure the Taswegians aren’t real pleased.

I think Gil sees himself as the new Putin, and if I were James Hird, I’d be checking my tea for radioactive materials or nerve gas.

2 Likes

Everything the AFL do is in self interest. This is too. The VFL has done a great job and carved out a niche, I enjoy watching their games and get excited when we make finals- VFL footy at the local grounds is great.

If the state comps peeter out because of this it won’t be a good thing.

5 Likes

A lot are assuming the games will be curtain raisers, would Etihad cope with up to 6 games a weekend?

Let’s see if it can even cope with 1 game a weekend after a concert a week before.

The AFL completely farked the old VFA but i would still like to see curtain raisers between all Afl clubs who have stand alone reserves.

In the yes camp.

How many of us used to get to games early to watch the 2s before the seniors? Anyone over the age of 30 probably.

Not often the AFL and its clubs collectively do something totally right but this a winner.

To a point yes.

Only last year the metro leagues and the country leagues played off and there are rankings as per each league. For example the Geelong Football League and the Eastern Football league are the top 2 community leagues in the state.

The Ammos, tired of beating the metro comps all the time, have their own rep games. Matches against the Adelaide Football league (otherwise known as the South Australian Amateur and Metropolitan League), the West Australian Amateur Football League, the Old Scholars Football Association (Tasmanaia) and a combined NSW/ACT side are features…as well as playing combined Victorian Country Football League sides are slightly different to everyone else. They also have touring parties to New Zealand and Ireland.

I used to love getting to games early so I could watch Scott Cummings. Not to mention the American footballer we had on the list for a while who looked like a rock with legs.

2 Likes

Dwayne Armstrong! Oh the fun times watching him and Werner Reiterer, who I think used to do discus or hammer throw!

Does this mean our near 20 year era of being defending reserves premiers could be over.

1 Like

What about Goana Tutlin or whatever his name was? The big Sudenese fella.

Just assuming here, but the academy zones they’ve been talking about for all clubs may roll over into reserves top up zones which, in the context of Tasmania means the best players have a pathway through the hawks and that other team that plays down there (forgotten their name). The afl isn’t interested in state leagues and this gives Tasmanian kids a pathway so it will be portrayed as a positive.

I expect will want AFL reserves to be the second best comp, could this mean crows/port will have free pick over sanfl players to fill the reserves?

Will hack country footy everywhere.